• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFLPA files complaint vs. Patriots for punishing Malcolm Butler

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams have rule. Even for voluntary workouts. Break the rules, take the discipline. The Patriots had the right to refuse him access to the stadium.

He booked the last possible flight, the flight got cancelled. Bad decision.

As I've previously stated......Belichick tells every rookie, free agent and anyone else when they sign their contract not to place themselves in jeporady of being late. Weather is not an excuse. Snow, rain, sleet, fog are all common in New England. He specifically tells players who leave the state to go home or travel fro business or pleasure not to book the last flight back. Butler didn't listen or chose to ignore the warning.

He didn't lose any money. He was forbidden from on field practice. What's the union's beef?

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The union cited Article 21 of the CBA, alleging the Patriots disciplined a player for missing a voluntary workout, which indicated the workouts were not voluntary, and, as the CBA states, an absence from a voluntary activity cannot result in "adverse consequences affecting his working conditions."

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams have rule. Even for voluntary workouts. Break the rules, take the discipline. The Patriots had the right to refuse him access to the stadium.

He booked the last possible flight, the flight got cancelled. Bad decision.

As I've previously stated......Belichick tells every rookie, free agent and anyone else when they sign their contract not to place themselves in jeporady of being late. Weather is not an excuse. Snow, rain, sleet, fog are all common in New England. He specifically tells players who leave the state to go home or travel fro business or pleasure not to book the last flight back. Butler didn't listen or chose to ignore the warning.

He didn't lose any money. He was forbidden from on field practice. What's the union's beef?

Rules state you can't do that.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and I can't stress enough the importance of the fact that we don't know the reason why he took that last flight. His reason probably lies somewhere between partying an extra day with friends and talking a good friend out of suicide. We just don't know enough to criticize the kid.

I like him and I hope this doesn't cause problems for him moving forward.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so stupid. It really is.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and I can't stress enough the importance of the fact that we don't know the reason why he took that last flight. His reason probably lies somewhere between partying an extra day with friends and talking a good friend out of suicide. We just don't know enough to criticize the kid.

I like him and I hope this doesn't cause problems for him moving forward.

I don't think it will. He was back in practice and looking good actually. Some more tough love on Bellichick's part.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB gets his hand slapped and everyone smiles and moves on. Personally I didn't agree with the punishment for being late to a voluntary workout.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Union filed without Butlers blessing, hopefully that bodes well for Butler moving foreward.

Union just doing their due diligence.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd thing is that everyone is bitching except Butler.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB gets his hand slapped and everyone smiles and moves on. Personally I didn't agree with the punishment for being late to a voluntary workout.

Totally agree. What people seem to be missing, is that it's voluntary. If it were mandatory.....I wouldn't have any issue with BB's disciplinary action. As I'm sure you many others wouldn't either.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! How BK doesn't get that.

BK gets it, but what you guys don't seem to get is that there has to be controls in place. I'll give you an example......

80 guys show up for the voluntary workouts. 20 of them show up at 8 AM, 20 show up at 9 AM, 20 show up at10 AM and the last 20 show up at 10:30. The guys who showed up at 8 decide that at 9:45 they're going to head over to Dunkin Donuts and get an ice coffee and a couple of honey dipped. The guys who showed up at 9 decide they're going to take a quick shower and head up to CBS Scene for a quick lunch at 11:15......................It's voluntary, they don't have to be there or answer to anyone ...correct??

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BK gets it, but what you guys don't seem to get is that there has to be controls in place. I'll give you an example......

80 guys show up for the voluntary workouts. 20 of them show up at 8 AM, 20 show up at 9 AM, 20 show up at10 AM and the last 20 show up at 10:30. The guys who showed up at 8 decide that at 9:45 they're going to head over to Dunkin Donuts and get an ice coffee and a couple of honey dipped. The guys who showed up at 9 decide they're going to take a quick shower and head up to CBS Scene for a quick lunch at 11:15......................It's voluntary, they don't have to be there or answer to anyone ...correct??
Then you would call them Rex and the Jets......
It is Saturday morning here. I am going to work OT today. It is not mandatory.
I am expected to be on time.
OTA's not mandatory but being late is disruptive to the team.
If you are going to work, show up on time. That simple.