• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One Question To All

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been able to find out.

Does the PGA,USGA,R&A........any golf sanctioning body

Do they test the actual tour player golf clubs?...........the ones they use........

the ones that are actually in their bags?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question.

Having been to a few tournaments...I would say if they did, it would have to be random. I know there was not a mass testing situation at any of the events I've been to.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

Aside from the C.O.R. most disqualifying features of a club are visible. To have a conforming make and model with an illegal cor, you'd need some club maker shenanigans.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is voluntary if anything. I would suspect in the near future the league would institute something. It is a little shocking with all the player testing they do they don't test the actual clubs. I guess it's on the "honor system" since players on tour get their clubs directly from the manufacturers so the PGA etc see's the name of the club and "assumes" it's legit

Wonder now with the outlaw on long putters will other clubs be tested.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is voluntary if anything. I would suspect in the near future the league would institute something. It is a little shocking with all the player testing they do they don't test the actual clubs. I guess it's on the "honor system" since players on tour get their clubs directly from the manufacturers so the PGA etc see's the name of the club and "assumes" it's legit

Wonder now with the outlaw on long putters will other clubs be tested.

In a sport where you're supposed to call infractions on yourself...I think the honor part is taken pretty serious. Getting caught with an illegal club would be pretty embarrassing to the player and the manufacturer...probably not worth any advantage you could gain with a club.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, besides C.O.R. what's not observable?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a sport where you're supposed to call infractions on yourself...I think the honor part is taken pretty serious. Getting caught with an illegal club would be pretty embarrassing to the player and the manufacturer...probably not worth any advantage you could gain with a club.

excellent point. Didn't think of it like that

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They ought to have mandatory testing of any club that is used on the tour.........This ain't no amateur sport,
The tours instituted a rule about the long (connected to the body) putters....which I agree with

With some guys hitting drives close to 400 yards at times.......it makes me wonder..
Jack Nicklaus blames the balls.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They ought to have mandatory testing of any club that is used on the tour.........This ain't no amateur sport,
The tours instituted a rule about the long (connected to the body) putters....which I agree with

With some guys hitting drives close to 400 yards at times.......it makes me wonder..
Jack Nicklaus blames the balls.

NEhomer touched on it..the clubs do have to pass the USGA/R&A COR limit test before they are sold...idk if you remember the Callaway driver that exceeded COR, but they decided to manufacture it anyway. Arnie endorsed it for amateur play only and he took some flak for it...the point is the COR testing is how they discovered this head was not compliant.

If somebody gained some ridiculous amount of yardage...I trust his club would he tested.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that it is basically about COR........I know by me playing softball, that high tech composite bats sometimes come out of legal with a certain number of swings. The more a bat is used the "hotter" it gets.
And those certain bats are banned by ASA or USSSA....I am not suggesting that it is possible with drivers, but I've often wondered.........And I'm not accusing anyone of cheating, but it has happened in other sports to get an "edge".

corked bats
HGH
PEDs
deflated footballs
illegal equipment....

The longest driving average on the PGA tour....I think is 318...and that is NOT terribly out of line with the rest of the tour....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that the PGAT knows everyone's average distance...if you average 285 one week and next week you're averaging 310...I think you can expect a call from the tour wanting to test your driver.

Because the term if you aint cheating, you're not trying doesn't really apply to golf...the stigma of getting caught is pretty severe...VJ was able to live down an allegation of cheating years ago, but I'm sure that's one phase of his career he wished had never happened.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this note I heard an interesting rule. Rory used his driver and then used that tool you get with an adjustable driver.

I think people started calling in ..So the rule is you can only tighten the driver, your can't make any changes to the position and or settings of the driver.

I had no clue about that rule.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been able to find out.

Does the PGA,USGA,R&A........any golf sanctioning body

Do they test the actual tour player golf clubs?...........the ones they use........

the ones that are actually in their bags?

I believe they have the ability to check specs on clubs, but only really do so if something is reported or someone's equipment is in question.

I would not doubt if the PGA tests some of the rookies or new PGA tour members shit randomly.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this note I heard an interesting rule. Rory used his driver and then used that tool you get with an adjustable driver.

I think people started calling in ..So the rule is you can only tighten the driver, your can't make any changes to the position and or settings of the driver.

I had no clue about that rule.

I learned that when I bought my new driver that has the adjustment capabilities...can't make any adjustments once the round starts.