• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Newbie hunter needs rifle recommendation

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been fishing forever, but really have never shot a game animal. I've plinked away at ground squirrels with the old Ruger 22, but nothing more. I'm wanting to hunt for mule deer this year. I live in Central Oregon. I need a decent rifle, powerful enough to maybe drop an elk someday. So, any recommendations on brand and caliber for weapon? I was leaning towards a 30.06. Something that is economic, dependable, and shoots straight.

Also, any OR hunters here that is familiar with the draw system out this way? I've tried interpreting the regulations, but its somewhat confusing.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump fer Sackatater. I'd chime in but I've never been hunting. I just go shoot random shit (bottles, barrels etc.) out in the country. I'm planning on going hunting with my father in law at some point though so I'll take notes too if anybody has any info.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been fishing forever, but really have never shot a game animal. I've plinked away at ground squirrels with the old Ruger 22, but nothing more. I'm wanting to hunt for mule deer this year. I live in Central Oregon. I need a decent rifle, powerful enough to maybe drop an elk someday. So, any recommendations on brand and caliber for weapon? I was leaning towards a 30.06. Something that is economic, dependable, and shoots straight.

Also, any OR hunters here that is familiar with the draw system out this way? I've tried interpreting the regulations, but its somewhat confusing.

You can't go wrong with a 30.06. It is enough cartridge for anything here in North America. If you are looking at saving some money and don't want to drop a lot of money I would go with a bolt action rifle from Savage, Marlin, Mossberg or Thompson Center. Any of these rifles can be had from $300 to $600 dollars. I also believe they are all made here in the states.

If you want to step up in price and get a rifle that you won't ever want to replace then I would go with a Winchester model 70 or a Remington model 700. If it were me I would go with the Winchester model 70 in a featherweight or a sporter. My second choice would be a Savage due to price point and quality.

Good luck on your search.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant say much more then Team Mookie.

30-06 is a great round.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll chime in if money is an issue the new Ruger American a good rifle at a nice price point. Also, take a look at the T/C venture line another gun that is a lot of rifle for the money. If money isn't an issue. I would by a Kimber in 84L in .30-06 you can get into one of them for that $1200 to $1500 range and they are IMO a lot more gun then a new Remington 700 sorry Remington lovers out there but Remington hasn't been the same since the freedom group to them over. As for the Winchester M70 they wish they could be a Kimber.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll chime in if money is an issue the new Ruger American a good rifle at a nice price point. Also, take a look at the T/C venture line another gun that is a lot of rifle for the money. If money isn't an issue. I would by a Kimber in 84L in .30-06 you can get into one of them for that $1200 to $1500 range and they are IMO a lot more gun then a new Remington 700 sorry Remington lovers out there but Remington hasn't been the same since the freedom group to them over. As for the Winchester M70 they wish they could be a Kimber.

Please enlighten us.... I have seen many comparisons between the Model 70 and the Kimber 84 on the internet. Most of the folks complaining are Kimber owner’s talking about how inaccurate those pencil dick barrels are. :laugh3:

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant say much more then Team Mookie.

30-06 is a great round.

This. Plus, every store that carries ammo will have rounds for this rifle. Can't say that for the others, except maybe a 30-30.

Also consider scope price if you are getting one. That will add to the overall price a bit. If I had to do it all over again, I would still get a bolt action 30-06 or maybe that sweet Marlin lever action.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the response guys. A police sergeant friend of mine raved about a weatherby vanguard 300. But, I've read it kicks like a mule and ammo is expensive and not easy to come by,

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Please enlighten us.... I have seen many comparisons between the Model 70 and the Kimber 84 on the internet. Most of the folks complaining are Kimber owner’s talking about how inaccurate those pencil dick barrels are. :laugh3:

