• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Spring Training Thread

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just hope that Pedro can somehow string together a few good games in a row and really get going with the bat... a Hot start might give him the confidence he needs to overcome some of his previous struggles.

The Talent is clearly there... Maturity and putting it all together ????

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume they are the same guys who will refer to Correia as an "All Star." I'm not a huge Karstans fan but he is better than Corriea is almost every measure.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So i heard marte hit another hr today?

Yes, indeed.

He came into the game late and hit the HR his first time up..... and it gave him hits in 8 consecutive at bats. Unfortunately, he made an out in his next at bat and broke the streak.

He's gotta be impressing the coaching staff. (He's certainly impressing me.)

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is still a lot of spring training left... But Marte has to have leap frogged over grossman on the depth chart... Before the spring I would have said they were on equal footing in terms of performance and timeline for being ready to maybe make the Pittsburgh Pirates..... Marte sure got a leg up on Grossman early

I sort of thought that McLouth might be the 4th outfielder.. If that happens Where would Marte play?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marte will start in Indy. No reason for him to start anywhere else.

On another note, I am watching yesterdays game vs Philly and the announcers were talking about the Pirates opening day starter. One of them brought up that he kind of thought ithe would be Correia, the other guy said that in talking with Hurdle that he really likes Karstens.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marte will start in Indy. No reason for him to start anywhere else.

On another note, I am watching yesterdays game vs Philly and the announcers were talking about the Pirates opening day starter. One of them brought up that he kind of thought ithe would be Correia, the other guy said that in talking with Hurdle that he really likes Karstens.

:pray:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem I have heard with Marte is his defense this Spring which is shocking. That was his strong point and his bat was weaker. There is no reason not to start him at AAA to get both parts refined again.

As for Karstens, per that article Mags linked, that they would push him to middle relief? I don't get it why would you want an efficient pitcher that could start in middle relief. Anyway it sounds like Hurdle likes him a lot so I think he will be a starter with Correia going to the Pen.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing shocking here but Gerrit Cole was assigned to minor league camp. BTW...Did anyone see him pitch? I didn't.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few comments.....

- Etrius Alert: Marte was ALREADY ahead of Grossman on the depth chart..... no question about that. In 2011, Marte won the batting title at AA Altoona, while Grossman was repeating a level at A+ Bradenton.

- Confirming comment by thecrow124: Marte will indeed start the 2012 season at AAA Indianapolis. Recent articles/quotes have reconfirmed that, in response to Marte's torrid hitting in the first few games of ST. (One example: The Trib link below, which starts with "Outfielder Marte...")

- Reply to thecrow124: Glad to hear about that comment from the Phillies announcers on Karstens. There's another interesting reference in Dejan's chat from yesterday..... two, in fact. In the first (about halfway down), DK responds to "Sonic" in a way that suggests Karstens will remain a starter. Later, "PirateApologist" asks where people are hearing this (that Karstens may go back to the BP). DK responds that he has "no idea." That's kind of interesting, since Biertempfel had just put it in writing the previous day. Makes me wonder whether DK and Biertempfel talk to each other, or read each other's stuff. At any rate, here's the link to Dejan's chat:

Dejan Kovacevic chat transcript - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

- Reply to thedddd: Most reports are indicating that Marte has looked shaky on D because he's not used to playing RF. Just about all his experience in the minors is in CF. Biertempfel is now reporting that Marte and Gorkys Hernandez will alternate between CF and LF at Indianapolis.

Outfielder Marte is front and center in Pirates' plans for future - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

- Reply to thedddd: Cole didn't appear in any spring training games..... only in intra-squad games. So..... the only folks who may have seen him pitch are those attending ST. Cole is slated to stay in Florida to start the season pitching for A+ Bradenton.

Pirates prospect Gerrit Cole reassigned to Minor League camp | pirates.com: News

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to play Captain Obvious here, as I know it is still very early in spring ball.

However, we seem to be playing some pretty good baseball.

I am starting to get stoked! LOL!

Burgh.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The w/l record is negative though isn't it? What do you mean? There are a few players who are really performing well - the outfielders basically.

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I was not speaking of the win loss record necessarilly.

Just that, from what I have been reading, we have been getting contributions off the jump, from the people that we would hope will be doing alot of the heavy lifting for us...

Pedro homered the other night, Tabata & Cutch hit really well tonight. Marte has been smoldering hot & that bodes well for the future in the minors.

