• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nolan Ryan To Retire As Rangers CEO

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think you are wrong as wrong can be, BUT that must be just me giving Nolan too much credit cause according to me, it's all JD. That should surely show itself since Nolan is no longer around to slow JD down.....least according to your informed opinions on such matters.

Some of us watched since 72 and I find it funny YOU knew we would win with or without Nolan. :suds:

Obviously I am not saying it's 100% set in stone but I do believe this team would have been successful. Informed opinions or not it's an opinion I just have. I like Nolan. It was a warm fuzzy feeling having him and Ruth sit together on the first base line. But personally I think this organization has finally outgrown the need to have a that figure head.

And just because you've watched them since 72 doesn't mean anyone's opinion is less worthy than yours. I think we're all good baseball fans and we all have our opinions. Everything I've stated has been my personal belief. Tho in the end I don't think we'll ever know what the real story was the past couple of years between Nolan and JD.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I poo pooing Nolan? I simply stated that Nolan brought some things to the table when he arrived in 2008 but the foundation for success was already in place with JD's work. The day to day critical baseball operations were mostly JD and company. I don't doubt Nolan brought his wisdom and thoughts but I personally think fans are giving Nolan way too much credit. He deserves some but I believe they would have still done the same things after 2008 with or without Nolan because the foundation was built long before Nolan arrived.
It's not worth arguing when someone believes Nolan is a mythical figure that magically made Texas better because of his presence. Nolan's biggest contributions to the club were hiring Mike Maddux, not firing JD when he took over, bringing in the new ownership group, and helping facilitate back to back years of 3 million fans. Those are four very valuable things to the club.

It's not selling him to short to say the work was already in place before he arrived.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not worth arguing when someone believes Nolan is a mythical figure that magically made Texas better because of his presence. Nolan's biggest contributions to the club were hiring Mike Maddux, not firing JD when he took over, bringing in the new ownership group, and helping facilitate back to back years of 3 million fans. Those are four very valuable things to the club.

It's not selling him to short to say the work was already in place before he arrived.

Agree wholeheartedly and you pretty much said what I've been trying to say the whole time. Thank you.

As I said Nolan brought some things in the table that are not to be minimized but I'll never proclaim him any kind of mythical figure that is a savior for this franchise and fan base.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree wholeheartedly and you pretty much said what I've been trying to say the whole time. Thank you.

As I said Nolan brought some things in the table that are not to be minimized but I'll never proclaim him any kind of mythical figure that is a savior for this franchise and fan base.
I love Nolan and JD equally. I began to be disillusioned with Nolan though when after their first year of real success they canned Josh Lewin. That hurt me a great deal as a fan. I spent the latter part of my formative years going to him for baseball talk.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is low key and quiet, however I think he has a an ego and not necessarily to fault. One can have an ego without being egotistical or ego-maniacal in my opinion. I think most people that are successful have ego and tend to value themselves more than others at times and that is what drives some people. I would consider myself to have ego warranted or not by others opinions it makes no difference to me. It could be bad but in JD's case I just think it's what drives him to a degree.
Here is a quote from Mark Cuban that I agree with, but it's just his opinion on the matter.
“Jon Daniels is smart," Cuban said. "And Jon Daniels isn’t out for Jon Daniels. I’ve talked to Jon a few times and the sense I always get is he’s dedicated. It’s not ego driven and if you have somebody like that, he’ll adjust to do what’s best for the organization. I’m sure he’s upset that Nolan’s leaving, too. But I don’t know. I’m a Rangers’ fan and I think they’re in good hands with Jon.”

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"someone believes Nolan is a mythical figure that magically made Texas better because of his presence"

who said that here? That's funny in itself and all because I questioned the statement the rangers woulda done everything they did without Nolan. You Sir remain lost with an agenda.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surpised Nolan finished the season with the rangers. Thought he would walk earlier in the year.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing Nolan did was help bring the ownership group together that currently exists now. I wish him luck, but this team's success had very little to do with him moving forward from here anyways.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a quote from Mark Cuban that I agree with, but it's just his opinion on the matter.
“Jon Daniels is smart," Cuban said. "And Jon Daniels isn’t out for Jon Daniels. I’ve talked to Jon a few times and the sense I always get is he’s dedicated. It’s not ego driven and if you have somebody like that, he’ll adjust to do what’s best for the organization. I’m sure he’s upset that Nolan’s leaving, too. But I don’t know. I’m a Rangers’ fan and I think they’re in good hands with Jon.”

I think JD is a solid guy and he is from the old school where he knows he gets paid to do his job, which is to acquire the talent to put the team in position to win not only the division but a WS. There is something to be said for a person dedicated to achieve the results they are paid to achieve and now there are no excuses for that not to happen. No one is standing in his way or holding him back from acquiring the talent and players he seeks to make that happen. I am fairly certain the organization will not regress and will move forward w JD making the calls.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I am fairly certain the organization will not regress and will move forward w JD making the calls"

as a ranger fan, I certainly hope so.....just not as slam dunk sure as some here