• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners throwing money at their undrafted CB

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have to admit I'm not a fan of the move. But at least it wasn't Terrell Brown who got the extension.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF's obvious plan is to keep committing most of it's capital to it's lines and the D front 7. Ried was a nice get, but he's not a longterm FS. He gets burned in deep pass coverage all the time. Put at SS in the long run.

Hunt in the later rounds for CBs. That's a fairly big chunk of cap to commit to a unproven CB, but SF obviously sees something that can be developed at an accelerated pace.

It's not a terrible strategy since the NFC West like to run the ball a lot. But it does create big matchup problems when facing teams that will pass 60+% of the time.

Their most critical need this offseason is WR corps. Crabs is a big time question mark with that blownout AH. Many are never the same and he accounts for way too many of Kraperdicks comp %.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
SF's obvious plan is to keep committing most of it's capital to it's lines and the D front 7. Ried was a nice get, but he's not a longterm FS. He gets burned in deep pass coverage all the time.

Wait what??? :scratch: On what planet does Reid get burned in coverage "all the time?" I can't think of more than a couple of few plays all season where he even gave up a completion to the guy he was covering. The dude's a stud in both coverage and run support. I think you're going off of erroneous scouting from college Reid has thoroughly disproven.

Their most critical need this offseason is WR corps. Crabs is a big time question mark with that blownout AH. Many are never the same and he accounts for way too many of Kraperdicks comp %.

Well at least you got that part right.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Reid is a player, but this early in his career he looks to be injury/concussion prone. Am I correct?
Additionally, he has played surprisingly well at FS, but I think he is more natural at SS. Just my opinion.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think Reid is a player, but this early in his career he looks to be injury/concussion prone. Am I correct?
Additionally, he has played surprisingly well at FS, but I think he is more natural at SS. Just my opinion.

I agree that he would do well at SS, but SS & FS in Vic Fangio's defense are pretty much interchangeable.

As far as the concussions so, the 2nd one he got was when he stopped a 250 pound 'back running at full speed dead in his tracks. That was one hell of an impact. That might pose problems down the road, but it might just be the fact that he ran full speed into an 18 wheeler.

I don't remember Eric Reid having any injury problems in college.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a bit much but the guy has shown to be a bit of a ball hawk with the opportunities that he was given. He's solid, not spectacular, and with the likely overhaul of the secondary this off-season, he can remain a fixture as our NB or possibly make a run as a starting CB. With as many 3+ WR sets that NFL teams run nowadays, the NB is almost a de facto starter in terms of snaps. I envision Rogers cut, Brown to either sign a cap friendly deal or walk, and Eric Wright who I think has a team option that they will likely pick up as it is cheap. Leaving Brock and Culliver coming off an ACL tear to pair with Wright.

I anticipate that we will re-sign Whitner (not a big fan of his), draft 1-2 CB in the first three rounds where we have 5 picks and draft a late round SS to apprentice Whitner.

And Eric Reid has made it a point with his play to make a mockery of his scouting report coming out of LSU. The guy has been lights out (no pun intended) in both run support and pass coverage as long as he's healthy. Whoever said he is getting burned has obviously not watched much of him this year. Like Sick said, I can barely recall receptions he has given up at all let alone giving up the deep ball.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Eric Reid has made it a point with his play to make a mockery of his scouting report coming out of LSU. The guy has been lights out (no pun intended) in both run support and pass coverage as long as he's healthy. Whoever said he is getting burned has obviously not watched much of him this year. Like Sick said, I can barely recall receptions he has given up at all let alone giving up the deep ball.

Reid has been very good but he's surprisingly missed quite a few tackles. If you'd like a reference, I'll get one from Pro Football Focus next week or you can wander over to that site and educate yourself.

:yahoo:

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid has been very good but he's surprisingly missed quite a few tackles. If you'd like a reference, I'll get one from Pro Football Focus next week or you can wander over to that site and educate yourself.

:yahoo:

you mean the guy who is just outside their top 10 rookie of the year rankings?