• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Competition Committee says make Kickoffs safer, or eliminate them

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Committee: Kickoffs at risk if not made safer

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proposed Change:

"Once kicked, the players will walk towards each other at a brisk pace until a tackle is able to be made. The players must keep one foot on the ground during the speed walking phase, otherwise this will constitute as running. If a player begins running prior to making contact, that player is ejected."

There, that should be complicated and stupid enough.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring back Da Scrum!

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol I love that clip, especially how the guy bowls over that dumbass band member. Like WTF are you doing on the field? One of the biggest thing that pisses me off in ANY sport is premature celebration by dumbass fans/teams. It's why I can barely watch sports with anyone.

Game 7 WS for the Cubs (not a diehard Cubs fan so I was whatever) a bunch of douche people in a bar were buying shots and celebrating at like the 6th or 7th inning. And then Cleveland came back and it went into extra. Then Cubs took the lead and before the Indians are even up to bat for the final time people are buying more shots to celebrate. UGH. Wanted to just leave, but didn't want to be a dick to people I was with.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say bye bye to many, many fans if the kickoff goes away, NFL. All my Steelers stuff will go into a couple of boxes and sit in the attic for the rest of my days, I will no longer be a willing spectator for that "sport ", whatever you want to call it (because it will no longer be football, at least to me)

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 7 WS for the Cubs (not a diehard Cubs fan so I was whatever) a bunch of douche people in a bar were buying shots and celebrating at like the 6th or 7th inning. And then Cleveland came back and it went into extra. Then Cubs took the lead and before the Indians are even up to bat for the final time people are buying more shots to celebrate. UGH. Wanted to just leave, but didn't want to be a dick to people I was with.

Why do you hate drinking?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proposed Change:

"Once kicked, the players will walk towards each other at a brisk pace until a tackle is able to be made. The players must keep one foot on the ground during the speed walking phase, otherwise this will constitute as running. If a player begins running prior to making contact, that player is ejected."

There, that should be complicated and stupid enough.

No doubt, the NFL is about to turn into a joke of a game, I can't believe there taking it even further with these rules... I wonder how far they're willing to push it, it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being flag football in the future...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, the NFL is about to turn into a joke of a game, I can't believe there taking it even further with these rules... I wonder how far they're willing to push it, it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being flag football in the future...
Or worse yet, it could turn into a sport where people 'flop' for foul calls

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say bye bye to many, many fans if the kickoff goes away, NFL. All my Steelers stuff will go into a couple of boxes and sit in the attic for the rest of my days, I will no longer be a willing spectator for that "sport ", whatever you want to call it (because it will no longer be football, at least to me)

Agreed... I'll get my NFL fix from Tecmo bowl, or old school Madden games on my original xbox ... NFL is officially taking this @#$^@ too far.......

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love kickoffs.
Don't care how unsafe they are.
Some amazing highlights come in the form of kickoff returns as well.

Hopefully when the NFL eliminates them a new league pops up that has them.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't feel too bad for them, what with all their money and shit, but I can appreciate the tight spot they're in.

It's a violent sport where people get paid to essentially injure/get injured. There's no way to make the game "safe," but if they don't try, they're going to be sued pantsless...and I don't think I need to warn anyone that watching Roger Goodell walking around pantsless is not a pleasant image.

So they really only have one digestible option, which is to try and cut down on the things that cause the worst injuries, even if it changes some of the things we like most about it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel too bad for them, what with all their money and shit, but I can appreciate the tight spot they're in.

It's a violent sport where people get paid to essentially injure/get injured. There's no way to make the game "safe," but if they don't try, they're going to be sued pantsless...and I don't think I need to warn anyone that watching Roger Goodell walking around pantsless is not a pleasant image.

So they really only have one digestible option, which is to try and cut down on the things that cause the worst injuries, even if it changes some of the things we like most about it.

The game is already way safer than it was though, NFL needs to understand they can't push it to the point of alienating fans... It's a contact sport so it's physically impossible to eliminate all injuries... NFL is openly now taking steps for concussions, it's out in the open, players coming out of college know the risks involved.. I'm wondering why they can't have players sign consent forms knowing the risks so they can't sue the NFL.. Before it was because they kinda hide the risks, but that's not the case anymore.. I"m no legal expert so I have no idea, just wondering...

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering why they can't have players sign consent forms knowing the risks so they can't sue the NFL.. Before it was because they kinda hide the risks, but that's not the case anymore.. I"m no legal expert so I have no idea, just wondering...

I'm no legal scholar, either, but what this whole CTE/concussions thingy looks like is that the NFL is treading this very thin line, or else they open themselves up to lots and lots of costly litigation. Their "playbook" is almost exactly the same as that used for decades by the tobacco companies. They will obfuscate, they will pay for their own slanted research, they will discredit any independent medical opinions, and above all else they will NEVER give any admission of guilt.

But, they are willing to show how cooperative they can be, which means endless rules changes.