• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Saban blocking transfers

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem on this topic has nothing to do with Saban. I don't understand (well, I do - but I think it is a BS reason) why people who have finished a degree are not completely unrestricted free agents. The rules are set up to protect the coaches - which is how you know it is bullshit. Players who actually finish a degree have earned the right to have leeway, and granting them the unrestricted opportunity to find a new school (so long as they enroll in a graduate program) is the right thing to do.

Alabama has spent the past 3 years training and coaching this guy. Tons of resources have been spent on the kid, and he gets playing time. It's not a case where the guy was going to sit on the bench all year long and we are just not allowing him to play. He's doing it right before the season begins and is screwing the team over. All spring he took reps away from guys who could have been practicing with the 1st team, took coaching time away from others, etc.

And btw, he asked for a transfer before he even graduated. I think he only graduated last weekend.

He's wanting to follow 2 coaches to Georgia. Kirby and Mel Tucker - who Kirby stole from us. If kids are allowed to transfer like this every time a coach leaves, it's setting up bad habits. Are we going to lose part of our offense if Kiffin leaves? Is Saban supposed to allow all these kids who have had resources put into them leave because a coach changes jobs?

And he's being allowed to go to any school other than SEC schools. But this isn't about education or anything else for him, it's strictly about trying to follow Kirby Smart and Mel Tucker. It's the same reason Kirby didn't allow that kid to transfer to Miami.

The majority of time they are allowed to transfer however they want and the majority of time the kids transfer because they will get playing time elsewhere. This is a completely different case.

If a kid isn't going to play and wants to go somewhere he will get to play, or if they even have a legitimate academic reason to change schools I'd 100% support letting them go most anywhere.

But there have to be some protections for the schools who devote the time and resources for them. This whole thing has been nothing but a kid and people who think they are entitled to things they are not.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The majority of time they are allowed to transfer however they want and the majority of time the kids transfer because they will get playing time elsewhere. This is a completely different case.
My comment had nothing to do with this case. I was making a general point. Graduate transfers are treated the same as students who have signed a letter of intent (LOI). And while I support the LOI rules, because disrupting ones undergraduate studies by pursuing a transfer is a very serious thing, the same logic does not apply to someone who has completed a degree. So the only place protections are being applied are to the coaches ans institutions.

But there have to be some protections for the schools who devote the time and resources for them.
I disagree. The institutions will be just fine regardless of who is playing for them. You yourself have made that very argument when it comes to jersey sales. The schools themselves already have more than enough protections. At some point, we need to recognize that a student has met all reasonable obligations to a school - and that point should be graduation.

This whole thing has been nothing but a kid and people who think they are entitled to things they are not.
Again, I see it as the institutions exercising an unsubstantiated sense of entitlement. Colleges and Universities are supposed to be there for the students - not the other way around.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comment had nothing to do with this case. I was making a general point. Graduate transfers are treated the same as students who have signed a letter of intent (LOI). And while I support the LOI rules, because disrupting ones undergraduate studies by pursuing a transfer is a very serious thing, the same logic does not apply to someone who has completed a degree. So the only place protections are being applied are to the coaches ans institutions.

I disagree. The institutions will be just fine regardless of who is playing for them. You yourself have made that very argument when it comes to jersey sales. The schools themselves already have more than enough protections. At some point, we need to recognize that a student has met all reasonable obligations to a school - and that point should be graduation.

Again, I see it as the institutions exercising an unsubstantiated sense of entitlement. Colleges and Universities are supposed to be there for the students - not the other way around.

If they don't like it, they can take their asses elsewhere and pay for their own education/coaching or whatever.

The notion that these kids are being treated poorly is just straight bullshit.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The notion that these kids are being treated poorly is just straight bullshit.
While I agree that scholarship players have it pretty good, the notion that the schools are being exploited, is simply absurd.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that scholarship players have it pretty good, the notion that the schools are being exploited, is simply absurd.

They aren't being exploited only because they protect themselves. If it was allowed then they would.

Meanwhile, the players are making a decision under these terms to join and they aren't getting screwed over either. They also have many protections in place.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't being exploited only because they protect themselves. If it was allowed then they would.
The day a University feels ill used because of the ramifications of graduating a student is the day we all just need to give up. Most schools point to graduation rate as a point of pride (and with good reason.)

I'm afraid we simply disagree on this point.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The day a University feels ill used because of the ramifications of graduating a student is the day we all just need to give up. Most schools point to graduation rate as a point of pride (and with good reason.)

I'm afraid we simply disagree on this point.

Odd because the rules you want would pretty much make schools less inclined to do such things, as apparently graduating a guy earlier means he can spend all the training and resources you've spent on him elsewhere.

