• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Olli Maatta

Toddyd77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does everyone feel with him sticking around for at least 40 games this season?
It does seem to probably put us in a little bit of a cap issue once Neal and Vokoun return.

I'm not really for it. We have only seen a 9 game sample of Maatta and he has been kind of sheltered in those 9 games. He has been out in favorable matchups and starts a lot of shifts in the offensive zone. I'm not saying he hasn't made some good plays, he has but the risk reward of making a call on a 19yr old defenseman seems a little rushed. Epsecially because a yr on his entry level contract gets burned and if he does begin to struggle and gets sent back to juniors that year gets burned for nothing

With LEtang's return his minutes will only go down, while in juniors he would be a 20min plus a nite guy.
He will now be a 6/7 dman competing with Bortuzzo and engelland for games playing alongside niskanen. Unless Engelland moves more to a 4th line winger. I would rather Maatta be a #1 and be on the ice every game than play14-16min a nite and spend some nights in the press box.

I also wonders what this says about our def depth in Wilkes Barre. Players like Despres, Dumolin, Harrington were all touted to be nhl rdy and wouldn't be hurt as much in developement being a 6/7th dman.
Does this make Despres an obvious trade candidate or the fact he is on a 2way deal make it a buisness/cap move to leave him down while Maatta gets showcased?

The last thing I will mention is this does actually kind of hurt the pens defense size/physicality wise. Maatta isn't known as a hard hitting dman. He is only 6 foot 1. One of the percieved problems with the Pens defense has been a lack of size and hitting and ability to clear the front of the net. Orpik will be the only dman in the lineup on a regular basis that you could say would make forwards think twice about going into the corners or parking in front of the net.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maatta has gotten better every game, I'm all for keeping him in the lineup.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that I think he probably should have gone back down to juniors - he has played solid but he hasn't been put in every situation, like a Seth Jones or a Sean Monahan has

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably no need for Maatta once Tang gets back anyways.

D1: Letang - Scuderi
D2: Martin - Orpik
D3: Niskanen - Bortuzzo

At least Bortuzzo gets a chance to shine.

Toddyd77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was what i was pointing out Doobee. Letang is gonna be back in lineup friday and that is Maatta's 10th game. Why keep him when he is not gonna get the minutes he would need to develope as a 6th/7th dman.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was what i was pointing out Doobee. Letang is gonna be back in lineup friday and that is Maatta's 10th game. Why keep him when he is not gonna get the minutes he would need to develope as a 6th/7th dman.

Yup yup, no place for Maatta anymore. At least he got to show us what he's capable of. Really looking forward to seeing what Maatta develops into.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I am surprised they kept him. Him sitting in the press box won't help him in any way but that would mean Bortuzzo doesn't play. Then when Neal returns Niskanen has to be moved for cap reasons so Shero might not get the return he wants for it. Wonder if he is trying the sell high approach with how well Niskanen is playing right now?

Also there is no guarantee everyone still stay healthy so the cap might not be an issue when the time comes.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Send him down...no need for him...until Letang (French for made of glass) gets injured again.

not impressed with the supposed new focus on D that the Pens have been showing/not showing. Niskanen blows, Martin looks slow and old, Scuds is meh, and Oprik is solid...And why is Engeland a winger at times???

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Send him down...no need for him...until Letang (French for made of glass) gets injured again.

not impressed with the supposed new focus on D that the Pens have been showing/not showing. Niskanen blows, Martin looks slow and old, Scuds is meh, and Oprik is solid...And why is Engeland a winger at times???

Because he sucks at playing defense? Honestly he really has no value if the top 7 stay healthy.

As for Niskanen they really need to sell high on him before some GM's realize it is Matt Niskanen.

With Maata he can't go the AHL so if he goes back to juniors after game 9 his service time starts so he will have one less year on his entry level deal. So I have a feeling he will be in the NHL all season.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get it, as someone else said, there are plenty of guys who could be playing who are young and have upside. Maata is probably the best of the group, but again bad roster management.

He wasn't that spectacular, and the team has many more other internal options, I don't get it at all.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also don't get the gushing reports of his play by the Pittsburgh media, just don't see it.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get it, as someone else said, there are plenty of guys who could be playing who are young and have upside. Maata is probably the best of the group, but again bad roster management.

He wasn't that spectacular, and the team has many more other internal options, I don't get it at all.

He was pretty good for a 19 year old dman IMO. Also his progression from game to game was also a steady improvement.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's currently 3rd among Pens dmen in scoring. I think he showed that he belonged regardless of age.

So? He's not lighting it up, he only has 3 points, and is 1pt ahead of Orpik. He's also -1, second to last among d-men on the team.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? He's not lighting it up, he only has 3 points, and is 1pt ahead of Orpik. He's also -1, second to last among d-men on the team.

Doesn't matter, he 's staying. No need to discuss this anymore.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad they are pushing for young talent finally on this roster like Maata, Bennett and now Megna getting time. But I think with Maata like per the one link I posted earlier he is in a weird spot. At his age he can't go to the AHL (due to the CHL agreement) but if going to the CHL will he develop anymore will he be too advanced for that level? If he is too advanced, and can't go to the AHL then the only place to develop is in the NHL. Lets hope it doesn't hurt his development.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, I don't need my D to "light it up." Play solid D and the Pens will be great, try and light it up and you will get steamrolled by the B's. Pens have enuff Offensive (in more ways than one) defensemen...

Olloi has looked very good when he has played...same can't be said for Letang