• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

opening day and series vs the rays

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets go o's

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good luck to all of our AL east competition.

its gonna be a funky year.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good luck to all of our AL east competition.

its gonna be a funky year.

1st month is going to be huge . we have only have 3 non east games . yanks have 7 but 4 are with the tiggers .

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flaherty is a bum. Why is he starting over Cabrera?

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey it worked . man pearce was out by a mile if caleb was the catcher .snider what a first game

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O's win and gNats lose! Great start to the season!

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Showalter was playing a hunch. Flaherty was 4-9 against Archer prior to today's game. Cabrera has also been weaker hitting against RHP in his career and only batted .226 .266. 285 off of them last season while Flaherty batted .230 .300 .349. Flaherty was also coming off of a pretty decent post season.

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st month is going to be huge . we have only have 3 non east games . yanks have 7 but 4 are with the tiggers .

It is hard to see the Orioles without Markakis in RF, but if I can get used to not seeing Cal Ripken's name in the lineup I guess I can get used to anything. Jeter also not at SS for the Yankees...it will be an interesting season. We've waited a long time for the Orioles to become relevant again and for the mighty "Evil Empire" to finally reap what they've sowed by buying all of the top tier talent around the league and get stuck with bloated contracts to late 30's and early 40 year old players.

I just hope Showalter's past does not repeat itself. He takes teams that are dreadful and makes them contenders, then the year after he's fired that team that he essentially built goes on to win the world series. I want him to win at least one, and to win it here in Baltimore!

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the o's are built for a long term run . i would love for them to sign tillman . i would let matt walk . caleb and sisco can do the job next year . if davis has turned into an adam dunn let him walk also .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
baseball is a funny game dearza reaches on an e and k's 3 x and he is a hero because of the great 10 pitch at bat hr . so he is a keeper lmao . i thought back to who was it sam horn with 2 or 3 homers on opening day . i do think dearza on the team is ok . i hate lough he hasn't proved shit to me other than a scrub . young is a good pinch hitter .

btw matusz is being talked about with the rangers . roch also says wright can be had for the right deal . the hard thing is there is no room for lough on the team as is and parantes should be back soon and ryan may have to go for him to stay with the team . plus when jj comes back who goes then ? it is a mess which i don't think anyone would want lough . we needs some trades .

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the o's are built for a long term run . i would love for them to sign tillman . i would let matt walk . caleb and sisco can do the job next year . if davis has turned into an adam dunn let him walk also .

This recent arm injury of his may actually facilitate a move to 1B which is what many were thinking when he was coming up to be drafted. That his large 6'5'' 220-230lbs frame might need to move to 1B in order to save his knees. His bat hasn't exploded like expected as he was supposed to be the second coming of Mike Piazza at the plate and be the next Pudge Rodriguez behind the dish. Perhaps a full time move to 1B would allow him to be a bit more rested and be able to hit better. He's shown sparks of being that high average and power hitting batter he was thought to be, but he also goes through prolonged slumps at times. Chris Davis is in a make or break year and who knows what we really have with Steve Pearce. Pearce plays great in a part-time role, but will he get exposed playing full time? We'll find out this year because I think he's going to find a lot more time at DH/1B/RF/LF this season as Buck plays with the lineup to get the hottest bats and best matchups he can. Hopefully Wieters is okay and we'll get a good look at him this season before the Orioles have to make a difficult decision to lock him up long term or not. It would be a shame to let him walk, but who knows how this arm injury will affect him going forward.

I agree, the Orioles seem to have a few more options behind the plate than they do at 1B. They seem to be high on Christian Walker and like Mike Almanzar I think it is; they rule five guy from last season. Walker didn't show a whole lot in his cup of coffee, but that is all it was so can't read too much into it.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This recent arm injury of his may actually facilitate a move to 1B which is what many were thinking when he was coming up to be drafted. That his large 6'5'' 220-230lbs frame might need to move to 1B in order to save his knees. His bat hasn't exploded like expected as he was supposed to be the second coming of Mike Piazza at the plate and be the next Pudge Rodriguez behind the dish. Perhaps a full time move to 1B would allow him to be a bit more rested and be able to hit better. He's shown sparks of being that high average and power hitting batter he was thought to be, but he also goes through prolonged slumps at times. Chris Davis is in a make or break year and who knows what we really have with Steve Pearce. Pearce plays great in a part-time role, but will he get exposed playing full time? We'll find out this year because I think he's going to find a lot more time at DH/1B/RF/LF this season as Buck plays with the lineup to get the hottest bats and best matchups he can. Hopefully Wieters is okay and we'll get a good look at him this season before the Orioles have to make a difficult decision to lock him up long term or not. It would be a shame to let him walk, but who knows how this arm injury will affect him going forward.

