• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes new franchise

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not long enough...

Seriously, Thanks for the travel time information. At different times there have been media reports stating difficulty in getting to games. Also a year or so ago someone here detailed difficulties in getting to games and I had no reason to disbelieve them. Perhaps they were coming from farther away or something.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie Mitchell in the cesspool saying it doesnt matter how good a team does on the ice when the franchise has "sold out for a cheap building location"

:whistle:

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, Thanks for the travel time information. At different times there have been media reports stating difficulty in getting to games. Also a year or so ago someone here detailed difficulties in getting to games and I had no reason to disbelieve them. Perhaps they were coming from farther away or something.

Game times in AZ are usually 7pm-ish during the week for all sports. For most people, rush hour traffic has died down to a steady drive by 6 pm. The Phoenix metro freeway system is pretty conveniently setup. With the arena being right off the freeway, unless you live in the far south-east valley, the drive by freeway shouldn't take you more than 30-45 mins. I don't hear people complaining about the drive to watch the Cardinals, or see them having trouble filling the stadium, even though the stadium is right next to the hockey arena.

Here is a freeway map. The arena is located next to the loop 101 about even with the G in Glendale. It's also where the Big Toaster, home of the Cardinals, is located. The little box area of freeways on the map north of the word 'Phoenix' is where the Dbacks ballpark & Suns Arena is.

valley-sun-map-760.gif

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI, I live in north Glendale above the loop 101 & my brother lives in Chandler. It takes me 30 minutes to make that drive. With heavy traffic, 45 mins. So I could see the drive to the arena for someone from the east valley taking about an hour, maybe a little more. But for everyone else, 30-45 minutes or less.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy the "waaaaaah, don't want to drive so far" argument. It's not like the people of Phoenix are being asked to drive to Pueblo New Mexico. The arena is in a suburb of Phoenix. Same with Miami. If it's "too hard" to go half an hour, then you simply don't give enough fucks about hockey. The locals go for football, the stadium is across the parking lot from the Gila Monster Jobing place.

I used drive 45 minutes through back roads to go see AHL hockey in Hershey. Whether I chose to go see the Flyers or Caps, I was in for 2 hours travel time. And I still did it 15 times a year. These people have to go half an hour and it's too much.

No pity from me. None.
I can only speak for myself. I am an avid hockey fan I would loved to catch 20+ Yotes games a year.

But let's be realistic. This isn't Canada where hockey is #1. I lived 15 min from downtown (not during rush hour). For me to get to the Coyotes stadium I have to hop on the 101 and takea 45min to 1 hour drive to get to the stadium. Imagine a work week. I have work the next day, the game ends at 8 or 9 and I still have a hour
back home.

You really expect anyone wants to make that drive 2-3 times a week?

Let's take the Arizona Cardinals for example whose stadium is right next to Jobbing.com/Gila. They sell out games but that is ONCE and a week on a SUNDAY.

It's just unrealistic for folks to dirve out there for 40 games.

The biggest youth hockey rink is located here in scottsdale. The other big ones are in Arcadia (close to Scottsdale/Phx) and Chandler.

It's not a hockey town but with a good team and accesable location it would pick up because of the transplants we have her (myself included)

Im not asking for your pity or anyone else's. I love having hockey in the desert but would understand if they had to move. But let's not try to act like they didn't fuck up the stadium location.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glendal is nowhere near "off the grid" relative to Phoenix.

Kanata on the other hand...:peep:

The problem is that there just arent enough hockey fans in AZ. Period. The drive time is not a valid reason in this case. It is an excuse that is covering up the real truth.

FWIW, I spent a week there in April. I asked 10 people about the Coyotes and hockey. Only one said they have been to a game, and he was a BOS transplant.
I think that's a great point to possibly keep them though. There are so many transplants here that LOVE hockey. If they could fix the clusterfuck organization and finally put out a good team like the Roenick, Ktachuk, Wall days then I there are more than enough hockey fans to attend games
but from Scottsdale where that cake is? what an hours drive???
Give or take

With traffic it is a nightmare

And with the way the highways are set up it's not a straight shot to the rink, it's a loop (at least from where I come from)
30 mins at most.
That's simply not true. 45min with no traffic. Closer to 60 on most days

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give or take

With traffic it is a nightmare

And with the way the highways are set up it's not a stright shot to the rink, it's a loop (at least from where I come from)

now Im a confused doof lol

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game times in AZ are usually 7pm-ish during the week for all sports. For most people, rush hour traffic has died down to a steady drive by 6 pm. The Phoenix metro freeway system is pretty conveniently setup. With the arena being right off the freeway, unless you live in the far south-east valley, the drive by freeway shouldn't take you more than 30-45 mins. I don't hear people complaining about the drive to watch the Cardinals, or see them having trouble filling the stadium, even though the stadium is right next to the hockey arena.

