• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New sign the A'ss are moving to San Jose?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Billy Beane?s contract extension signal an optimistic dawn for Oakland fans? | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

I really don't want to see this happen. But if it does, Teh Used Car Salesman had better throw a HUUUUUUUGE chunk of money across the Bay before it happens. We're talking enough dough to pay off the financing of the stadium.

And he had better prepare himself for an ugly legal battle if the cash isn't flowing.

Bottom line eff the AAAA's and their franchise.

Very much This. Plus, relocation costs for the San Jose Giants and reimbursement of money spent on marketing in the South Bay. :pop2:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it, it either helps us in the short term and harms us in the long run, or helps us in the long run and doesn't do much in the short term.

If the Asss's get their way an move to SJ, the Giants will receive a LARGE sum of money, possibly enough to pay off most of the Stadium debt and some big contracts (cough Zito). But we lose the SJ market for the future generations of young fans.

If the Asss's can't get SJ, Giants keep that market and all the generations that succeed it. And if the Asss's are forced to move away, Giants get the entire BayArea.

I wouldn't say its a win-win for us, but in both cases, the Giants will benefit.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm curious to know how much money you guys think the Giants get out of the "San Jose market?"

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very much This. Plus, relocation costs for the San Jose Giants and reimbursement of money spent on marketing in the South Bay. :pop2:

Maybe the Baby Giants and the Assssss can just switch venues. The Baby Giants would still draw more fans, methinks. In any case, the Baby Giants are the more major league ready team than the Asssssssssssss.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm curious to know how much money you guys think the Giants get out of the "San Jose market?"

Baltimore got just short of 80 million for letting the Nats move to DC fuss free, and a guaranteed minimum sale price from the MLB if the owners ever wished to sell.

Keep in mind that they didn't "own" the DC area the way we own SJ, and they didn't owe tens of millions of dollars on a stadium who's financing was based on owning a territory.

IF the owners have the stones to tell us to shove it, then we're in for a big pay day. Otherwise, we can sue the city of SJ into the stone age (teams can't sue MLB) and tie the project up in the courtroom for years.

Most A's fans will swear on their mothers graves that it was a handshake agreement that gave us SJ, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an ignorant fuck head. Personally, I don't know how the agreement was finalized, but if there wasn't any sort of signed document or paperwork one would think we would have no grounds to complain, and the A's would have been in SJ years ago.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Well, stadium cost $357 million. Believe it or not, the Giants only really owe about $170 mil on that from the earliest days, which is how much of a loan they took from Chase Manhattan Bank. The rest was accounted for:

- They earned $70 million from the sale of charter seat licenses
- They added $50 mil over 24 years from Pac Bell cum at&t for naming rights
- Estimates are that they took in an additional $52 in sponsorships and other sources (selling partial ownership, etc)
- The team got $15 million in tax increment financing by San Francisco's redevelopment agency.

So $170 mil in actual debt. They've been there for 12 years now and have made a shit-ton of money every season. Including the (realistically) low interest rate they're paying on that loan, I would guess that the team still owes a little more than half of that - so let's say $95 mil or so.

I figure that it will take at least that amount of money PLUS future cash to cover corporate losses when the A'ss move to San Jose. So my guess is that the owners would settle for $150-$175 million to allow the A'ss to move their busted-ass franchise from Oakland to San Jose.

I would be shocked if the total was anything less than 9 figures.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, stadium cost $357 million. Believe it or not, the Giants only really owe about $170 mil on that from the earliest days, which is how much of a loan they took from Chase Manhattan Bank. The rest was accounted for:

- They earned $70 million from the sale of charter seat licenses
- They added $50 mil over 24 years from Pac Bell cum at&t for naming rights
- Estimates are that they took in an additional $52 in sponsorships and other sources (selling partial ownership, etc)
- The team got $15 million in tax increment financing by San Francisco's redevelopment agency.

So $170 mil in actual debt. They've been there for 12 years now and have made a shit-ton of money every season. Including the (realistically) low interest rate they're paying on that loan, I would guess that the team still owes a little more than half of that - so let's say $95 mil or so.

I figure that it will take at least that amount of money PLUS future cash to cover corporate losses when the A'ss move to San Jose. So my guess is that the owners would settle for $150-$175 million to allow the A'ss to move their busted-ass franchise from Oakland to San Jose.

I would be shocked if the total was anything less than 9 figures.

Which begs the question, where are the broke-ass A's going to come up with $150 large? Or does MLB kick in to help?

Either way the battle should be fun to watch: :pop2:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Which begs the question, where are the broke-ass A's going to come up with $150 large? Or does MLB kick in to help?

Either way the battle should be fun to watch: :pop2:

Well, my guess is that Major League Baseball (read: all the owners) would kick down the actual cash to the Giants and then the A'ss would have to pay that back with the future sale of tickets at their San Jose location.

But I agree with mistgl that even if baseball approves it, the Giants will find a way to tie up the proceedings in court for years to come.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, my guess is that Major League Baseball (read: all the owners) would kick down the actual cash to the Giants and then the A'ss would have to pay that back with the future sale of tickets at their San Jose location.

But I agree with mistgl that even if baseball approves it, the Giants will find a way to tie up the proceedings in court for years to come.

And this is where Neukom still comes in handy (even though he's not the Managing General Partner anymore, he's still with the organization), he knows the law and could guide some decisions.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is where Neukom still comes in handy (even though he's not the Managing General Partner anymore, he's still with the organization), he knows the law and could guide some decisions.

Is he?

I hope you are right, but I thought he cut all ties when he was sacked.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he?

I hope you are right, but I thought he cut all ties when he was sacked.

Actually, my bad. After grabbing the link I realized he was merely named chairman emeritus and his spot is being retired and Bear will take over only for CEO.

I could have sworn I read somewhere though he would still hold a position with us. Guess I'm imagining things.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The whole situation is bull shit. Wolfe has seen first hand what SJ has done for the Giants profit wise, and decided he wants that for his A's. Only problem is we've spent the better part of 2 decades cultivating SJ into the money maker that it is for us today. We showed the silicon valley how profitable being linked to an MLB franchise can be, and now we're supposed to hand that over all kthxbai style? AAAA's can go suck a bleeding HIV infected dick.

What exactly is supposed to make all of SJ convert when they move? Two dollar general admissions on Wednesday? There's a reason that Oakland isn't fighting to keep them, cause the franchise is a fucking joke.