• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - 2016 Brazil Olympic thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An American takes gold in the men's 1500m for the first time since 1908.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The british colour guy on cbc coverage kept talking around what everyone was thinking without saying it

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good run by Canadian Mo Ahmed in the 5000m, the other Mo from GBR is just too good.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the heck, Silver, Bronze and Ahmed DQ'd!

4th and 6th medal lol

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Lochte getting all sniffly on NBC in an interview with Matt Lauer. "This is not who I am."

Yeah, except it kind of is, Ryan. It's who you've been for a long time. You're a douchey guy.

So getting drunk and pissing in an alley. Been there. But then to rip a poster off a wall. That's angry drunk behavior. Which people do when they're 19. People either grow out of that or don't drink as much. And this is in a foreign country where you should always be more careful. And you're representing your country on top of that. So your BEST behavior is what you should be on.

And then... you made up a story about being robbed. That crosses over poor judgment into BAD character. So at that point, this is EXACTLY who you are.

Sniffle all you want. Dennis Green says "you are who we thought you were."

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An American takes gold in the men's 1500m for the first time since 1908.

And he's from Maryland! :)

I'm going to have to buy one of these for 43...

Crab_Cakes_Gold_Medals_white__t-shirt_grande.png

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Lochte getting all sniffly on NBC in an interview with Matt Lauer. "This is not who I am."

Yeah, except it kind of is, Ryan. It's who you've been for a long time. You're a douchey guy.

So getting drunk and pissing in an alley. Been there. But then to rip a poster off a wall. That's angry drunk behavior. Which people do when they're 19. People either grow out of that or don't drink as much. And this is in a foreign country where you should always be more careful. And you're representing your country on top of that. So your BEST behavior is what you should be on.

And then... you made up a story about being robbed. That crosses over poor judgment into BAD character. So at that point, this is EXACTLY who you are.

Sniffle all you want. Dennis Green says "you are who we thought you were."

Exactly. And then multiply the douchiness by getting the he_l out of Rio ASAP and leaving your "friends" there to face the music for YOUR actions. Total dirtbag.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great run Melissa, in my opinion, you won bronze as the 3rd best female in the 800m

Meh, I think everyone is too harsh on Semenya. She probably goes her whole life being mocked and bullied, so athletics is the one place where she can flip the script and just own everyone else. Men who have abnormally high testosterone have an advantage in the men's events, no? So why can't she? Lebron James has a natural advantage over most other athletes on earth, nobody is on his case. It's part of sports.

I know it's not that simple, but I feel bad for her.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, I think everyone is too harsh on Semenya. She probably goes her whole life being mocked and bullied, so athletics is the one place where she can flip the script and just own everyone else. Men who have abnormally high testosterone have an advantage in the men's events, no? So why can't she? Lebron James has a natural advantage over most other athletes on earth, nobody is on his case. It's part of sports.

I know it's not that simple, but I feel bad for her.

You're right Dacks, it's not that simple, but it's gotta be difficult for athletes like Melissa who can train and work as hard as possible and at the end of the day, the deck is heavily stacked against her. That said, this isn't a case of a state sponsored drug program like Russia who were obviously looking to find unethical ways to give their athletes an advantage. The thing I still struggle with is that when Caster was on the medication to reduce the level of testosterone in her body, her times in the 800m were significantly lower, so there is no denying the advantage she has over other competitors. Sounds like the IAAF will be launching an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to overturn the two year exemption given to Castor, so I guess stay tuned to see what happens down the road.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Brazil-Italy volleyball match is REALLY good. Beach volleyball is okay, but the indoor 6-person game is SO much more interesting to me in terms of strategy, rallies, digs, etc.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mongolian coaches are not pleased (lol)

Last edited:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great run Melissa, in my opinion, you won bronze as the 3rd best female in the 800m
I make similar comments about certain people in women's professional tennis.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he's from Maryland! :)

I'm going to have to buy one of these for 43...

Crab_Cakes_Gold_Medals_white__t-shirt_grande.png

Good, I can put it next to my other one that says "Crabcakes and Football* that's what Maryland does"

"*Unless the team moves, then we just sit around and cry a lot until someone else comes by with a football team**, then we do football again"

"**CFL Football doesn't count***"

"***Unless we can name the team after that team that we totally don't care about that left"

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a parade of thousands of athletes... all holding a cell phone. :L

They are aware this is televised like, everywhere, right?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
OK we're done here, right?
See ya in Tokyo!

CqbVRBCUkAAiDsP.jpg

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely beautiful closing ceremony. The colorful plant montage thing right before the extinguishing of the flame and the flame extinguishing itself was SO well done. Getting a little sad it's over. Rio put on an amazing show. Best summer Olympics I've seen in a LONG time.