• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL ignores it's own rules

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is still a rule in the books about designating an international practice squad player. It allows a team to keep 1 player over 80 if they are international.

Lions tried to get Rugland on the PS by this rule, but the nfl chose to ignore that the rule is there. I can understand that that rule was in place for the NFL Europe, but since they have not removed it yet shouldn't they have to live by it? If they don't like it they could remove it in the off season, but Rugland should be allowed this year.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm beginning to think D.C. is using Goodell and the NFL to start rioting in Detroit. How else can you explain the obvious hosing the Lions get? The stolen perfect game? Bankruptcy with lost pensions?

They have to do something. Otherwise, even the sheep in this country might start to notice what a hosing they're getting from Washington.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a load of shit, eh?

"What's that, Mr. Mayhew, you want to take advantage of the rule we have allowing a team to keep one international player on the practice squad? No."

I don't understand how the NFL can simply ignore it's own rule like that?!

I think it's high time for a fan strike. For one week everyone should boycott the games entirely- don't go to the stadiums, don't tune in on TV. That'd get the league's attention and let them know they can't continue to operate as they please. They're using our $$, so it seems like we should have some input over the product, right?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL does what it wants when it wants. The rules are only there if it suits them. If a rule does not exist for a situation, they create one and make it retroactive to the time you broke it and then punish you for it.

Similar to our court system where they make a law that children under a certain age can not be charged as adults, then when someone under that age commits a heinous act, they try them as adults anyway.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly- I'm not a fan of the Skins or Cowboys, but it sure seems crooked that the NFL punished them for going over a salary cap that didn't exist during the lockout...

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to be a dick about this, but Al Davis used to win lawsuits against the league all the time when they tried to pull this crap. The Commissioner is not a dictator.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have a link to this rule? There used to be a limit of 80 players for the 1st 2 pre-season games up until 2012. It was changed to 90 players which presumably negated any need or reason for international exemptions. NFL Europe had different roster rules and exemptions.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he meant to say over 8, not 80. You're supposed to be able to keep a 9th guy on your p-squad if he's an international player. We did it a few years ago with a DT (I forget his name) who was from Africa...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did mean 8, sorry about that.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood. I wasn't aware you could use it to have a 9th player on the practice squad. If you could i'd imagine all teams would take that opportunity.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think so, but apparently they don't. The rule exists, nobody is making that up.

I think the issue is that there's simply not all that many international players worth having on the practice squad... Most teams just skirt the issue by faking injuries and putting developmental guys on IR. The 49ers do it all the time- young players have a full and healthy training camp, but when cut-down day comes these guys suddenly have all sorts of season-ending injuries...

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for that. It sounds like it was originally in addition to the 80 man pre-season roster. Once the roster was increased to 90 there was probably no need for it. I did read the roster regulations in the 2010 CBA, (a long time ago), and didn't see it. NFL Europe had regulations that mandated having an international player on each team. The rules exempted those players from the normal Draft and roster regulations to prevent English and German teams from pinching each other's home grown talent - which would have been ridiculous commercially.

I'm not sure how adding a K to the practice squad would help the Lions.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for that. It sounds like it was originally in addition to the 80 man pre-season roster. Once the roster was increased to 90 there was probably no need for it. I did read the roster regulations in the 2010 CBA, (a long time ago), and didn't see it. NFL Europe had regulations that mandated having an international player on each team. The rules exempted those players from the normal Draft and roster regulations to prevent English and German teams from pinching each other's home grown talent - which would have been ridiculous commercially.

I'm not sure how adding a K to the practice squad would help the Lions.
Did you see Akers miss back-to-back kicks Sunday?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can cut a K and sign a replacement at any time. The purpose of the practice squad is to familiarize a player with your system without adding them to the active roster. It still allows them to sign with someone else if a vacancy appears. Signing a K to the practice squad wouldn't prevent him leaving to join someone else and he shouldn't need to learn anything. I'm sure you all know this and are leaving me to piss into the wind. lol. I did notice the 0/2 & 4/4 FG stats. It's a hard to miss stat in close games. Commiserations. Then again it's not as if Akers missing is a big surprise after last year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know he's never been on an American football team before, right? Practice kinda fucking makes sense. But I'm sure you knew that.