Here is a freeway map. The arena is located next to the loop 101 about even with the G in Glendale. It's also where the Big Toaster, home of the Cardinals, is located. The little box area of freeways on the map north of the word 'Phoenix' is where the Dbacks ballpark & Suns Arena is.
Cardinals play once a week on a Sunday (usually afternoon)

Yotes play multiple weekdays at night. Think about jobs, school, ect the next day.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be interesting t see what happens here. Can't see the Coyotes staying in Arizona now though.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yotes play multiple weekdays at night. Think about jobs, school, ect the next day.

I know what you mean. For years the only games I have gone to are weekend games.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Arizona Coyotes were granted a temporary restraining order that prevents the city of Glendale for the time being from ending its arena management contract with the NHL team.

In a hearing held Friday afternoon in Arizona Supreme Court, team officials argued that “harm to the team is worsening every day.”

Glendale’s lawyer said the city was willing to accept the temporary restraining order, which legal experts described as routine.

“You march in and get it almost immediately then the court says we’ll have an interim hearing within a fairly short timeframe at which time we’ll have more opportunity to look at the background,” said Bob Bartels, a professor of law at Arizona State University. “They take some evidence, file briefs and you don’t do a lot of discovery, but even at the hearing for a preliminary injunction, nothing is a final decision.”

Coyotes win temporary restraining order - Article - TSN

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this answers the question of why he wasnt front and center last week when all this shit with the city was going down

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But that's not a Phoenix only problem. Yet this and Florida (Miami) are the only places where it is used as a reason to explain poor attendance.

People I work with will frequently drive for Indians or Reds games and that's ~ two hours each way. They get here the next day. Tired perhaps, but here.

The bottom line isn't that the arena is in a terrible location or that there are no true hockey fans (because you can argue either point either way). The issue is there isn't enough people buying any tickets (businesses included) to make the team viable. For every hardcore fan who chooses to watch at home, there needs to be one who is in the arena. And Phoenix and Miami just don't have that. Nothing wrong with giving other cities a chance to prove they can do it.

They can put an AHL team in the downtown arena. And if it gets support, then there will be expansion someday. There are a lot of discussions that people will suddenly show up if the arena is downtown. So they can show up for an AHL team.

Columbus got a team because they sold the hell out of a crappy 1920's arena with 5,000 seats for an ECHL team.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's not a Phoenix only problem. Yet this and Florida (Miami) are the only places where it is used as a reason to explain poor attendance.

People I work with will frequently drive for Indians or Reds games and that's ~ two hours each way. They get here the next day. Tired perhaps, but here.

The bottom line isn't that the arena is in a terrible location or that there are no true hockey fans (because you can argue either point either way). The issue is there isn't enough people buying any tickets (businesses included) to make the team viable. For every hardcore fan who chooses to watch at home, there needs to be one who is in the arena. And Phoenix and Miami just don't have that. Nothing wrong with giving other cities a chance to prove they can do it.

They can put an AHL team in the downtown arena. And if it gets support, then there will be expansion someday. There are a lot of discussions that people will suddenly show up if the arena is downtown. So they can show up for an AHL team.

Columbus got a team because they sold the hell out of a crappy 1920's arena with 5,000 seats for an ECHL team.
Im not saying the Yotes should stay. But move the team wherever you like. If it's mismanaged and run shitty like it is now they won't succede in another city either.

Get a good product on the ice and an actual owner and they have a shot to actually sell tickets.

People here aren't buying season tickets when the fate of the team has been up in the air for years now.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The teams have sucked for the huge majority of their existences, how can you blame fans for not showing up? At least there's competent management in one of those two places that have a chance to build a good team for once

If I kept trying to sell you a shitty product when I'm a no-namer, would you buy it? Nope - it's the same thing here, those teams had/have been selling shitty products for years and people think the fans are supposed to buy it - fans aren't wasting their time when the team has sucked for years

Also, there probably aren't many true hockey fans because they don't end up having an emotional attachment to that team(Panthers and Coyotes) because those teams aren't winning - when the teams start winning, fans will start to warm to them and have an emotional attachment and eventually they're start becoming true hockey fans - everyone has to start somewhere

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The teams have sucked for the huge majority of their existences, how can you blame fans for not showing up? At least there's competent management in one of those two places that have a chance to build a good team for once

If I kept trying to sell you a shitty product when I'm a no-namer, would you buy it? Nope - it's the same thing here, those teams had/have been selling shitty products for years and people think the fans are supposed to buy it - fans aren't wasting their time when the team has sucked for years

Also, there probably aren't many true hockey fans because they don't end up having an emotional attachment to that team(Panthers and Coyotes) because those teams aren't winning - when the teams start winning, fans will start to warm to them and have an emotional attachment and eventually they're start becoming true hockey fans - everyone has to start somewhere
You do realize you said this to a Columbus Blue Jackets fan, right?