• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NJ Devils 2014 Draft selections

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yay or nay?

1 John Quenneville C CAN 6' 0" 182 WHL BRANDON
2 Joshua Jacobs D USA 6' 1" 193 USHL INDIANA
3 Connor Chatham R USA 6' 2" 222 OHL PLYMOUTH
5 Ryan Rehill D CAN 6' 2" 210 WHL KAMLOOPS
6 Joey Dudek C USA 5' 11" 180 HIGH-NH KIMBALL UNION
6 Brandon Baddock L CAN 6' 3" 205 WHL EDMONTON

I really gained some last minute loving/fanfare for that Ho Sang kid... mad that we just missed him but whatever.

Uhm... unfortunately I couldn't watch the entire draft(I was watching til the 5th pick n had to leave & I couldn't find the next day draft channel for some reason)

With that said, the Quenneville pick seems good, very young and room to grow. I'm fine with this and there's really not much I can say. I'm sure we won't see him anytime soon unless I missed something.

What a surprise, defense in the 2nd... I luv'd the Santini pick instantly last yr but i'm more of the meh with Jacobs.. could be good, its just that he'll be in line of a whole group of young crow. From what I understand there were some offensive gems we could've taken instead...

so yay or nay on this draft?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i'm not big on the quienville kid. this was a "free" pick that the devils shouldn't have had. it seems like they played it safe with this kid. i doubt he will do anything more then a 3rd line center. i know people are comparing him to henrique. who's only been in the nhl for 2 years! i much rather them take a guy that had some legit upside even if it meant a longer period for them to develop.

the jacobs pick i didn't understand you had 2 picks almost back to back and you go with defense? thats the last thing we need. i know you want to get the best player at the time but if thats a goalie i dont see us taking a goalie there.

the last pick is really bothering me and yes i know its a 6th round pick. all he seems to be is a goon. i think he had 8 points last season? come on! hell he was even passed over in last years draft! do we really need to waste what little picks we have on a cam jansen replacement? i mean we do know the game is getting away from that right.

listen this is all a crapshoot i get that but still some questionable moves. going by their past history on picks i will side on these NOT being good picks.

the real question should beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

would you take mattuea over kevin fiala or anyone else drafted after him at 11.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would you take mattuea over kevin fiala or anyone else drafted after him at 11.

Taking anyone else or any trade would've been better for this franchise than Matteau. That's not to be a particular sly at Matteau as a player but in the situation that the draft pick should've been forfeited...

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Joey Dudek, long shot, but probably the most offensive skill out of our picks.
I do give credit on that pick. 6th round, you take a chance on somebody with pure skill.
Seems to be hell of a passer.

Jacobs is a defenseman, but an excellent skater with good offense. Yes, they passed on forwards, but at least you draft a offensive minded forward who is fast. Something this team does need as I think overall, the team is slow.

Agree on drafting a goon. No longer needed in today's hockey.

Most fans aren't too pleased with the draft. Recent drafts have not been that great so can't blame them.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I say nay.

I agree with Cup about Quenneville. I don't have high expectations for him. I also don't see the similarity to Henrique, I actually think its the opposite. It feels like a Pete pick - slow grinder that puts 100% effort every shift. He'll atleast fit right in on these Devils.

I have the highest hopes on Dudek to be honest. His main negatives are about him needing to bulk up, yet he had an NFL pro father so I believe he'll be able to.

I don't seen any Merrill/Severson/Santini pick that was a no-brainer BPA

I'm also disappointed they were not able to find another Bell or Black. I'm high on those late bloomers with tons of skill that got overlooked due to personal issues.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chatham and Rehill are the two that intrique me. Cant say I know much (or any) about either but 6-2 222 is good size and Dmen from Kamloops always excite me.

Would've taken Lemieux over Quennville and either Ryan MacInnis or Hunter Smith over Jacobs.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could you possibly judge the draft already? Let's revisit this in 5 years to get a real evaluation.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Devils have never picked what is expected, as far back as I can remember. Most of us read whats on the internet to get information on the draft, and who should go where, etc.
Regarding scouting, the Devils always did their own thing.

I think the last time I knew who would be picked before the Devils announced it was Adam Larsson.
Once he dropped to number 4, there was no way the team would pass on a guy that was rated as going number 1 by most.

KingOfNJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hahahaha, sounds like they passed on some guys with high upside for mediocre NHL talent.

How long has Conte and his staff worked for this team? Sounds like they should have got the boot by now.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if not taking Claude's son will haunt this franchise?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it means nothing right now. Hedman and Larsson were supposed to be Lidstrom 2.0 according to all these draft experts and scouts. Wasn't Martin St. Louis undrafted? Many other teams also passed on these high potential guys. I'm sure they know something we don't. Let's not pretend we're experts on this matter, we're all talking out of our ass at the moment. Let's check back here down the road.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Again, it means nothing right now. Hedman and Larsson were supposed to be Lidstrom 2.0 according to all these draft experts and scouts. Wasn't Martin St. Louis undrafted? Many other teams also passed on these high potential guys. I'm sure they know something we don't. Let's not pretend we're experts on this matter, we're all talking out of our ass at the moment. Let's check back here down the road.

yes its too early to tell but if not for speculation there would be no fan msg boards so thats why we talk about it.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSN gives us an A....ESPN a C so if the so called experts cant agree I guess our opinions are as good as anyone's.

If Dick Button at TSN is 80% right it was a steal at 30th....if not.......

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I luv me some Santini...

Once I saw the guy after the devils drafted him, I was instantly impressed and stoic about him...