• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OSU/Michigan Officiating

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is how you guys need to view this game to sleep at night, so be it. There were plenty of missed holding calls against Hubbard and Lewis but they happen. And the Hooker "targeting" one was ridiculous. The Weber play happened while the play was still happening. There was no helmet to helmet or anything, and it's not like that play affected the actual gameplay anyhow.

I'm not complaining about the officiating in the PSU game at all, and this is the first time I've ever even brought it up. I call it a fluke because it was - just look at the stats. However, I've never once blamed the officiating for costing us that game. If you guys choose to go that route, I guess that's your choice. Just don't lose too much sleep.

I didn't mention the targeting because it was ridiculous to even insinuate it. And if there were plenty of missed calls that went against OSU, I'd love to read about them. As it isn't only local papers that called out the officiating -- they had articles about it on pretty much every website.

Personally, I wish this was never posted because I had put this behind me, but this video shows how egregious the officiating was. Not just the calls - but when the calls were made:

3rd down No PI called when OSU literally tackles the WR -- UM has to punt, instead of 1st down in OSU territory

3rd down in OT -- no PI called -- UM has to try for a FG instead of 1st and goal.

3rd and 9 in OT -- blantant holding on Lewis during the run by Samuel, you can see he has ahold of his collar and then finishes it off pushing him in the back. Instead of 3rd and 19 -- it is 4th and 1.

4th down fake punt attempt. Blatant hold on Hubbard. You can even see him grab the back of the helmet. It didn't change the outcome as they stopped it, but it is another crucial down where they blew the call.

Not to mention getting a turnover and instead of a false start and 1st and 15 -- they call offsides which is a 10 yard difference and because of the blown call Harbaugh gets flagged, essentially giving OSU 20 yards instead of going back 5 yards.

If it were ONLY the 4th and 1 call -- UM fans wouldn't have a leg to stand on. It was multiple calls that ended UM drives that weren't made (while they were called against UM -- like the pass 20 feet over the OSU WR head) or calls not made that helped OSU drives.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good God, how much whining will be enough??? cheese and rice.

:noidea::rolleyes2:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mention the targeting because it was ridiculous to even insinuate it. And if there were plenty of missed calls that went against OSU, I'd love to read about them. As it isn't only local papers that called out the officiating -- they had articles about it on pretty much every website.

Personally, I wish this was never posted because I had put this behind me, but this video shows how egregious the officiating was. Not just the calls - but when the calls were made:

3rd down No PI called when OSU literally tackles the WR -- UM has to punt, instead of 1st down in OSU territory

3rd down in OT -- no PI called -- UM has to try for a FG instead of 1st and goal.

3rd and 9 in OT -- blantant holding on Lewis during the run by Samuel, you can see he has ahold of his collar and then finishes it off pushing him in the back. Instead of 3rd and 19 -- it is 4th and 1.

4th down fake punt attempt. Blatant hold on Hubbard. You can even see him grab the back of the helmet. It didn't change the outcome as they stopped it, but it is another crucial down where they blew the call.

Not to mention getting a turnover and instead of a false start and 1st and 15 -- they call offsides which is a 10 yard difference and because of the blown call Harbaugh gets flagged, essentially giving OSU 20 yards instead of going back 5 yards.

If it were ONLY the 4th and 1 call -- UM fans wouldn't have a leg to stand on. It was multiple calls that ended UM drives that weren't made (while they were called against UM -- like the pass 20 feet over the OSU WR head) or calls not made that helped OSU drives.
So the first no PI, did you watch the left hand of the receiver? He initiated contact and maintained that contact throughout the play.
The second PI, the receive was never turned. The rules allow you to have a hand on the receiver if you do not turn them and the DB did not. The ball hit the gun in his hands, he didnt catch it.
The no hold on Lewis. He kept an arm on the defender and the defender did the same until Lewis was run out of the play.
There were other missed calls but these were close and judgement. There was a ref from MI there that made the 4th down spot. He could have made calls if he saw them.

Milkshake

There Will Be Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you would say there were no missed calls on Michigan? And that video is a complete and unbiased representation of the officiating?

The only egregious missed call was the overtime hold/PI. That's it. The others may have been penalties in slo-mo but ones that surely would be counteracted by highlighting similar examples against Mich.

Harbough was flat out wrong about 2/3 calls he was bitching about. That makes him a whiner. To focus on officiating (when wrong!) and not the teams mistakes -- pathetic.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:bullshit: check your eyes....... they aren't working right. that pass was not 20' over his head..... give me a f-ing break.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're entitled to your opinion. Tons of plays like that happen every single game.

