• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitdh is gone and not tendered. Doubt if Profar or Odor or Gallo go anywhere. Maybe one plays 1B or could be longshot. Guzman gets 40 man roster spot Could be a surprise. We thought it was Gallo but he will have to plug holes in swing Profar has a shot at 1B but if we can move him for quality SP quite possible.

Gomez signs. Alberto is cheap. He is back. Hoying will be out righted IMO. No Dutch so def in market for pitching. Really need more than AAA depth as well. Beltran will be gone. Time for Choo to DH. Wonder if he could learn some 1B. Maz RF. Rua starts somewhere LF or 1B. Find a legit #3 SP likely via trade Am I missing something?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitdh is gone and not tendered. Doubt if Profar or Odor or Gallo go anywhere. Maybe one plays 1B or could be longshot. Guzman gets 40 man roster spot Could be a surprise. We thought it was Gallo but he will have to plug holes in swing Profar has a shot at 1B but if we can move him for quality SP quite possible.

Gomez signs. Alberto is cheap. He is back. Hoying will be out righted IMO. No Dutch so def in market for pitching. Really need more than AAA depth as well. Beltran will be gone. Time for Choo to DH. Wonder if he could learn some 1B. Maz RF. Rua starts somewhere LF or 1B. Find a legit #3 SP likely via trade Am I missing something?
Do you think we could find a #4 or #5 for much cheaper than the $11 million option that we have on Derek. Suppose he was a free agent coming from another team. Wouldn't a one year deal for that amount for a pitcher who has pitched better in the past be just the kind of player JD would take a risk on?

Heck, we signed Lance Berkman to a one year deal for $10 million back in 2013.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A show me deal would be seriously perfect for him. If he can sign for 1 year 8 million he could get a big payday with a good year.

give him a 1 year deal for 8 + a club option 2nd year for 10

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no one seems to think Gallo or Profar have much future here so how about them, perez + a couple of others for Sales and lawrie

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That all depends on what made Hamels pitch so ineffectively. I think Yu rebounds as he gets farther and farther away from the surgery, but I don't know what made Hamels pitch so poorly. Maybe he mysteriously gets better like he mysteriously got worse. Maybe.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think we could find a #4 or #5 for much cheaper than the $11 million option that we have on Derek. Suppose he was a free agent coming from another team. Wouldn't a one year deal for that amount for a pitcher who has pitched better in the past be just the kind of player JD would take a risk on?

I think Derek has lost his stuff otherwise we would pick up option

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we keep Gomez //Desmond, who plays CF? I like Gomez since that's his natural and Ian to left. By signing both, DDJ can move on.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one seems to think Gallo or Profar have much future here so how about them, perez + a couple of others for Sales and lawrie
You would have to find that Chicago had a completely different opinion of Gallo and Profar than the ones on here that you are referencing. If that is the case there might be a reason why they think differently.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

turn down Holland's option and then re-sign him for 1 year $7M + an team option 2nd year at $9M

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Derek has lost his stuff otherwise we would pick up option
When you say lost his stuff then you mean he has lost the stuff to start in the big leagues or lost what he used to have when he was a cinch to be in the postseason rotation?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would have to find that Chicago had a completely different opinion of Gallo and Profar than the ones on here that you are referencing. If that is the case there might be a reason why they think differently.

they expressed interest in both just prior to the trade deadline

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they expressed interest in both just prior to the trade deadline
I do not see anyone showing much interest in Gallo at least at this time. Profar different story.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say lost his stuff then you mean he has lost the stuff to start in the big leagues or lost what he used to have when he was a cinch to be in the postseason rotation?

I think lost enough not to make Ranger reg season rotation. Velo is down which you know. Not winning thr battle against batters.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think lost enough not to make Ranger reg season rotation. Velo is down which you know. Not winning thr battle against batters.
We have had some real clunkers at the #5 spot over the last few years though so I am not sure they wouldn't take a one year chance on Holland. I am not sure they will find a better guy unless they are willing to commit to a longer contract with someone who is also somewhat of a risk. Then again, I may be way off base here and they may have already decided to do just that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not see anyone showing much interest in Gallo at least at this time. Profar different story.
I fully expect Joey to work hard this offseason and come to ST and have just as good of a spring as he had this year. Now, they certainly can't depend on that for the beginning of 2017. I wouldn't be surprised to see him show a lot of promise again next year. He got in a very bad way about the beginning of August and hopefully he can work that out this offseason. He has made great strides in past offseasons.

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has mentioned Colby. I don't think he makes it back and hope I'm wrong

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has mentioned Colby. I don't think he makes it back and hope I'm wrong
The way the season ended he might have to sign a minor league deal.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had some real clunkers at the #5 spot over the last few years though so I am not sure they wouldn't take a one year chance on Holland. I am not sure they will find a better guy unless they are willing to commit to a longer contract with someone who is also somewhat of a risk. Then again, I may be way off base here and they may have already decided to do just that.

We have AJ and likely Colby for cheaper if we want him. I am hoping they find a more talented SP likely via trade who fits in as a 3 with Perez as 4. Just an opinion. Also may get Mendez in rotation

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect Joey to work hard this offseason and come to ST and have just as good of a spring as he had this year. Now, they certainly can't depend on that for the beginning of 2017. I wouldn't be surprised to see him show a lot of promise again next year. He got in a very bad way about the beginning of August and hopefully he can work that out this offseason. He has made great strides in past offseasons.

Maybe he gets more time with Giambi to tasked care of holes in swing and learn to be a professional. Too much talent but without change will be a waste. Need to continue patience on our end and likely him towards himself. Called maturity