• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame Ranking Discussion Thread (Updates when New Rankings come out)

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A one loss Bama team (since they already have a loss) has to win the conference. A one loss LSU team could finish second in the West, but I think that loss coming in November would be so late in the season that I don't think the voters would give them a spot. I don't think any conference is getting more than one spot in the playoff.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A one loss Bama team (since they already have a loss) has to win the conference. A one loss LSU team could finish second in the West, but I think that loss coming in November would be so late in the season that I don't think the voters would give them a spot. I don't think any conference is getting more than one spot in the playoff.
I agree with you. No way especially that the SEC isn't that strong this year. They have a lot of good teams but most are over rated. After looking over everything we need 1 conference to screw up. To be honest the only conference I see screwing up is the SEC. I think the conference champ in that league will have 2 L's. Do they get in over a 1 Loss ND who plays a top 10 Schedule.

We need Baylor to screw up and TCU.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. No way especially that the SEC isn't that strong this year. They have a lot of good teams but most are over rated. After looking over everything we need 1 conference to screw up. To be honest the only conference I see screwing up is the SEC. I think the conference champ in that league will have 2 L's. Do they get in over a 1 Loss ND who plays a top 10 Schedule.

We need Baylor to screw up and TCU.

If Oklahoma wins out, that knocks out the Big-12. All three of their power teams would all have at least one loss, Oklahoma would win the conference. And their only loss would be to a Texas team that we beat by 35 points. Then if we win out, we take care of the PAC-12.

If FSU beats Clemson, the ACC's champ will have lost to a team that we were leading by 23 with a minute to go. (this was a good week for ND football. We just need to win out)

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well If Notre Dame beats Pitt who wins the ACC that eliminates them, and if Notre Dame beat Stanford and they win the Pac12 that eliminates them leaving the Big12 Champ, SEC Champ and Big10 Champ, plus Notre Dame.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course if Stanford loses to Washington State then they are eliminated as well, of course it would hurt Notre Dame's schedule but would eliminate the Pac12.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course if Stanford loses to Washington State then they are eliminated as well, of course it would hurt Notre Dame's schedule but would eliminate the Pac12.
We want Stanford to win because if we beat Stanford it knocks them out. a 2 loss team that ND beat will not jump ND.

is it me or OSU plays the easiest schedule every year. They havent played anyone yet and the season is almost over.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We want Stanford to win because if we beat Stanford it knocks them out. a 2 loss team that ND beat will not jump ND.

is it me or OSU plays the easiest schedule every year. They havent played anyone yet and the season is almost over.

Take a look at Iowa's remaining schedule. How can anyone look at it and bitch about the fact hat we aren't in a conference.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I look at it most teams with a conference championship game play at least one team that is an FCS opponent that has no shot at beating them which means they've really only played 12 games. Now this season Notre Dame has played UMass who is essentially a slight better version of an FCS school and only on the schedule because a former Kelly assistant was the former head coach. However the rest of Notre Dame's schedule has been quality opponents and wins over teams like Texas and Georgia Tech don't look as bad as they did considering both may be bowl teams by the end of the season.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Texas are basically two special teams blunders away from being 5-2 instead of 3-4. With games against Kansas, Iowa State, West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Baylor I think they can win at least 3 of those games maybe 4.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus we still have Temple, pitt and Stanford. Plus when we played Navy they havent lost yet. ND schedule has been impressive. Better then most teams.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia Tech game looks much better now that they squeaked by FSU. I always have to smile when I see Jimbo lose. I think the perception is going to be a little hard for ND at times. We play a pseudo ACC schedule but don't benefit from their Championship game. Our schedule doesn't look awful compared to many to be sure.

But it's clearly evident that there's bias. Herbstreit says his top one-loss teams are Alabama and Stanford. STANFORD! Yet our only loss is to a team ranked way higher than them and we arguably could've won the game, much more arguable than Stanford winning the Northwestern game which they lost and NW is now out of the top25 unlike Clemson. This bias isn't easy to negotiate sadly. Sure it'll work itself out but it just irks me with all the prognosticating they do way ahead of time that it could in fact influence committee members. Do committee members have any more expertise than the ESPN hobnobbers?

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone posted this somewhere else, and I liked it so I am stealing it and re-posting it here. I think ND's playoff has already started. They need to win every game, because even one more loss means they are out of the running for the national championship. Its not a two game playoff, its a 7 game playoff and it starts with Temple now. That is the only way to keep the team motiviated, and not play down to the next 4 opponents. I am unimpressed with any of them, but they are exactly the type of teams and having the type of years where they can catch us napping and steal a win. Kelly's gotta beat in their heads its all playoff games from here on out, and they'd better play like it is. Don't worry about anyone else, take care of the here and now.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone posted this somewhere else, and I liked it so I am stealing it and re-posting it here. I think ND's playoff has already started. They need to win every game, because even one more loss means they are out of the running for the national championship. Its not a two game playoff, its a 7 game playoff and it starts with Temple now. That is the only way to keep the team motiviated, and not play down to the next 4 opponents. I am unimpressed with any of them, but they are exactly the type of teams and having the type of years where they can catch us napping and steal a win. Kelly's gotta beat in their heads its all playoff games from here on out, and they'd better play like it is. Don't worry about anyone else, take care of the here and now.

Translation: Beat the living shit out of Temple. Make Gameday question why they chose to come to this game.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought I'd say this, but are we getting to the point where we need to worry about Memphis. If they go undefeated with a win over Ole Miss there will be a bunch of people saying they deserve to be in the playoff. I think our schedule would trump theirs, but still, I tend to worry about these things.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought I'd say this, but are we getting to the point where we need to worry about Memphis. If they go undefeated with a win over Ole Miss there will be a bunch of people saying they deserve to be in the playoff. I think our schedule would trump theirs, but still, I tend to worry about these things.
Perhaps, but if there was ever a conference to get passed over it would be the AAC. It would suck if you're a Memphis fan, but the silver lining would be it would expedite an 8 game playoff, which I think would be optimal.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about getting bumped out by a undefeated Memphis team. I do think that one of the AAC teams will get the non-power five new years six bowl bid Temple, Houston, or Memphis.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Poe, Memphis is the closest to being worthy but I think just about any P5 #2 could beat them.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about getting bumped out by a undefeated Memphis team. I do think that one of the AAC teams will get the non-power five new years six bowl bid Temple, Houston, or Memphis.

Whichever one ends up undefeated. God I hope it's not Temple.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Be nice if Navy could beat Memphis, for numerous reasons.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Temple isn't undefeated although Notre Dame really tried to make them 8-0.