• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: 50 Years Ago Today

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't alive at the time, but still thought it appropriate to start a thread.

Since I don't have my own "where was I when Kennedy was shot" story, I'll tell my Dad's that I heard growing up:

"I was driving an auto-parts delivery truck with no radio. I stopped at one dealership (he didn't say that, I just don't remember the name), dropped off some parts, chatted for a few minutes, then headed on my way to the next dealership at about 20 minutes after 1. The next dealership was about 30 minutes away. I arrived and went inside to find everyone gathered around a small TV in the manager's office. That's when I heard the news.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young, super wealthy, capable of galvanizing the populace, didn't mind rocking the boat, he was too much of a threat to the establishment to keep around. I don't think there were any shooters other than Oswald but I don't think he was acting alone.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before some moron comes in with "it was a good day when that commie was shot." nonsense and this thread turns into a meltdown.

He was a thoughtful and progressive president. There haven't been many of those in the developed world since JFK was gunned down.

I think Oswald was only a small part of it.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading up on the Kennedy's is fascinating. A lot of what if's. Like the oldest Kennedy boy, Joe Jr, was being groomed to become what JFK eventually became but died in a plane crash during WW2. What if he doesn't die? Does he become President? And subsequently then JFK could've become President? The Kennedy's would've been even more of a political force than they already were.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a day worthy of rememberence. A great leader, and brave Second World War veteran. You just have to wonder what the sixties would have been like had JFK lived and was re-elected in 64...

:rip: JFK

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was a decent man and president but think the fact he was killed changes a lot of people's perspectives. If he wasnt killed, I am not sure he is so loved. Admittedly I am not a big Kennedy family fan, I dont like Joe and besides John and Robert I think most of the rest are elitist and/or idiots.

In before some moron comes in with "it was a good day when that commie was shot." nonsense and this thread turns into a meltdown.

He was a thoughtful and progressive president. There haven't been many of those in the developed world since JFK was gunned down.

I think Oswald was only a small part of it.

I dont want my post to be thought of like that. I am sorry he was killed and wish it would have never happened. If he had not been killed I think the last 50 years would have been changed for the better. I really do.

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't alive when it happened (just missed it by a hair), but I've always been fascinated it by this historical event (have discussed it with my dad on numerous occasions as he is a hisotory buff). Nasty said it well above, he wanted to change things and he definitely wanted to knock down the establishment). You can pick and choose what you want to believe out of 'JFK', but every so often, I sit down and watch that movie because it was very well done by Stone.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was a decent man and president but think the fact he was killed changes a lot of people's perspectives. If he wasnt killed, I am not sure he is so loved. Admittedly I am not a big Kennedy family fan, I dont like Joe and besides John and Robert I think most of the rest are elitist and/or idiots.

Agreed 100%. Untimely death has a way of causing individuals to become overrated (Kurt Cobain, Chris Farley) so there is no telling what would've happened.

As for the Kennedy family, certainly some terrible people in that family tree. Like Poppa Joe forcing Rosemary Kennedy to have a lobotomy and hiding her in a psychiatric hospital so she wouldn't ruin her brother's political career.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad was drafted on the same day. He really thought he was in for it - there was no telling whether the Cold War was about to go "hot".

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My dad mentioned a couple of times to me that the only reason JFK was in Texas was because his poll numbers were tanking.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was so worried about tanking, he should have gone to Pittsburgh :D

552.gif

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watched Frontlines "Who was Oswald" this week (and was just floored by it) and read the article on slate this morning about the "twist party" in Mexico City and it seems the answer to who killed JFK is right there but some people just dont want to buy it because the fascination around the question has created such a cottage industry

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/oswald/

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EPIC...

[YOUTUBE][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g25G1M4EXrQ]We Choose to go to the Moon - YouTube[/ame][/YOUTUBE]