I agree, the Orioles seem to have a few more options behind the plate than they do at 1B. They seem to be high on Christian Walker and like Mike Almanzar I think it is; they rule five guy from last season. Walker didn't show a whole lot in his cup of coffee, but that is all it was so can't read too much into it.

walker is like caleb never played as many innings in his life at the end of the year . walker it is his glove they worry about . on pearce his wrist will not hold up as a full time player . that cabraer kid should take the place of ryan . davis i love him to go back to 13 season but it is going to be more like 14 . matt will want a huge contract along with davis so they need to go . the o's will have alvarez and uuuuu in their line up when dearza and snider start costing alot of money .

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
baseball is a funny game dearza reaches on an e and k's 3 x and he is a hero because of the great 10 pitch at bat hr . so he is a keeper lmao . i thought back to who was it sam horn with 2 or 3 homers on opening day . i do think dearza on the team is ok . i hate lough he hasn't proved shit to me other than a scrub . young is a good pinch hitter .

btw matusz is being talked about with the rangers . roch also says wright can be had for the right deal . the hard thing is there is no room for lough on the team as is and parantes should be back soon and ryan may have to go for him to stay with the team . plus when jj comes back who goes then ? it is a mess which i don't think anyone would want lough . we needs some trades .

First, it was indeed Sam Horn on opening day in 1990 against the Royals with two homeruns. One came against Bret Saberhagen and the other came off of Steve Farr. In fact, Horn went 4-6 and drove in all six of Baltimore's earned runs and the game went 11 innings and was won on a Cal Ripken single and error from the outfielder that allowed Joe Orsulak to score. It was Horn's only multi-homer game with the Orioles. Here's a blast from the past, here was the starting lineup for that game:

LF: Phil Bradley; the man who infamously lost a ball in the fog for a game-winning inside the park HR.
RF: Joe Orsulak; AKA: "slak"
SS: Cal Ripken
C: Mickey Tettleton: "Fruit Loops Kid"
1B: Randy Milligan: "Moose"
DH: Sam Horn
3B: Craig Worthington
CF: Mike Devereaux: "Devo"
2B: Billy Ripken
SP: Bob Milacki

Jay Aldrich (who?) got the win after Joe "the" Price "is right" blew the save and Gregg "the Otter" Olson picked up the save. Also appearing in that game were Brady Anderson as a pinchrunner who got thrown out at 3B trying to steal in the inning in which the unearned run scored to win the game, pitcher Brian Bolton.

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The first one to go once Wieters returns is Steve Clevenger. The O's don't really need him with all of the other options they have in house so there is your one for one swap. I think once JJ comes back it will be Flaherty who goes to make room. You don't really need him unless something happens to Machado. Unless Cabrera totally flops and Flaherty lights it up, Cabrera is your utility infielder who also gives Showalter the speed option that we don't really have on this team. Lough is your typical 4th outfielder and somebody you need to have on your roster as unfortunate as that may be. He's speedy, he can play all outfield positions in a pinch, and you might get a little something from his bat from time to time. Of course you could always move De Aza around in the OF and take your chances playing Pearce and Young in the OF if you want. But I think the starting OF is pretty much De Aza, Jones, and Snider. I don't see a slot for Paredes on the team right now.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
davis get rid of cleve today . thing about cab is he can also back up cf . so lough can go it's not like it takes along time to get a player from norfolk or bowie anyway . i bet the o's want to get rid of a pitcher and be 13 - 12 with all these open dates early .

TheWHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree ted, it is pretty unusual to have 14 pitchers on the 25 man roster and Showalter has been pretty creative with how he's managed the roster to shuttle pitchers between AAA and MLB so that they go on regular days and keep active work and getting them to rotate in when needed. Waiting 10 days between a minor league and major league move allows a pitcher to get in two starts in the minors if they time it all right, then you call the guy up right around on just about when he would make his third start. I am sure the Orioles are expecting a trade or two.

But if the O's want to keep Paredes on the roster, he would replace Flaherty in a heartbeat. Paredes so far has been a more consistent hitter and also plays 1b/3b and with Cabrera on the roster he covers 2B/SS. Lavarnway is down as soon as Wieters comes back. I'm not so sure you really need Lough with the roster the way it is, but him being on the DL helps out right now just in case somebody else goes down with an injury. If the O's lose him, there's nothing really lost there. You can find a guy who can play some defense and run around a bit and be a slap hitter just about anywhere.

But since we're talking about the Rays here, anybody remember this guy? He was going to be one of the Rays first big stars and then his career got derailed by an injury and then finding out he has a muscular fatigue situation.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great to see britton get his first save . aj and snider almost hit wasn't good to see . time for a sweep by gonzo

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah: Miguel needs an out pitch. Way too many foul balls on full counts. If he continues pitching like this, he'll be lucky to get out of the 4th inning.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You suck Matusz. You are brought on with 2 on and 2 out. Your job is to not walk the next 2 batters and force in a run.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You suck Matusz. You are brought on with 2 on and 2 out. Your job is to not walk the next 2 batters and force in a run.

Should have traded him for Verrett during Spring Training?

(That being said... you have a 100% chance of losing when scoring zero runs. I think we're complaining partly because the 1-run deficit actually matters here...)