• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next year's roster

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside LoMo and Zunino, I like our IF... Seager, Marte, Cano are solid at their positions...

1B: I can see the team hanging onto Trumbo due to his salary... If we could trade him for pitching, I'd rather do that... Dipoto traded him once already so that's not out of the question... If traded, I'd see what Montero could do at 1B... I don't want LoMo on the roster at all...

I'd like to see us trade Brad Miller and Chris Taylor... We could probably get a solid Catcher for Miller...
I would say Trumbo seems to be the likely option for 1st base going into next season and I am cool with that.

I am actually on board with trading Miller and or Taylor especially if we get a solid return for them. But I do think you should plan on a backup plan for Marte just in case.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only problem trading both is we would have no backup plan if Marte fizzles or gets hurt. I have no problem trading them as long as we can get a quality backup.

Yeah, good point...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greinke is a longshot as he will demand a TON of money.. I'd like to see us go after one of the following arms: Zimmerman, Fister, Cueto. Any of those guys are a solid 2/3 starter for us.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article.

Jerry Dipoto looks to improve Mariners in 2016

Part of article:

Arbitration-eligible: 1B/DH/OF Mark Trumbo, 1B/DH Logan Morrison, RHP Tom Wilhelmsen, RHP Logan Kensing; LHP Charlie Furbush.

Free agents: RHP Hisashi Iwakuma, LHP Joe Beimel, OF Franklin Gutierrez.

Out of options: 1B/DH Jesus Montero, LHP Danny Hultzen, LHP Mike Montgomery, LHP Edgar Olmos, RHP JC Ramirez, RHP Jose Ramirez, OF Ramon Flores.
Wait. So, three of the players we acquired via trade last year can no longer be carried on a minor league roster? Attaboy Jack. The gift that keeps on giving, just like herpes.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greinke is a longshot as he will demand a TON of money.. I'd like to see us go after one of the following arms: Zimmerman, Fister, Cueto. Any of those guys are a solid 2/3 starter for us.
Seattle and Safeco would be an excellent landing spot on a one-year deal for a guy like Fister who will be looking to re-build his market value after a regrettably-timed down year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Zimmerman would probably cost us the #11 overall pick which I am against. Cueto would not so it makes him more attractive. Fister probably wouldn't cost us a pick and would be affordable, but would he be willing to come back to the team that traded him when he was productive for us?

I am a big Kazmir fan and he would not cost us the pick. It should be fun this off season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle and Safeco would be an excellent landing spot on a one-year deal for a guy like Fister who will be looking to re-build his market value after a regrettably-timed down year.

It would and if he had issues he still could pitch out of the pen like he did this year in a worst-case scenario. I like this move.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto certainly has his hands full trying to field a roster in the way he talks about. They need starting pitching help, bullpen help and get a legitimate outfield and for the love of God get Zunino to start looking like a MLB hitter.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turning to the Mariners‘ actual roster, John McGrath of the Tacoma News Tribune opines that the Royals serve as a blueprint for the type of club that Dipoto should attempt to construct. The Royals trounced the Mariners in terms of defensive metrics, contact rate and baserunning efficiency, McGrath notes, indicating that they have a roster that is tailored far more appropriately for a spacious ball park. The Mariners’ Safeco Field is similarly spacious to the Royals’ Kauffman Stadium, yet Seattle ranked among the worst defenses in the league, was far too reliant on home runs (as opposed to making contact) and was successful in just 60.5 percent of its collective stolen base attempts. McGrath also notes that a superior bullpen — one that is more adept at protecting marginal one- and two-run leads — will be needed if the Mariners are to contend again.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with the Mariners bullpen is that they haven't had a dependable starting staff. They can't have their own pitch that many innings and expect it to hold up for more than 1 season collectively.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with the Mariners bullpen is that they haven't had a dependable starting staff. They can't have their own pitch that many innings and expect it to hold up for more than 1 season collectively.

We ranked 16th in innings pitched by starters. Could be better obviously, but not as bad as I originally thought.

Bullpen pitched 9th most innings (KC bullpen pitched 5th most innings).

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have numbers but they throw a crap load in 2014?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have numbers but they throw a crap load in 2014?

2014 SP's: 21st 952 IP.
2014 RP's: 12th 500 IP

2015 SP's: 16th 940 IP
2015 RP's: 9th 523 IP

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, maybe I smoked crack or something but outside Felicity and Young it seemed the bullpen was in by the 6th every game

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, maybe I smoked crack or something but outside Felicity and Young it seemed the bullpen was in by the 6th every game

I know what you are saying. Maybe it was except when Felix and Young pitched which would skew the numbers?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From SI:

Mike Zunino is a big talent, but scouts are concerned that leaving him in the big leagues to struggle offensively for two years may provide a psychological hurdle ... The big three of the Mariners (Robinson Cano, Felix Hernandez and Nelson Cruz) all loved manager Lloyd McClendon. New manager Scott Servais, who seems like a tougher customer, will be an interesting match, especially for Cano, baseball people say.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From SI:

Mike Zunino is a big talent, but scouts are concerned that leaving him in the big leagues to struggle offensively for two years may provide a psychological hurdle ... The big three of the Mariners (Robinson Cano, Felix Hernandez and Nelson Cruz) all loved manager Lloyd McClendon. New manager Scott Servais, who seems like a tougher customer, will be an interesting match, especially for Cano, baseball people say.

They might have loved Lloyd but I doubt any of them are/were pissed when Lloyd got canned. It was obvious that the team was heading in a different direction. I'm sure the players will be happy to work with Servais as long as he's not a jerk.

As for Zunino I would make him stay in the minors and earn his way back. S**t or get off the pot Mike.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From SI:

Good!!! How many times was Cano just simply out to lunch this season?