• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So figured since really the off season starts this week with this being more of a meaningless game and more about evaluation than about winning we could have an off season thread.

This is for voicing opinions on who you like for FA and the draft. Probably more FA considering we have a draft thread that has quite a bit of content already. Possibly thoughts on any kind of coaching moves we make over the next week or two.

Just remember we have some differing voices on here so try to keep it half way civil when you disagree with someones view point. Mostly like this type of thread just to see all the thoughts on the team

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt that Elway and his staff have been scouring rosters and putting together their evaluations of O-line and D-line players that will be entering free agency. Gotta improve in the trenches on both sides of the ball. It seems that the Broncos like to plug as many holes as they can prior to the draft, so they can focus on best player available.

Also no doubt that many conversations are taking place about coaching changes, specifically on the offense. Gonna be some dark days for a few players and coaches in the next few weeks.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the Broncos take a run at Dontari Poe in free agency. Although his back issues are a concern, he would be a serious upgrade at a position of need, and he would weaken a division rival. The Chiefs may hit him with the franchise tag, but they're pretty tight against the cap and they also have Eric Berry to worry about so there's a chance they let him walk.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors of Kubiak retiring are starting to dampen a bit. More leaning towards the side of the Offensive coaching staff changing up some positions. So looks like one guy might be recognized as the scapegoat. My guess is Clancy Barone the OL coach. He is a holdover from the previous coaching staff so wouldn't be as much in the inner circle.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, there are a lot of rumors floating around that Kubiak may retire at the end of the season due to health issues. If he does, who do you think the Broncos should look at bringing in as head coach? Whoever it is I would hope they would be willing to let Wade continue to run the defense. I wonder if a guy like Kyle Shanahan would intrigue the Broncos. He runs a similar offense to obviously great effect. I do wonder though if Elway's alleged beef with Mike Shanahan would prevent something like this from happening.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors of Kubiak retiring are starting to dampen a bit. More leaning towards the side of the Offensive coaching staff changing up some positions. So looks like one guy might be recognized as the scapegoat. My guess is Clancy Barone the OL coach. He is a holdover from the previous coaching staff so wouldn't be as much in the inner circle.
He's got to go in my opinion. The line has been garbage and seems to get worse every week.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got to go in my opinion. The line has been garbage and seems to get worse every week.

Oh I agree. He just seems like the easy choice for scapegoat because of how terrible his positional players have done and because of being a holdover coach. Makes too much sense.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also wonder where the Broncos stand with Rick Dennison. I've been hearing a lot of momentum on the local radio stations to promote Greg Knapp to O Coordinator. Knapp has more experience with a system that includes more hurry-up and shotgun formations but can also excel in the Kubiak system. The Broncos need to figure out how to improve Siemian's play OR get Paxton ready.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also wonder where the Broncos stand with Rick Dennison. I've been hearing a lot of momentum on the local radio stations to promote Greg Knapp to O Coordinator. Knapp has more experience with a system that includes more hurry-up and shotgun formations but can also excel in the Kubiak system. The Broncos need to figure out how to improve Siemian's play OR get Paxton ready.

I'm torn on Knapp. On one hand I like what he has done working with so many different QB's throughout his career and seeing so many go on to succeed. I appreciated when he was given play calling that the hurry up seemed to be the only offense that worked some this year. At the same time I have heard he called the final 3 games of the season and well they were our worst Offensive outputs of the entire season.

I'm really on the Mike McCoy train coming back to Denver if he gets fired.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn on Knapp. On one hand I like what he has done working with so many different QB's throughout his career and seeing so many go on to succeed. I appreciated when he was given play calling that the hurry up seemed to be the only offense that worked some this year. At the same time I have heard he called the final 3 games of the season and well they were our worst Offensive outputs of the entire season.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily a Knapp fan either. Just commenting on some of what I've been hearing. Mike McCoy would be a very interesting addition. Hadn't thought of that!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not necessarily a Knapp fan either. Just commenting on some of what I've been hearing. Mike McCoy would be a very interesting addition. Hadn't thought of that!

I sometimes hated how conservative McCoy would get but at the same time I always appreciated that he designed his offense around the QB instead of making his QB fit within what he wants to do.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think bringing back McCoy would be a great hire.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm on the Jason Vrable train to replace Knapp!! :D

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the Broncos take a run at Dontari Poe in free agency. Although his back issues are a concern, he would be a serious upgrade at a position of need, and he would weaken a division rival. The Chiefs may hit him with the franchise tag, but they're pretty tight against the cap and they also have Eric Berry to worry about so there's a chance they let him walk.

Berry seemed really unhappy with the way contract talks went last year at one point saying he wasn't gonan sign a long term deal. I sorta wonder if they may lose Berry and re-sign Poe. Hard to say but Berry will make even more money this year then he would have last year had he signed a long term deal and KC didn't want to pay him what he wanted last year. Hard to say. They may be more willing this year as he has put up an MVP like year. Either way, could easily lose 1 of these 2.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the Jason Vrable train to replace Knapp!! :D

Haha I don't know he might get distracted a little too much hanging out with family instead of coaching up our Qb's.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see McCoy back in Denver, but seems really unlikely. But hey Josh McDaniels did it with New England.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berry seemed really unhappy with the way contract talks went last year at one point saying he wasn't gonan sign a long term deal. I sorta wonder if they may lose Berry and re-sign Poe. Hard to say but Berry will make even more money this year then he would have last year had he signed a long term deal and KC didn't want to pay him what he wanted last year. Hard to say. They may be more willing this year as he has put up an MVP like year. Either way, could easily lose 1 of these 2.

Kansas City is in a terrible Cap situation. They are estimated to already be over what next year's will be. So they are going to have to make some cuts just to afford their draft class and RFA's. Good chance Jamaal Charles is gone because he has a decent cap hit and no dead money. That helps them out a bit. They could restructure Alex Smith's deal but that just means he is locked in as their starting QB for more seasons and they seem to be wanting to move on soon.

So yes a deal with Berry or Poe is going to be difficult. I think they will figure it out with one of them but definitely not both. My guess is they try to keep Berry more so than Poe because of Poe's bad back.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha I don't know he might get distracted a little too much hanging out with family instead of coaching up our Qb's.
He is a worker - why he really struggled with the just released staff in Buffalo...

I do know that if the Bills end up hiring Lynn, Jason will likely stay there as he is under contract for next year and Lynn is a big fan of his.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see McCoy back in Denver, but seems really unlikely. But hey Josh McDaniels did it with New England.

Well I doubt he is getting a Head Coaching job again once he is fired so OC is what he has ahead of him. Just depends on what happens to our coaching staff of whether we would have a chance at him or not. I'm a bit afraid Kubiak will scare off any true OC from wanting to come here because of Kubiak wanting some of the control over the offense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a worker - why he really struggled with the just released staff in Buffalo...

I do know that if the Bills end up hiring Lynn, Jason will likely stay there as he is under contract for next year and Lynn is a big fan of his.

Sounds like even if things don't work out there somebody will want him then. Glad he is building a good reputation with some that will be around the league. IF we bring in Tyrod then would definitely love to have him come to Denver since he has the experience working with him.