• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One thing Holgorsen and I have in common

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have some mixed feelings about Mickey. Growing up in Morgantown, he was my connection to WVU sports as a kid. I loved reading his columns. He was always so supportive of the coaching staff and team.

Some don't know when to stop.

I wish he had gone quietly into retirement, but he hasn't. Things change... but, he has not been onboard. There was a day when the media had total access to the coaches and team practices. Those days are gone... not just at WVU... but across the college football landscape.

Mickey has not adjusted to the change... resents it actually...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mickey may be staying past his prime, and has trouble getting the questions out, BUT he is the dean of WVU sports reporters. He is supportive of the Mountaineer and what being on a WVU team means. He has always asked tough questions of coaches, He asked Nehlen hard questions during his losing years, as he did every coach. He asked Fraud about Henry when there was trouble there. When a coach says these two are the best QBs on the team and it is between them who the starter is going to be, then starts the third guy in the third game of the season, while one of the two who was vying for the top spot has received 6 snaps, is it not a fair question, deserving a fair answer to ask why?????

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He asked the question and DH answered it...whats the problem?

I just think he sucks as a reporter and most of his reporting now are just opinion pieces without actually providing anything to back up his opinion. This is not the first coach-reporter soured relationship in the world that is for sure.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not true that Mickey always asked tough questions. He rarely... if ever... wrote a negatively slanted article about a coach or team.

His replacement... Bob Hertzel... would do so. Then was given walking papers...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He asked the question and DH answered it...whats the problem?

I just think he sucks as a reporter and most of his reporting now are just opinion pieces without actually providing anything to back up his opinion. This is not the first coach-reporter soured relationship in the world that is for sure.

My answer to that.....don't read his pieces. There are reporters I do not like, and I do not read them. What do you want a reporter to ask after a blow out loss, with QB issues? Should a good reporter ask about the type of socks the team wore, or ask about why a kid who was supposed to make an impact is not on the field?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My answer to that.....don't read his pieces. There are reporters I do not like, and I do not read them. What do you want a reporter to ask after a blow out loss, with QB issues? Should a good reporter ask about the type of socks the team wore, or ask about why a kid who was supposed to make an impact is not on the field?

Well actually I did stop reading them and as I stated when I did read them there was no back and forth questions being asked it was just him giving his prehistoric view of what WVU once was...

He asked the question and DH answered, what is the problem again?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped reading them too.

Mickey has an agenda. One I do not share.

I quit reading his column when he tried to attack the legislative work to help build the baseball stadium.

At that point it was clear... he hated anything Luck was trying to do. How could you not support that project? He defended his stance with a historical look at attendance of WVU baseball at Hawley Field... which is nothing more than an average high school facility.

When WVU was looking at replacement of Mountaineer Field... many questioned the need to do so. They cited the fact WVU could not fill the stadium which had a capacity of 35,000... so, why build a 50,000 seat stadium?

He has lost all credibility...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped reading them too.

Mickey has an agenda. One I do not share.

I quit reading his column when he tried to attack the legislative work to help build the baseball stadium.

At that point it was clear... he hated anything Luck was trying to do. How could you not support that project? He defended his stance with a historical look at attendance of WVU baseball at Hawley Field... which is nothing more than an average high school facility.

When WVU was looking at replacement of Mountaineer Field... many questioned the need to do so. They cited the fact WVU could not fill the stadium which had a capacity of 35,000... so, why build a 50,000 seat stadium?

He has lost all credibility...

My thoughts exactly bb, he had his days in the past but he has taken the path of trashing WVU every chance he gets to raise the hairs of our crazy fanbase to get readers in his dying industry. People now see through that and resent him for it. I think DH's reaction to him was different than the other questions and for good reason. The guy is past over, he is not just a hack but now he is just in the way.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some old dogs go quietly, and some don't. Mickey too was my link growing up, to all Mountaineers sports. He is a Robert Byrd clone, doesn't know how to let go, now, or of the past. It's actually sad that he cannot, and will not, adapt to the new future of Mountaineer sports. I just choose not to belittle him, for there is coming a day when his chair will be empty, his writing will cease and those of us old guys, will mourn his loss. I wish he would just stop, being a cancer to the cause serves no grand purpose. Being truthful to something more than opinion, is what is really important.

I have observed that there are those here who support the current program, and respectfully point out problems without being caustic. There are those who don't support the current program who are out to fight with their last breath, the folly. There are those who sit somewhere in the middle of those two ideologies. It seems to me to be no different than the current state of our national government.

Mountaineers are a special breed in my opinion. Whether by birth, or attending WVU, we all come to feel something different about this place. We all like winning, we all want better. This time and place in football is hard to accept, but I do hope for better things, even with my personal belief that the HC is not the exact right man for the course that lays ahead, I do attempt to point out the good, and bad, not castigate him for what some other coach, or other time, did or didn't do.

The road ahead is looking mighty tough, and realistically, there could be a few more Maryland type problems in the not to distant future. I hope for better things, for all of us and that this team finds the foundation to be more. I will cheer and complain with grounded belief that we can do the impossible, we can defeat teams seemingly stronger than us and that no matter the final result, we gave our all.

I'm tired of the belabored discussions about DN, or RR, or BS, or any coach who hasn't stepped on the field of play as head coach for WVU in years. They each come from a very different time, put VERY different types of players on that field, and have absolutely nothing to do with THIS team. You can't compare stats, you can't even compare conferences, because we have NEVER played in any conference halfway close to that of the Big 12, and honestly guys, could any of those successful teams of the past done even half as well if they had been in the Big 12? I don't think so. The wins we had against the Big 12, before we joined it, was because those coach's took us for granted and we beat their butts, now that we are a part of the conference, we are reviewed daily, scouted for every play, offensively and defensively, that changes the perspective of a game here and there, or even a bowl game. We can do better than the current situation, and I think that looking at other schools with player rosters comparable to WVU, and they are succeeding. So somewhere deep down in our core group of talented athletes, is a team. Having the correct teacher, will find it and prod them to use every drop of their talent, in every game and leave it ALL on the field. We will get there.