• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not happy to read this

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent CB Byron Maxwell said he'd "definitely" consider signing with the Eagles.

Philadelphia seems like the overwhelming favorite for Maxwell. They play a ton of Cover 3 with a single-high safety, leaving their corners in man coverage on the outside. It's the scheme in which Maxwell excelled in Seattle. The Eagles are sitting on a pile of cash after ridding their roster of veterans this past week. Maxwell is expected to command $10 million per year.

I give mad props to Maxwell's ability, so last thing I want to see is him signing with the eagles.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Maxwell is pretty good but about to be overpaid. So I am leery of this report. The guy played next to three all-pros in the secondary.

That said, I do think this is very legit. Philly has the money, is not a terrible team, and most importantly perhaps, plays the style of D that Maxwell needs to be successful.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$10 mil seems a little outrageous to me. I would put him likely around the $7 mil mark in AAV. Something like 5y/$35-40 mil with $10-12 mil guaranteed.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I bet he gets $10 mil or more. Dude is going to get paid somewhere.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hope: this does not happen
Better the competition you play against the better you play. You can't get to the SB thumping on TB and Oakland caliber teams every week. Besides I think Chip Kelly is going to be the Eagles downfall.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I bet he gets $10 mil or more. Dude is going to get paid somewhere.

I don't put him in the top 10 CB. If you are not top 10, you aren't sniffing double digit millions in AAV. I would be willing to bet his contract looks similar to DRC's contract with the Giants last year.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$10M is way too much for Maxwell. He's a bit injury prone and plays in a lights out defense pass rush and secondary wise. He rarely has to cover anything within 10 yards LOS because Irvin turned out to transition to pass defense much better than any scout/analyst projected.

His interceptions come from the pass rush and he's not a 'make a play' type of corner like Sherman/Revis.

THAT ALL SAID, I think he's a decent corner and I'd love Seattle to resign him (for cheap), but paying $10M+ for a 'decent corner' is absolutely absurd. I'd love a team in the NFC to pay that much for him, because it doesn't improve the team THAT much and it wastes cap $.

And I dunno what it is about the Eagles, but EVERY year these guys are routinely paper champs. They sign Maxwell (meh) for way too much, trade for Kiko Alsonso (who had ONE good season with a STACKED - best in league front 4, coming off an ACL. Yet I've heard people on this forum say he's one of THE BEST defenders in the league, WTF?!), and do some dumbass blockbuster trade (forecasting) for Mariota, and suddenly they are favorites to win the Super Bowl.

I just don't get it.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent CB Byron Maxwell said he'd "definitely" consider signing with the Eagles.

Philadelphia seems like the overwhelming favorite for Maxwell. They play a ton of Cover 3 with a single-high safety, leaving their corners in man coverage on the outside. It's the scheme in which Maxwell excelled in Seattle. The Eagles are sitting on a pile of cash after ridding their roster of veterans this past week. Maxwell is expected to command $10 million per year.

I give mad props to Maxwell's ability, so last thing I want to see is him signing with the eagles.
There is one HUGE difference. The Eagles don't have Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas in the secondary. Maxwell excelled in the best secondary in the NFL, maybe even of all time. There is no guarantee he will be more than an average to above average corner when he is teamed up with an average secondary. He can thank the Seahawks D for getting him paid.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Max a lot and I know he is going to get his $.
Sherm shuts down his side of the field so Max gets challenged regularly. He gives up very few TD's, is a solid tackler, causes fumbles, and is adept at collecting INTs.
If the Eagles sign him, he needs to make them pay because the Eagle offense consumes only moments off the game clock before the D has to return to the field. In our game last year in Philly, Seattle had TOP for 42+ minutes. Their D was gassed big time.
Whoever gets Max, if they play a cover 3 D they will be very happy with the signing.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maxwell is a pretty talented guy ... definitely and upgrade if the Eagles land him...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maxwell is a pretty talented guy ... definitely and upgrade if the Eagles land him...

Agree it is an upgrade. It's not worth $10M+ per year for that upgrade, that's the whole point.

If I was an Eagles fan I'd be PISSED at this point considering the stupid Alonso trade, Maxwell and Mariota rumors.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is one HUGE difference. The Eagles don't have Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas in the secondary. Maxwell excelled in the best secondary in the NFL, maybe even of all time. There is no guarantee he will be more than an average to above average corner when he is teamed up with an average secondary. He can thank the Seahawks D for getting him paid.

True too a point... But Max was targeted a lot because teams felt he was a weakness early on, but he proved pretty quickly he was far from a weakness... Max is one of the top CB's rated in free agency .... While he did benefit from a talented cover group around him, he more than proved he can hold his own ...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree it is an upgrade. It's not worth $10M+ per year for that upgrade, that's the whole point.

If I was an Eagles fan I'd be PISSED at this point considering the stupid Alonso trade, Maxwell and Mariota rumors.

Yeah 10 mil would be a little steep

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maxwell was challenged a lot since Sherman was on the other side & all Maxwell did was end drives. I think he is highly underrated around here. Don't know about worth of dollar amounts, but skill on the field, he is much better than being given credit for. The Cowboys cant afford him, but I definitely don't want him in the NFC East.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the end of last year, I told my fellow football chums (the ones I get to hang with in person) Max will get $7-8M a year and we will probably lose him, which a dread.
Now, I believe the $7-8M might be a little light.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$10M is way too much for Maxwell. He's a bit injury prone and plays in a lights out defense pass rush and secondary wise. He rarely has to cover anything within 10 yards LOS because Irvin turned out to transition to pass defense much better than any scout/analyst projected.

His interceptions come from the pass rush and he's not a 'make a play' type of corner like Sherman/Revis.

THAT ALL SAID, I think he's a decent corner and I'd love Seattle to resign him (for cheap), but paying $10M+ for a 'decent corner' is absolutely absurd. I'd love a team in the NFC to pay that much for him, because it doesn't improve the team THAT much and it wastes cap $.

And I dunno what it is about the Eagles, but EVERY year these guys are routinely paper champs. They sign Maxwell (meh) for way too much, trade for Kiko Alsonso (who had ONE good season with a STACKED - best in league front 4, coming off an ACL. Yet I've heard people on this forum say he's one of THE BEST defenders in the league, WTF?!), and do some dumbass blockbuster trade (forecasting) for Mariota, and suddenly they are favorites to win the Super Bowl.

I just don't get it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I dunno what it is about the Eagles, but EVERY year these guys are routinely paper champs.
Huhh? When were the Eagles ever paper champs or favored to go to the SB? Way back in 2011 Andy Reid was near the end of his rope and brought in a bunch of FA hoping to do something big out of desperation. Since then they havent been major players in FA at all. What are you talking about?

trade for Kiko Alsonso (who had ONE good season )
Exactly, and he has only played one season. How could he have more then one good season if he has only played one season? THe one season he did play he just missed out on winning rookie of the year and made ESPN's top 100 players show.

dumbass blockbuster trade (forecasting) for Mariota, and suddenly they are favorites to win the Super Bowl.
I didnt know the Eagles did trade for Mariotta. When did that happen? And even if they did who said ANYTHING about the Eagles being favorites to win the Super Bowl. I have yet to see one Eagle fan say that. In fact, the majority seem to be saying the Eagles have way to many holes to trade away all the picks to get Mariotta. I think you made all of this up in your mind and I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Did I miss the thread that had all the Eagles fans saying, "We're going to the Super Bowl cause we got Kiko Alonso. Extremely weird post dude, do you live in fantasy land?