What are type of accuracy are do you expect? I want all my rifles to shoot at least a 3 shoot group atleast 1". I own 4 kimber rifles and all of them will shoot 3/4" or better. I will say the barrels do heat up a by the third shot and start to open the group up. But I believe it has to do more with the guy behind the gun than the rifle itself. They've got great triggers out of the box and they air guage there barrels and chambers down to the last thousands of an inch. Something you will not get from Remington or Winchester. I've never had to do anything to my Kimbers but I've needed to have work done by a gunsmiths work on both Remingtons I own to get them to shoot under an inch. Replacing triggers and trueing the bolts and bedding the actions.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect 3/4 MOA like everyone else in the rifle community. I have never had a problem with my Winchester's. Not sure why your trying to create this pissing match. I'm happy that Kimber air gauged the barrel. What are their tolerances and did they provide you with this dated. How close to true bore is the rifle. I'm glad you take comfort in this process, but seems pointless when you don't know anything about the data from those tests. Also many other companies have wonderful triggers that are easy enough to tune without the use of a gunsmith if needed.

The Winchester M70 is a wonderful rifle and has been around for the last 75 years. This isn't because they are not fine rifles. In fact many of the finest marksmen have carried these rifles on hunts all over the world. It is still one of the most popular rifles by guides in Africa today. Even the Kimber itself is a copy of the Winchester. Is the Kimber better than the M70 I just don't think so... I will continue to carry the Winchester because of its refinement, reliability and accuracy. Not to mention is history as one of the worlds greatest rifles.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect 3/4 MOA like everyone else in the rifle community. I have never had a problem with my Winchester's. Not sure why your trying to create this pissing match. I'm happy that Kimber air gauged the barrel. What are their tolerances and did they provide you with this dated. How close to true bore is the rifle. I'm glad you take comfort in this process, but seems pointless when you don't know anything about the data from those tests. Also many other companies have wonderful triggers that are easy enough to tune without the use of a gunsmith if needed.

The Winchester M70 is a wonderful rifle and has been around for the last 75 years. This isn't because they are not fine rifles. In fact many of the finest marksmen have carried these rifles on hunts all over the world. It is still one of the most popular rifles by guides in Africa today. Even the Kimber itself is a copy of the Winchester. Is the Kimber better than the M70 I just don't think so... I will continue to carry the Winchester because of its refinement, reliability and accuracy. Not to mention is history as one of the worlds greatest rifles.

I didn't create the pissing match I'm just stating that the QC at Remington and Winchester is not the same as Kimber. Just like a Kenny Jarrett, Ed Brown, Dakota, H-S Precision, and Grainte Mountain Arms IMO the aboslute best rifle money can buy in a bolt actions but you better be ready drop coin. All those rifles I just stated are better then anything Kimber makes.

When I start looking at fit finish and over all quality Kimber is a better rifle then what comes of the lines at Remington and Winchester in the last few years. I own three pre-64 Winchesters .308 Win, .300 H&H and .220 Swift they are all shooters, and damn fine guns. But the new Winchester are not at the same quality as the old. However the Kimber is up to that quailty. Like I've stated before Kimber builds specific actions for the .308 family, .30-06 family, WSM family, and LA magnum family cartridges down to the smallest dimensions to shed weight. There stocks are refined and have features you'll see on many custom built rifles. Match grade barrels and chambers again measured down to the last thousands of an inch. You carry a hunting rifle way more then you shoot it. For triggers if you look at Remington or Whinchester yes you can adjust but they still need to be stoned and polished to really make them into great triggers. It's already done with the Kimber and they are very easy to adjust. But I've never need to they've always been set a 3.5 pounds. A Kimber is a semi-custom built gun just like the Winchester were built before 1964. Winchester and Remington are assembly line built rifles at a set of certain tolerances. They don't hand fit like Kimber does.

I understand your love an devotion to Winchester they do make some very nice rifles. But if you have never had you're hands on a older FN comerical 98 mauser rifle or and older Browning safari FN built rifle, if you haven't then you need to. I also own a couple of FN comerical mauser 98's in 7x57 and .30-06 that shoot better than any rifle I own. They are extremly well built and built on a true Mauser 98 action instead of modified action like the Pre-64 Winchester used to save money. But they are heavy rifles and I choose not to hunt with them as much like I do my Kimbers. There are lots of good rifles out there but when you start talking in that $1000 dollar range then I go to a Kimber over a Winchester or a Remington every time.