On the first punt of the game, Hubbard was held on his arm trying to get around the side to block the punt
On michigan's 3rd drive they got 9 yards on a 1st down play with a huge hold on Lewis coming around the right side that didn't get called
On the play where Butt was supposedly held, Hubbard was pushed in the back to the ground while rushing Speight

I just found these by watching a few minutes of highlights. If I took the time to dissect the whole game, I could do the same thing. This is how it goes. If you guys wanna spend your days bitching and moaning about how you were robbed then that's your call. However, it isn't like you're the first team to catch the raw end of some bad calls.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're entitled to your opinion. Tons of plays like that happen every single game.

On the first punt of the game, Hubbard was held on his arm trying to get around the side to block the punt
On michigan's 3rd drive they got 9 yards on a 1st down play with a huge hold on Lewis coming around the right side that didn't get called
On the play where Butt was supposedly held, Hubbard was pushed in the back to the ground while rushing Speight

I just found these by watching a few minutes of highlights. If I took the time to dissect the whole game, I could do the same thing. This is how it goes. If you guys wanna spend your days bitching and moaning about how you were robbed then that's your call. However, it isn't like you're the first team to catch the raw end of some bad calls.
Quit making stuff up.

:suds:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the first no PI, did you watch the left hand of the receiver? He initiated contact and maintained that contact throughout the play.
The second PI, the receive was never turned. The rules allow you to have a hand on the receiver if you do not turn them and the DB did not. The ball hit the gun in his hands, he didnt catch it.
The no hold on Lewis. He kept an arm on the defender and the defender did the same until Lewis was run out of the play.
There were other missed calls but these were close and judgement. There was a ref from MI there that made the 4th down spot. He could have made calls if he saw them.

Ellupo. You know I'm one UM fan who will shoot you straight. I will say BS, as I did on the ridiculous 'targeting' mentioned. That being said:

The first PI -- both players are allowed to put hands on each other. Grabbing and tackling a guy is as blatant as you can get.

The second PI -- take your pick. They either blew the call that extended an OSU drive when UM was flagged for PI or they blew the OT call. Both CB's used the exact same technique. UM was flagged for PI (and on top of that -- it wasn't even remotely catchable) and OSU was not. UM's penalty extended the OSU drive, the non-call ended UM's drive. If you'd like -- they have a side by side pick of both online I will post later.

The no call on Lewis -- anyone who has played organized football knows, when blocking as long as you don't get your hands outside the shoulder pads, you are usually good, UNLESS you grab a player by the collar. Watch the play again and watch where the OSU players hand is.

And the Michigan official was a line judge. He wasn't making calls on the field -- he and the head linesman are responsible to flag illegal formation, too many men on the field, encroachment and false starts.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The losers post videos. The winners don't waste their time creating cut ups of Sam Hubbard and Tyquan Lewis being tackled from behind by linemen while trying to sack the quarterback.

Except tOSU fans have been obsessing over the 4th down stop video all week.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellupo. You know I'm one UM fan who will shoot you straight. I will say BS, as I did on the ridiculous 'targeting' mentioned. That being said:

The first PI -- both players are allowed to put hands on each other. Grabbing and tackling a guy is as blatant as you can get.

The second PI -- take your pick. They either blew the call that extended an OSU drive when UM was flagged for PI or they blew the OT call. Both CB's used the exact same technique. UM was flagged for PI (and on top of that -- it wasn't even remotely catchable) and OSU was not. UM's penalty extended the OSU drive, the non-call ended UM's drive. If you'd like -- they have a side by side pick of both online I will post later.

The no call on Lewis -- anyone who has played organized football knows, when blocking as long as you don't get your hands outside the shoulder pads, you are usually good, UNLESS you grab a player by the collar. Watch the play again and watch where the OSU players hand is.

And the Michigan official was a line judge. He wasn't making calls on the field -- he and the head linesman are responsible to flag illegal formation, too many men on the field, encroachment and false starts.
In the first one did you see who the receiver tripped over? It was the MI player that he was trying to set a pick for but it didnt work. He was blocked into his own guy.
The second, I would have to see the PI you are referring to on MI to compare. Is that in the video?
The Lewis, one he did have a collar and it was released pretty quickly. No chance in your eyes the refs didnt see the collar being pulled?

Milkshake

There Will Be Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
99.9% Maize. If he wasn't such a bitch - the game thread would have died or would be dozens of pages lighter... It was like arguing with a holocaust denier.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong it was the mgoblog that did the indepth analysis on that. Check out the obsession.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Post it and show everyone. You know I'd have no issue saying OSU got screwed on the plays if it happened. And I'd guess if there were egregious calls missed against OSU, you'd see articles written about to throw it in the face of everyone who has said otherwise.

