• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Odd comment by Bobby Bowden

Pokes-WalkingBoss

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,807.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Bowden: Boys without fathers wear earrings to be like their mommas 3 / 23

Sporting News

Jordan Heck1 hr ago

BBxTGXN.img
© (Getty Images) Bobby Bowden Former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden had an interesting appearance Wednesday on ESPN's "Mike & Mike."

Bowden brought up the topic of athletes not having fathers, which is something that will always draw a reaction (just look at George Karl). Bowden said he started noticing this trend later in his head coaching career, which ran from 1976–2009.

Earrings for Men Boys Studs Black Hollow Pattern Non Pierced Bali - Men studs
Made of Stainless Steel material: Black Color and Hollow Pattern Design.Measures 10 mm in diameter: 10 mm thickness.Suitable for Daily Wear: Earring requires Non Pierced.Product color may vary slightly due to photographic lighting sources or your monitor settings.
Mirraw Designs | Sponsored

"During my last days at Florida State, 65 to 70 percent of my boys did not have a daddy at home," Bowden said. "They're raised by mommas. Thank God for them mommas, or grandmommas. Or big sister, or aunt. But where's the man?

"A boy needs a male figure, and the girls do, too. Somebody to discipline them and make them be a man. I used to kid about this, they grew up wanting to be like their momma. They want to be a man like their momma, that's why they wear earrings."

Oh boy. Bobby Bowden on players not having dads. "They wanna grow up to be men, like their momma. That's why they wear earrings." pic.twitter.com/iBhUueqEqw

— Dr Cork Gaines (@CorkGaines) January 4, 2017

Bowden added he was joking, but this is a subject on which many people have opinions.

of note: these coaches decry this lack of fathers while exploiting those fathers' absences in recruiting. but alas.

— El Flaco (@bomani_jones) January 4, 2017

This isn't age, he's always been like this https://t.co/b4jDpmxAtp

— HAPPY MOO YEAR (@edsbs) January 4, 2017

That wasn't the only odd thing the 87-year-old brought up in the interview. He was asked what was the furthest he's gone to get a recruit to sign.

"Slept in a boy's bed the night before signing day while other coaches were out in the front yardwaiting for seven o'clock," he responded. "Slept in his bed that night, got up and ate breakfast. His momma cooked me breakfast. I knew I had him."

"That was back when you could do that. You can't do that anymore."

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"A boy needs a male figure, and the girls do, too. Somebody to discipline them and make them be a man. I used to kid about this, they grew up wanting to be like their momma. They want to be a man like their momma, that's why they wear earrings

He was kidding and making a point at the same time...:noidea: No big deal iyam.

Jekku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an old guy talking and having fun. Leave him alone, I doubt he was serious.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 80 something years old and made a joke, some people need to lighten up.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't really need any other reason to feel disgusted by the ol' fart. But thanks!

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing in all the outrage I'm sure is the fact he is making a good point. There are far too many kids these days being raised by single parents. That's not a knock on the single mom (or dad) most of them do the best they can. But I believe it is an issue within our society. The earrings thing was clearly a joke

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a joke. Barely 10 years ago this wouldn't even be a story and everybody would have laughed. But now mainstream media, along with this weak as fuck snowflake generation are now too sensitive and their feelings get hurt b/c their parents raised a bunch of va jj's.....

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either Bobby or Jimbo said, "If it weren't for masturbating nobody would be married". I read that somewhere.