• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Thread

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1:59 pm: Sandy Alderson seemed genuinely surprised when told that his Wilpon indicated the Mets were close on something, he then made a strange face and walked away (Puma).
1:57 pm: Alderson insists nothing is imminent, nothing is close, “no, no, no,” he said ([ame="[MEDIA=twitter]400698612482850816[/MEDIA]"]Rubin[/ame]).
Can't stand this team

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets met face to face with Peralta today!

8:28 pm: SS Jhonny Peralta is looking for “far more” than a three-year, $45 million contract, according to his agent (Olney).

6:24 pm: The Mets and Peralta had a meeting during the GM Meetings in Orlando this week (Heyman).

Peralta is seeking a three- or four-year deal in free agency (Cerrone).

The Yankees are showing interest in Peralta, as well (Madden).

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets have talked to O’s about Nick Markakis

The Mets talked with the Orioles this week about OF Nick Markakis, though nothing developed (Francesa).
The Orioles will listen to offers for Markakis, but are not eager to trade him at this time, according to people aware of Baltimore’s off-season approach (Cerrone).
In 160 games for the O’s in 2013, Markakis hit .271 with a .329 OBP, 10 HR and 49 RBI.
He will earn $15 million in 2014, after which he has a $17.5 million option for 2015 with a $2 million buyout.

Metsblog | Latest News, Rumors and Opinion about the Mets

The latest Daniel Murphy trade rumors

The Mets are listening to offers for Daniel Murphy, according to multiple reports, though nothing indicates they are committed to trading him.

10:20 am: “Don’t be surprised if the Mets also trade second baseman Murphy,” who is drawing interest from teams that see him at second, third or as a super-utility type (Rosenthal).
Nov. 14: The Mets have had preliminary talks with other teams about Murphy (Rubin).
Nov. 14: The Mets have known for a while that teams have interest in Murphy and they’ll gladly listen to offers that can bring in more power, according to people familiar with the team’s thinking (Cerrone).

www.metsblog.com

I've always liked Markakis, wonder what teams they are talking to about Murphy?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top priority is lineup protection for David Wright

Terry Collins would like the Mets to add a reliable hitter to bat behind David Wright, and a pitcher to replace Matt Harvey would be nice too, he said at a charity event in Manhattan Thursday night.
“No. 1, we’ve got to find a bat in the middle of the lineup that produces runs,” Collins said, according to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York. “We’ve got to make sure we have a guy who we know is going to produce. We’ve got to protect David. I know that’s probably our No. 1 priority right now.”

Which is how it should be, Wright needs some protection in that lineup. Guys like Cespedes, Bautista, Kemp, Granderson and Cruz can provide that.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets are reportedly listening to trade offers for 1B Ike Davis. Here is the latest:

Nov. 17, 3:15 pm: The Rays could be a “buy low” fit for Davis, and they could consider moving OF Matt Joyce to get him, who will have a similar salary to Davis in 2014 (Topkin).

I would definitely take Joyce for Ike and throw him in RF next year.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would definitely take Joyce for Ike and throw him in RF next year.

Interesting. I'd prefer to get some type of pitching, relief or starter for Ike, but I Joyce wouldn't be a bad move. Again, just about anything is an upgrade over what we were fielding last year.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I'd prefer to get some type of pitching, relief or starter for Ike, but I Joyce wouldn't be a bad move. Again, just about anything is an upgrade over what we were fielding last year.

I don't mind Joyce but would much rather see if we can swap him straight up for Aoki or package him with somebody for Fowler, but I hope we move Duda as well, he's useless.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind Joyce but would much rather see if we can swap him straight up for Aoki or package him with somebody for Fowler, but I hope we move Duda as well, he's useless.

I know they were leaning toward keeping Duda but I would actually love it if they moved both Duda and Ike and Murphy got shifted over to first, Flores becomes the regular at 2nd. Although from the reports Murphy is on the block.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they were leaning toward keeping Duda but I would actually love it if they moved both Duda and Ike and Murphy got shifted over to first, Flores becomes the regular at 2nd. Although from the reports Murphy is on the block.

That is perfectly fine with me, move all 3 of them honestly. Maybe package Murph with Montero for a power OF bat like Joey Bats or Cespedes.

Hawkins signed with the Rockies for 1 year 2.5M and will be their closer. Which means Black will prolly be our setup man and most likely closer if Parnell isn't ready to start the season or is traded. I like Vic Black honestly.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets met with Jay Z about Robinson Cano

Jeff Wilpon and Sandy Alderson met with Jay Z at a Manhattan hotel to discuss free-agent 2B Robinson Cano on Monday night, according to two sources familiar with the situation (Davidoff).

