• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

O’s Expected To Make Qualifying Offer To Cruz, Decline Markakis’ Option

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Orioles are planning on making a qualifying offer to Nelson Cruz and decline their half of a $17.5MM option on Nick Markakis in favor of a $2MM buyout, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

The Cruz decision has been evident for quite some time, given the slugger’s MLB-leading 40 homers and strong .271/.333/.525 batting line. Cruz struggled in the wake of a qualifying offer from the Rangers last offseason, ultimately settling for a one-year, $8MM contract with Baltimore. While many contend that the qualifying offer crushed his market — and that’s certainly part of the reason for his struggles – Cruz also hit the open market with sky-high expectations in 2013, reportedly seeking as much as $75MM in the early-going. Had he been open to signing for less, a strong multi-year offer may have been on the table. However, now that he’s coming off such a strong season that put more separation between him and a suspension for performance enhancing drugs, he’s a lock to turn down that QO and in a much better position to land a strong multi-year deal.

The Markakis decision could have gone either way, in my mind, but the decision to decline his option seems to indicate that he won’t be on the receiving end of a QO of his own. The Orioles, in theory, could have exercised their half of the option in hopes of Markakis declining his, then made a qualifying offer, assuming that a player at his age and with his track record wouldn’t want to play on a one-year deal. I thought that to be the likely outcome prior to Heyman’s report.

However, declining the option suggests that they’re not interested in paying him $17.5MM, which is nearly the exact amount that the buyout plus a qualifying offer of $15.3MM would total. It’s possible that Baltimore will still extend the QO in order to have saved roughly $200K in the event that Markakis accepts, but that would be a very peculiar route to take with someone who is so respected within the organization. The likely outcome now seems to be that he won’t cost a draft pick this offseason, which should dramatically improve his free agent stock.

The O’s have a large number of arbitration eligible players, including Chris Tillman, Zach Britton, Chris Davis, Matt Wieters and Bud Norris, so their arb-eligibles will inflate their payroll substantially. Because of that, it’s possible that the Orioles simply felt that they couldn’t fit both Markakis and Cruz into their 2015 budget, and their preference is to position themselves more strongly to retain Cruz’s power. The 30-year-old Markakis certainly didn’t have a poor season himself, however, as he hit .276/.342/.386 with 14 homers and right-field defense that graded out favorably from a metrics standpoint.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both don't seem like much of a surprise. Offer Cruz a offer if he takes it good, if not then we get a draft pick if we can't bring him back.

Markakis isn't worth 17.5 mill. No brainer there. I don't think they'll make him an offer in case he takes it as he's not worth that much. Would suck not getting a draft pick if he goes to another team though.

Going to be interesting if they can keep either or them.

I wonder what type of trade market there is for Davis and Weiters. Probably not much since their both free agents after next year.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both don't seem like much of a surprise. Offer Cruz a offer if he takes it good, if not then we get a draft pick if we can't bring him back.

Markakis isn't worth 17.5 mill. No brainer there. I don't think they'll make him an offer in case he takes it as he's not worth that much. Would suck not getting a draft pick if he goes to another team though.

Going to be interesting if they can keep either or them.

I wonder what type of trade market there is for Davis and Weiters. Probably not much since their both free agents after next year.

Markakis is an O for life. Angelos loves him, as do the fans. No way they let him go.

Elginbaylor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the Orioles payroll next year around $130+ million, about $25 million more than this year. This is if they keep Markakis, Cruz, Chris Davis, Wieters, De Aza, Hunter, Matusz, and they lose Andrew Miller, Nick Hundley, Kelly Johnson. It is just a rough estimate, you can make your own estimates.

A team like the Dodgers can offer Andrew Miller 4 years, $50+ million to be their closer. So if the Orioles want to match, perhaps they can let go of Chris Davis, Jim Johnson-style.

They don't have money to sign an "Ace", or any big name FAs. But they don't need to anyways.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do wonder how much roid boy is going to get

it will be fun to see just how many years he can get

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems cruz wants 5 years !! no ty maybe a 3 year deal at the most

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be very shocked if Cruz got a 5 year deal. I think 3 or 4 should be a max in terms of contract length he should get. As for Markakis, I'd love to see him come back. While I am not a big fan of putting him as the leadoff hitter (think he's better slotted in the 2 hole), he's still putting up decent numbers, enough to try to re-sign him again.