In this case, Maurice was unable to offer academic reasons for wanting the transfer. It was purely football motivated.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Bama fans talking about training and resources spent on recruits and then the players going elsewhere, while also harping about scholarships being 1 year and the coaching staff can cut them any time they want. :pound:

So, it is perfectly fine if the coach wants to cut a player, but if a player wants to go elsewhere, then they are wasting the schools time and resources?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Bama fans talking about training and resources spent on recruits and then the players going elsewhere, while also harping about scholarships being 1 year and the coaching staff can cut them any time they want. :pound:

So, it is perfectly fine if the coach wants to cut a player, but if a player wants to go elsewhere, then they are wasting the schools time and resources?

Who got cut? I'm in favor of it(although I would like to see them be able to stay on scholarship with the same terms), but it doesn't actually happen unless it's 5th year seniors who already graduated.

And yes it should be the way for the same reasons welfare sucks - you have to compete and earn your way.

Anyone who gets an academic scholarship must perform otherwise they have their scholarships revoked. Why aren't those considered evil when the kids don't meet the required standard?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait.... people are still whining about this?

I'll be damned. I would've already had a backup LB beat Maurice's ass live on Finebaum if I were Saban.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait.... people are still whining about this?

I'll be damned. I would've already had a backup LB beat Maurice's ass live on Finebaum if I were Saban.

Finebaum was going on about it today. I only watched about 2 minutes before changing over to ESPNU. Had some caller on and they were just going on and on about Saban.

Milking the shit outta it.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finebaum was going on about it today. I only watched about 2 minutes before changing over to ESPNU. Had some caller on and they were just going on and on about Saban.

Milking the shit outta it.
Nothing CFB related will get jimmies rustled and/or clicks like anything Saban or Bama related.

And it's fucking wonderful. I do not look forward to going back to being a run of the mill team that nobody gives a fuck about again.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd because the rules you want would pretty much make schools less inclined to do such things, as apparently graduating a guy earlier means he can spend all the training and resources you've spent on him elsewhere.
On the academic side, we consider that a success. Perhaps you don't understand how college works?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the academic side, we consider that a success. Perhaps you don't understand how college works?

And currently the football staff have every incentive to make it happen as soon as possible. So why are you trying to change that?

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And currently the football staff have every incentive to make it happen as soon as possible.
First off, I disagree with your premise. If the college coaching staffs across the country wanted to encourage student athletes to benefit from early graduation, the rules would be quite different than they are now. As it is, we have seen numerous coaches do battle to attempt to eliminate the possibility that student-athletes who complete their degrees can transfer. (See all of the bitching that occurred at Eastern Washington when Vernon Adams decided to transfer to Oregon as one recent example.) The logic is always based on the ridiculous premise that the players "owe" the university for the training/coaching/whatever they receive while enrolled. The problem is what I said before - the Universities are there for the students - not the other way around. Any argument that goes against that is antithetical to the basic mission of the university.

So why are you trying to change that?
Because what you said is wrong. The current state of affairs favor the coaches - not the student athletes.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I disagree with your premise. If the college coaching staffs across the country wanted to encourage student athletes to benefit from early graduation, the rules would be quite different than they are now. As it is, we have seen numerous coaches do battle to attempt to eliminate the possibility that student-athletes who complete their degrees can transfer. (See all of the bitching that occurred at Eastern Washington when Vernon Adams decided to transfer to Oregon as one recent example.) The logic is always based on the ridiculous premise that the players "owe" the university for the training/coaching/whatever they receive while enrolled. The problem is what I said before - the Universities are there for the students - not the other way around. Any argument that goes against that is antithetical to the basic mission of the university.

Because what you said is wrong. The current state of affairs favor the coaches - not the student athletes.

So you expect the coaches to be like - hey, graduate early so you can transfer out of here if the rule changed?

VHFVT.gif

SeeYouNT

Вы хотели бы некоторые Путина?
Hoopla Cash
$ 291.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not reading through all of the bullshit in this thread, but coaches blocking a transfer to a conference foe is pretty damn common.

to the OP: Pete Carroll was well known for blocking these types of transfers. But the coach can be overruled by the school...

Last edited:

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you expect the coaches to be like - hey, graduate early so you can transfer out of here if the rule changed?
Expect is the wrong word. I expect coaches to do what is in their best interest (because I am very cynical.) That doesn't mean I condone it.

But one thing of which I am absolutely certain - any rule that when applied discourages a student from graduating is (pardon my french) fucked up beyond all recognition.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expect is the wrong word. I expect coaches to do what is in their best interest (because I am very cynical.) That doesn't mean I condone it.

But one thing of which I am absolutely certain - any rule that when applied discourages a student from graduating is (pardon my french) fucked up beyond all recognition.

I don't see how someone who claims to only care about academics all the time can at the same time promote what is basically equivalent to free agency.