LOL! I know, that our pitchers don't have their arms stretched out enough yet, to make a fair judgement on any of them, but I have been pleased with the production of a few of our more important hitters. Have not seen a spring game yet though, due to the Pens games.

I am probably just overly happy, with the spring victories over the Yankees & Red Sox this week though.

LOL!

Burgh

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Muppets are just genius. I've been watching Muppet Show DVDs lately, and a lot of the sketches are really surprisingly artistic and mature for what was (loosely) designed to be a kids' show.

As for the avatar, in the link which says User CP below the banner at the top of the screen, it gives you access to a lot of information and settings. You can see who has repped you and for what, as well as any comment they left, change your avatar (the tap is called "Avatar" or "Change Avatar" or something like that), your signature, your information, and the phrase which appears below your screenname.

If you go to change avatar, you can either upload a file or enter a link the the image of your choice. I just Google searched my favorite Muppet (Sweetums, as you can see; as a big, goofy dude who looks angry and scary but is actually kind of a nice guy on occasion, I can relate to him), clicked on my favorite image to get to the full-sized version, right clicked on the image, selected "copy image location/URL," and then pasted that link in the change avatar screen.

:thumb:

Darkstone, as you can see by my new Bert & Ernie Avatar under my screen name, I got the job done. I now know how to do Avatars!

Thanks for your help. It was very kind of you to assist me on this.

The Muppets Rock! LOL!

Now, back to the Buccos!

Burgh.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The w/l record is negative though isn't it? What do you mean? There are a few players who are really performing well - the outfielders basically.

Considering whom they have played (the AL East and the Phillies), I think they have done fine so far.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that has stuck out to me in these 2 games on mlbtv, is Marte. Not his stats.. I was under the impression that he was long and lanky lead off type, but thats not the case now.. with his build the power just has to be there. He has really been hitting the weight room.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mags...thanks for the details on Marte. I forgot he was playing more RF this ST! :L

Also, I know it is early and in ST, but with how poorly Alvarez and Evans are hitting right now. I wonder if we will see this at the Corners: McGehee/Alvarez at 3B and Hague/Jones at 1B? The only reason I say let Alvarez start at the majors is let him sink or swim and maybe he will swim facing more righties. Hague deserves a chance right now.

God I really hope Harrison doesn't make the team even though he is deserving with his numbers. If he makes the club that means someone played really bad.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that has stuck out to me in these 2 games on mlbtv, is Marte. Not his stats.. I was under the impression that he was long and lanky lead off type, but thats not the case now.. with his build the power just has to be there. He has really been hitting the weight room.

From seeing him play in one game on TV, plus a couple of still pictures, I had the exact same thought about Marte. He certainly LOOKS like he could grow into some power. As long as he doesn't start trying to hit for power in every at bat, it looks like he has a shot at being a really good hitter.

Mags...thanks for the details on Marte. I forgot he was playing more RF this ST! :L

Also, I know it is early and in ST, but with how poorly Alvarez and Evans are hitting right now. I wonder if we will see this at the Corners: McGehee/Alvarez at 3B and Hague/Jones at 1B? The only reason I say let Alvarez start at the majors is let him sink or swim and maybe he will swim facing more righties. Hague deserves a chance right now.

God I really hope Harrison doesn't make the team even though he is deserving with his numbers. If he makes the club that means someone played really bad.

You're welcome. Actually, I'm kind of wondering why they're playing Marte in RF during ST. From everything I've read, the team plans to keep McCutchen in CF, if and when Marte gets called up. (I'm not sure THAT'S the right decision, given Marte's stellar reputation as a CF..... but I can understand the team giving Cutch that kind of respect.) At any rate, if they DO keep Cutch in CF, it seems likely that Marte would play LF, due to the dimensions of PNC Park. And they've already announced a plan to have Marte and Hernandez alternate between CF and LF at Indianapolis. So..... why not play Marte in LF while he's still in major league camp?

I fully agree with your comments about Alvarez, Evans, McGehee, Hague, and Jones. I HOPE I'm wrong..... as you point out, it's still very early..... but my worries about Alvarez continue to increase. Seems that his chances of being a bust have increased to 50/50. He's GOTTA get his head into a good place.

Hurdle appears to like Harrison's energy and attitude. My guess is that his chance to make the team probably hinges upon how he looks at SS.

Definitely some interesting stuff going on the Pirates' camp this Spring.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone tell me that "it's only spring training." The Pirates are now 3-7, and I'm beginning to get concerned.