• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL's 2nd year breakout candidates - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater among second-year players ready to break out - NFL
By Field Yates

It is often said that the offseason between an NFL player's rookie and second campaigns can provide the most room for growth. Players have a full offseason to work through, an understanding of the playbook and their surroundings, plus some NFL experience to size up how to approach their time away from game action and improve.

We saw Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell ascend from productive rookie to sophomore megastar, some of which can be attributed to his offseason before the start of 2014 during which he maintained a weight in the 220s, some 20 pounds lighter than when he was drafted.

With development in mind, below is a look at eight sophomores who profile as breakout candidates for the 2015 season.

1. Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater

"He's very poised and never gets rattled," said one NFL coach of Bridgewater. "He has enough mobility to avoid pressure in the pocket." The Vikings put on a clinic insofar as how to groom and develop a quarterback in his rookie season. Matt Cassel began the season as the starter, providing Bridgewater time to grow and alleviating any pressure on meeting expectations immediately. After Cassel injured his foot, Bridgewater stepped into a starting role and showed strides throughout the season.

2. 49ers running back Carlos Hyde

I previously wrote about Hyde as an in-house player primed to fill a hole created in free agency, as he's penciled in as the 49ers' starting back. Veteran Reggie Bush gives San Francisco a change-of-pace back, with Hyde offering some hammerhead power on first and second downs. The 49ers have their work cut out for them to account for personnel losses on defense this offseason, but Hyde and a ground-centric offense can lighten the load.

3. Rams running back Tre Mason

A crowded backfield in St. Louis eventually sorted itself out in 2014, as Mason emerged as the go-to player down the stretch, leading the team with 765 yards in 12 games played. "He has good vision and patience, good feet quickness and burst through the hole, good contact balance and will earn extra yards because of his toughness and keeping his feet moving until he is taken to the ground," said one NFL personnel man of Mason.

4. 49ers outside linebacker Aaron Lynch

One player whose development will be pivotal in getting that 49ers defense on track is Lynch, a 2014 fifth-round pick who slipped due to some character concerns. But the talent is apparent, and so was the production in abbreviated duty last year. He totaled six sacks in a part-time role. He's 6-foot-5, 270 pounds with natural rush skills and just turned 22. Watch out.

5. Browns offensive lineman Joel Bitonio

This might be selling Bitonio's rookie season short, as he was terrific for the Browns as an every-week starter at left guard. He's a unique prospect because he has the skills to play multiple positions along the offensive line -- he was a college left tackle at Nevada.

"He's a tough and gritty guard, plays with strong hands and feet allowing him to control opponents, plays with balance and body control," said a personnel man. "As a pass-blocker he has a plan and understands angles, his feet and hands work in unison to mirror/control opponents. He's also powerful enough to sit on a bull rush."

6. Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence

While it remains to be seen if new Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy will be suspended by the NFL, when he does make his Dallas debut the team will immediately have a venerable duo of rushers. Lawrence, the team's 2014 second-round pick, played in just seven regular-season games last year due to a foot injury. Athletic and explosive off the edge, Lawrence is a building block for the Dallas defense.

7. Jaguars wide receiver Allen Robinson

The Jaguars have a stable of young pass-catchers who are developing alongside quarterback Blake Bortles, and Robinson is a name to watch. In the final eight games of his 2014 season (before an injury cut it short), he totaled 72 targets. He's 6-2, 210 pounds and won't turn 22 until close to training camp.

8. Steelers defensive end Stephon Tuitt

Pittsburgh has had success finding players who left school a year early and developing them into reliable NFL standouts. Tuitt looks ready to be the next in line, though it won't necessarily be reflected in the stat sheet. As an end in Pittsburgh's 3-4 scheme, Tuitt's ability to control the point of attack and create space for others to operate is critically important.