And if you haven't noticed -- this is the first time you said they were bad calls. Only one OSU fan on here has admitted UM was jobbed on multiple calls. The rest continue to say it was the right call even with video evidence to look at. You just said the Center, which anyone who played football knows, every defensive lineman is watching moved but it was neglible. Once set, they can flinch even the slightest.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that is probably true, but only in response to the anguished cries of the pseudo-aggrieved.

Milkshake

There Will Be Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post it and show everyone. You know I'd have no issue saying OSU got screwed on the plays if it happened. And I'd guess if there were egregious calls missed against OSU, you'd see articles written about to throw it in the face of everyone who has said otherwise.

And if you haven't noticed -- this is the first time you said they were bad calls. Only one OSU fan on here has admitted UM was jobbed on multiple calls. The rest continue to say it was the right call even with video evidence to look at. You just said the Center, which anyone who played football knows, every defensive lineman is watching moved but it was neglible. Once set, they can flinch even the slightest.

At what point do you man up and put the blame on the team and coaches? You honestly believe that Michigan only lost because of some grander officiating conspiracy? At least @Lions=TeHsUcKs has enough pride to place the blame where it's truly deserved.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think that was a false start. I can't even tell if he moved or if the camera moved. The ones in OT could've been called either way. I've seen many times (especially the PI) where those sort of plays don't get called. The Lattimore play early in the game? Yes, that was egregious.

If you haven't noticed, I really don't care if they were bad calls. That shit happens literally every game. As I've shown, we got jobbed against PSU but shit happens. Hell the fact that we didn't have instant replay in 2003 nearly cost us our national championship that year because of two egregious non-calls at the end of regulation. Like I said, you guys are far from the first team to have some calls go against you. However, you had plenty of shots to win this game and you didn't.

I truly hope we get a rematch in the playoffs, as it's clear these are two of the 4 best teams in the nation.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not even getting into the rest of your diatribe it was 100% offsides. You can't jump into the neutral zone to draw a false start

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On the first punt of the game, Hubbard was held on his arm trying to get around the right side to block the punt

If almost every sports media outlet had not said the officiating in the game was egregious, no one (well, except for one person, maybe) would still be complaining about it. You also know it was especially bad as well but keep trying to pretend it wasn't. You are as bad as MnB. Everybody needs to stop talking about it. Ohio State won the game. Period. It was a tough, close game that Ohio State can thank its lucky stars for winning.

Harbaugh's rant (for which he was rightly fined) was as much about lobbying for a spot in the playoffs (however slim the possibility is) as it was about the decidedly poor officiating. I would argue that it worked because any misstep by Washington or Clemson probably means Michigan is "in." By putting Michigan in the #5 spot, the Committtee is acknowledging that the Wolverines are worthy of a spot because of their great play during the season and the closeness of the game with Ohio State. In fact, Kirby Hocutt has already acknowledged publicly that the Committee argued extensively whether Michigan or Washington should be in.

Now, it's well known that most Ohio State fanboys dislike Jim Harbaugh and his quirky antics and pretty much refuse to acknowledge that he's quite a good coach (certainly right behind Saban and Meyer). But, I think they actually fear the day when he gets all of the right pieces in place and begins to beat Ohio State regularly (he almost pulled it off this year--some say he should have). I can tell you with certainty that he won't be going to the NFL or anywhere else until that happens. So, let's put that argument to rest along with the ones where Ohio State fanboys compare him to Brady Hoke. Puh-lease, Jim Harbaugh is head and shoulders above Brady Hoke's ability to develop players and coach them.

Everybody needs to get a grip.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once a center is set to snap -- there is no such thing as neglible movement. All eyes are on the center and you can see him flinch. I hadn't watched a replay, but had heard on ESPN radio, that is why Harbaugh went crazy on the sideline. That missed call not only cost UM 5 yards, but a personal foul which never should have happened if they got the call right)

This is actually the first replay of any kind I've watched on the game (other than the 100's of Barrett photoshops saying 1st down or he was short) people have posted on here. After seeing this -- I completely understand why the B1G isn't responding to requests regarding the officiating though.

I honestly don't know how you could call any ticky-tack, with possibly the exception of the guy who covered Butt, as he hid the collar grab pretty well and the refs don't have replay to see that stuff. The others are no doubters though -- with the most egregious being the hit by Weber on a guy watching a player tackled on the ground and the ref staring at him, and he hits a defenseless player.

If it were one call or even two they missed. I'd tell UM fans myself, to quit bitching. As an OSU fan, you know how important The Game is -- and this year, with national title implications attached to it, you know it isn't going to end. And if OSU were on the other end -- I'd expect the same from them.

And stop with the not complaining about the PSU game. You still keep calling it a fluke win.

Michigan-Fan-Reacts-to-Botch-Punt-vs-Michigan-State-2015.gif

CRjpqJNUkAAHZUg.jpg