My guess this is just a ploy to scare the Yankees into them bidding higher for Cano, but i'm not against Cano coming here at all.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this sounds crazy, but I see Cano as Reyes 2.0. He plays hard when he feels like playing hard. I know a lot of Yankee fans that wouldn't mind seeing him walk, they're kind of fed up with him. I'd learn to like the signing but I there are some red flags there.

I'd pass on JJ. I feel like he's always hurt. If we're gambling on injured pitchers the guy that Tampa Bay just released wouldn't be a bad, cheap option for a vet starter:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/18/rays-outright-jeff-niemann-off-40-man-roster/related/

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take JJ but looks like he is down to the Giants and Padres and I can't see the Mets dishing out 10M+ for a guy coming off an injury. He will get an incentive based deal.

As for Cano, he really is one of the few Yankees I actually like so I would love to see him here, but we wont give him what he wants.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets are among teams interested in 31-year-old, free-agent OF-1B Corey Hart, according to reports.

4:00 pm: Hart has talked to the Red Sox, Rays, Rockies and Brewers, among other interested teams, he told MLB Network Radio (Bowden).

The Mets have signed Brandon Allen to a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training.
The 27-year-old first baseman spent all of 2013 at Triple-A for the San Diego Padres, hitting .267 with a .347 OBP, 17 home runs and 76 RBI. He’s also seen a handful of games in the outfield, mostly in left field.
In 116 major league games over four seasons (from 2009-2012), Allen has hit .203 with a .290 OBP in 389 plate appearances. He hit 12 home runs and 41 RBI. He appeared in just seven games for the Tampa Bay Rays in 2012.
He bats left handed and throws righty.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewers more likely to trade Ryan Braun than Norichika Aoki

There is a better chance the Brewers trade OF Ryan Braun for Mets 1B Ike Davis than deal OF Norichika Aoki, according to people familiar with the team’s thinking.
Milwaukee is trying to make room for OF prospect Khris Davis, and they’re also looking for a left-handed power bat at first base (Sherman).
“They’ve indicated that they have extra first basemen, and we have a need,” Brewers GM Doug Melvin said during the GM Meetings (MLB.com).

The Mets could be able to pull the trigger on a one-for-one deal that can move Davis for a medium-talent outfielder, according to people aware of his market. The Rockies, Rays and Brewers seem to match up best. However, I assume Sandy Alderson will first try to package Davis with other players to get a more reputable bat to hit behind David Wright. If all else fails, he could turn to the Rays (maybe Matt Joyce), Rockies or some other team… or perhaps deal him for Braun.
Braun is guaranteed $113 million over the next seven seasons, and buzz from Milwaukee suggests they’ll pay a good chunk of it to force a change of scenery. Braun was suspended without pay for the final 65 games last season after admitting to violating MLB’s performance-enhancing drug policy. Braun tried to discredit the man who collected his urine sample in 2011 by telling peers he was a Cubs fan and anti-Semitic (Passan). He spent part of his September off calling season-ticket holders to apologize for the incident.
The thought of delivering Braun to New York’s conflict-driven media is a bit frightening, but I’ll consider anyone with power potential at a discount. I mean, his worst season was still better than anyone in Alderson’s current outfield.
In either case, team insiders say it’s very possible Davis will get traded and it’s clear the Brewers have interest – as do other teams. Again, Alderson has options. He’s looking to be creative, mix things up and add more than one new bat to his lineup. And, he may soon find he’ll get more bang for his buck when taking discounted, damaged players on the trade market than paying premium prices for overvalued talent on the free-agent market.

I would lose my mind if Braun was traded here, don't care about any of the PED stuff at all.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind PEDs, however, if he gets off the PEDs and is entirely clean is he a fraction of the player he was? Can we guarantee that type of production out of a clean Braun? That's a lot of money to invest in a question mark.

I love Braun as a player, but I don't see us trading for him, just wishful thinking.

As for other rumors, the Mets rather spend money on Hughes rather than Aroyo

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we were to sign another bat in the OF and sign Peralta at short, I really, really like a team comprised of:

LF: Eric Young Jr.
SS: Jhonny Peralta
3B: David Wright
RF: Granderson/Cruz?
CF: Chris Young
2B: Daniel Murphy
C: Travis D'Arnaud
1B: Lucas Duda

With a bench of Juan Lagares, Wilmer Flores, Jordany Valdespin, Josh Satin, Matt Den Dekker? That's not a bad lineup at all and our bench guys, who were starters last year are all dependable guys for small stretches of time.

See what we can get for Ike, maybe a mid tier starter or help in the pen. I think we upgrade our bullpen from within the organization, maybe see guys like Mejia, possibly Montero make their way up to the big leagues this year.