• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly it has nothing to do with not having the resources.

From Divish's piece:

"We are doing the best we can to develop our system, not to clog it. Could we go out and sign a free agent that would be better than our current fifth starter? Absolutely. Would that be the best thing for the present of the Mariners? Maybe. Would it be the best thing through the wider lens for the present and future of the Mariners? Probably not. We'll be able to address those needs as we go. Because the one thing we've not had to deal with here is a lack of resources"

So to sum it up we could sign a starter, we just don't want to because are afraid it will clog our pitching depth. Ill just say if you have the resources to make a move then fucking make it. I'm not gonna say our ownership group is great but I think this is 100% on Dipoto if I am reading this right. And that will happen when you don't have a real baseball guy above him to hold him accountable.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto explains why Mariners aren’t worried about rotation, farm system

Our prospect system has been the most productive prospect system in baseball for the last two (seasons).”

Wow, ok its official, he has no clue what he is doing.

Dipoto explains why Mariners aren't worried about rotation, farm system

Am I reading this correctly?

"Our prospect system has been the most productive prospect system in baseball for the last two (seasons)."???????

I actually had to read it three times over then type it out just to make sure I read that right. By what metric is it the most productive prospect system??? Jesus Christ this guy is fucking delusional.

I was surprised by Dipoto's confusion regarding the Gonzales trade, now I'm really starting to wonder if he is actually stupid.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We are doing the best we can to develop our system, not to clog it. Could we go out and sign a free agent that would be better than our current fifth starter? Absolutely. Would that be the best thing for the present of the Mariners? Maybe. Would it be the best thing through the wider lens for the present and future of the Mariners? Probably not. We'll be able to address those needs as we go. Because the one thing we've not had to deal with here is a lack of resources"

So we could trade for Trout, but it could clog us up for the future and we are not worried about today even though we are an aging team with limited shelf life.

I go back to my statement the other day on here; M's don't want high expectations because there are certain pressures that come with it. Mediocrity is the place M's feel most comfortable and profitable.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really concerned about Jerry's mental state. In what world is someone concerned about hurting depth when none of these depth guys are anything more than a 5th starter have thus far none have proven they can get through 5 innings. So essentially he has 12 long relievers so he can't sign a pitcher?

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey don't shoot the messenger, I couldn't believe he could say our farm system been the most production either. He must be high or drunk. That's freaking crazy. Ow well I guess it was only a matter of time before I received my first dislike.

Wow I'm now considered a Well-Known Member, today just gets crazier and crazier. Good for me!!:D

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back to my statement the other day on here; M's don't want high expectations because there are certain pressures that come with it. Mediocrity is the place M's feel most comfortable and profitable.

Makes sense. Any offseason with even faint expectations 2008, 2010, 2015, 2017 have been complete flops

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. Any offseason with even faint expectations 2008, 2010, 2015, 2017 have been complete flops

Don't quote me on this. But it seems like the unexpecting years of success were lead by good overall moves, then unexpected success then idiotic moves that led to a bad year. This past year was nothing but idiotic moves after the Segura and Haniger deal. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised and I will be the first to apologize to Jerry and say I didn't get it. With Bavasi and Jack Z I saw they were "building something" had one good year then burnt it down trying for insant success.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the M's management gave fans hope those years. I think they refuse to get to the level of giving fans expectations. Yankee fans expect to win every year because of history dictates that. Same said with Red Sox, Dodgers, Braves (throughout the John Scherholtz/Bobby Cox years) and so on. When they don't win, big disappointment and bashing occurs. That is more costly to a franchise than one who promises little and delivers little (see Mariners). It goes with the old adage, 'Expect nothing and never be disappointed'.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can we get some benefit from all these cheaters? Losing is as contagious as winning in organizations.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Bavasi and Jack Z I saw they were "building something" had one good year then burnt it down trying for insant success.

I think that's what aggravates me as much as anything. When a GM lays out the type of on field product he wants and then goes away from it within a year or two. I can't remember Bavasi's first years as much and don't care to look them up but with Jack Z it became clear with the Montero for Pineda trade that he abandoned his original plan and then compounded it within the next few years. If there's two things I remember about Dipoto when he came it was outfield defense and getting on base(aka control the zone). This offseason he plans to convert a 2nd baseman in his 30's to CF and he trades for a first baseman who doesn't walk and has a horrible K rate.
Now obviously too early to judge but they are just puzzling moves to me as of now.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can we get some benefit from all these cheaters? Losing is as contagious as winning in organizations.

Good now we can go sign a pitcher without worrying about blocking someone. Right? Because the reason why Jerry wont sign a starter is he fears he's blocking the young arms in this system.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good now we can go sign a pitcher without worrying about blocking someone. Right? Because the reason why Jerry wont sign a starter is he fears he's blocking the young arms in this system.

I truly LOL'd on that one. Thanks, I needed that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still can't believe Jerry believes the minor league organization has even been moderately productive.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still can't believe Jerry believes the minor league organization has even been moderately productive.

To be fair to DIP, we should at least examine the system and what it has provided the M's since DIP's tenure.

C- No
1B- No
2B- No
SS- No
3B- No
LF- No
CF- No
RF- No
Backup OF - Yes (Heredia)

SP1- Yes to some degree (Paxton)
SP2- No
SP3- No
SP4- No
SP5- No

Bullpen - Who cares they are a dime a dozen.

So after weighing the obvious, the answer is still a Hell No!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to DIP, we should at least examine the system and what it has provided the M's since DIP's tenure.

C- No
1B- No
2B- No
SS- No
3B- No
LF- No
CF- No
RF- No
Backup OF - Yes (Heredia)

SP1- Yes to some degree (Paxton)
SP2- No
SP3- No
SP4- No
SP5- No

Bullpen - Who cares they are a dime a dozen.

So after weighing the obvious, the answer is still a Hell No!

Paxton made it to the majors before Dip even got here, so I don't give him credit for that. I believe he was drafted by Jack Z. Diaz was also acquired by Jack Z.

In recent years our farm system has produced jack shit. And what it has produced were Jack Z's guys, with the exception of Heredia.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paxton made it to the majors before Dip even got here, so I don't give him credit for that. I believe he was drafted by Jack Z. Diaz was also acquired by Jack Z.

In recent years our farm system has produced jack shit. And what it has produced were Jack Z's guys, with the exception of Heredia.

I gave him credit for Paxton only because he did have him back and forth in the upper system since taking over.

I gave him credit for Diaz because I believe it was he who turned him into a closer after being a starter.

Believe me, it was painful to even give him part credit for both those guys. Overall he gets an 'F' from me.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
huge woman.jpg

Mariners new head trainer. :)

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
make no changes to a garbage rotation and claim that it's as good as any other team's who didn't make the playoffs last year

dipto and the new ownership group really do think the pacific nw is full of morons