Notes
• Where's Clowney? In some ways, there is a player who didn't even make the above list while also serving as the motivation for it. Texans outside linebackerJadeveon Clowney was a nonfactor due to injuries during his rookie season and is now recovering from microfracture surgery that may prevent him from being on the field at the outset of the 2015 regular season. On talent alone, Clowney remains the pre-eminent prospect from last year's class, but the microfracture surgery is a major procedure. At this time last year, we were discussing the possibility of Clowney as a franchise difference-maker. The trajectory of the Texans is decidedly positive right now, and a healthy return from Clowney would only escalate the excitement around that franchise.

• Getting paid for offseason workouts: Teams that hired a new coach this offseason are eligible to begin their offseason workout programs Monday, April 6, while the teams with incumbent coaches are eligible to begin those workouts April 20. Many NFL teams incorporate workout bonuses into players' contracts to incentivize them to take part in the program as opposed to training on their own elsewhere. Greg Hardy stands to earn the most in the NFL if he works out in the team program, as his bonus is worth $1,311,600. Jets offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and 49ers wide receiver Torrey Smith can earn $750,000, while 13 others can make $500,000.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney is done. Not only are their major motivation issues (with zero chance of being best defender on his team due to Watt) but he had knee microfracture surgery which is GG for anyone rocking decent poundage. The percentage to recover from microfracture is < 20% and given Clowney's motivation issues there's just no chance.

Clowney is done. Least my prediction. Never liked the pick as #1 but they had little choice. I actually liked Mack over Clowney for the Texans. And 'the hit' was the biggest joke in NCAA history. Clowney was completely unassigned and unblocked and hit a 5'6" 175 lb back who wasn't even close to being a draft pick. What a joke.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney is done. Not only are their major motivation issues (with zero chance of being best defender on his team due to Watt) but he had knee microfracture surgery which is GG for anyone rocking decent poundage. The percentage to recover from microfracture is < 20% and given Clowney's motivation issues there's just no chance.

Clowney is done. Least my prediction. Never liked the pick as #1 but they had little choice. I actually liked Mack over Clowney for the Texans. And 'the hit' was the biggest joke in NCAA history. Clowney was completely unassigned and unblocked and hit a 5'6" 175 lb back who wasn't even close to being a draft pick. What a joke.
The reason for micro-fracture surgery is important. The fact that he is not undergoing knee re-construction means to me that he is getting the surgery to relieve pain. If that is the case, he has an excellent chance at recovery.
If it is not for pain, I can't imagine an athlete choosing this procedure for a knee. He has previously said he was dealing with a lot of pain. I hope you are wrong and he makes a full recovery.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason for micro-fracture surgery is important. The fact that he is not undergoing knee re-construction means to me that he is getting the surgery to relieve pain. If that is the case, he has an excellent chance at recovery.
If it is not for pain, I can't imagine an athlete choosing this procedure for a knee. He has previously said he was dealing with a lot of pain. I hope you are wrong and he makes a full recovery.

Hope I'm wrong as well. Sad to see anyone's career derailed by an injury (whether sports or not). Just my prediction. Sometimes predictions can't all be rosy.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where he may end up but the Pack certainly is counting on Davante Adams to step up his game this season

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vikes should have two guys on there. Anthony Barr is going to be a monster LB sooner rather than later I think.

The kid was basically a DE in college and the Vikes asked him to play a 4-3 OLB right out of the gate. To my shock he was actually pretty good right away. Give him some more time to acclimate himself to the position and we could have the next Lance Briggs on our hands.

I'm WAY more confident that Barr is going to have a big 2nd year than I am that Teddy will. Teddy got better every game which was great to see. But there were still some times when he made a play that really had you questioning what he was going to be in the future. I'm still trying to figure out if fans are seeing what they want to see when they look at him....or if he really does have "it" and it just needs some time. Obviously I am way too biased to be certain about him at this point.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I am still a big Clowney believer. He might not show it this coming season coming off the surgery but IMO he will get back to being a force eventually.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bridgewater's going to become even better next year. Minnesota got a future stud on their hands with him.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Atlanta drafts a better RB it looks like Freeman will have a breakout year for Atlanta.