• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New racquet saga continues for Federer

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read it on the atp site. Will do some digging now. Says its a larger headsize.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The newspaper also quoted Federer as saying he will use a larger 98-square inch Wilson racquet during the Australian swing"

"“The racket is extremely important,” said Federer, who experimented with a new frame last summer before going back to his smaller frame at the U.S. Open, and for the rest of the 2013 season. “But now I have the feeling that this is the right time for a change. I've played through two and a half weeks with the new model and am confident. The racket suits me very well.”

This is from tennis.com

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger admit he was “very eager” to test out the new racquet, which he revealed is not the same model he attempted to use following his second round Wimbledon exit.

“It’s one that Wilson worked on and adjusted after my comments,” he said. “They anyway wanted to do some more work on that racquet. They sent me one round of racquets after the US Open, and now another one after the World Tour Finals I tested again a couple and chose the one I’m playing with now, that I’ve been practicing with two and a half straight weeks in Dubai with it. I feel very comfortable, more comfortable than I did with the one after Wimbledon, which felt very different but very good as well. This one feels more of an extension that I had before, but it’s more futuristic form, I guess."

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more on the racquet from Fed:

"Yeah, I’m going to play in Australia with a similar model as last summer. Actually, I wanted to carry on testing right after the U.S. Open again. But then I had so much on my plate and my game, that I stuck with the old one. Now I have had more time to still make further small changes and to speak to Wilson with regards to changes…. But now I have the feeling that now is the right time for a change. I’ve played two and a half weeks with the new model and I am confident. The racket suits me very well in the hand. But the proof will be on court. We will see in the tournaments in Australia how it goes."

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger admit he was “very eager” to test out the new racquet, which he revealed is not the same model he attempted to use following his second round Wimbledon exit.

“It’s one that Wilson worked on and adjusted after my comments,” he said. “They anyway wanted to do some more work on that racquet. They sent me one round of racquets after the US Open, and now another one after the World Tour Finals I tested again a couple and chose the one I’m playing with now, that I’ve been practicing with two and a half straight weeks in Dubai with it. I feel very comfortable, more comfortable than I did with the one after Wimbledon, which felt very different but very good as well. This one feels more of an extension that I had before, but it’s more futuristic form, I guess."

more on the racquet from Fed:

"Yeah, I’m going to play in Australia with a similar model as last summer. Actually, I wanted to carry on testing right after the U.S. Open again. But then I had so much on my plate and my game, that I stuck with the old one. Now I have had more time to still make further small changes and to speak to Wilson with regards to changes…. But now I have the feeling that now is the right time for a change. I’ve played two and a half weeks with the new model and I am confident. The racket suits me very well in the hand. But the proof will be on court. We will see in the tournaments in Australia how it goes."

So the model is similar as the one from last summer, but the feel is different? I'm confused.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the model is similar as the one from last summer, but the feel is different? I'm confused.

Here are a few points about prototype rackets (Federer's in particular)

1. It doesn't have a name (like a Wilson Blade 93 e.g)
2. It doesn't even have a paint job (blackish looking is like a default color).
3. It's not available to the general playing (recreational or competitive) folks.
4. Its not the final form of the stick and can still undergo structural or compositional changes by its maker.

Federer tried one middle of last year which was made at a short notice by Wilson, it didnt work, but after that they got more time to tweak that frame and get it closer to what Federer was playing with before so the feel became right for the Fedster.

Once and if Federer does decide to stick to it, they will then give it a paintjob and mass produce it and try to sell it to Fans and anyone they can fool by insinuating that their game will be transformed magically with this stick.

The paintjob version available to the masses may not be anything like what Federer plays with or may be somewhat like it but never an exact replica. Case in point is Sampras' original racquet which was made in St. Vincent Island that played differently from one that was madein China or Taiwan.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just gonna be happy when Fed kicks some Delbonis and Brands ass with his new racquet. I double dare either player to play Roger now. Bring Stakhovsky too just for good measure.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I am seeing (am watching a replay of Fed vs Duck) is that he can now MUSCLE backhand service returns with the new racquet. Not sure if any of the commentators have picked on this yet but this is good news when he is facing a bigger server like Murray or DJoker. If the new racquet can boost his Serve, Forehand (as claimed/predicted by experts in a recent article/review) and his BH, then I frankly do not see any negatives. He is sound equipment wise and any other issues may arise only in the confidence department.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad-ass half volley pick up winner by Fed coming behind first serve at game point at 2-1 against Kavcic. This racquet is holding up pretty good I must say. He got in 11 aces as well so I am not too sad about that either. Serve wise the racquet is at least as good as his last one if not better. He can do with a lot of free points on serve at this stage of his career.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean he is drop volleying with the "soft touch" as the buttons of an 80's double cassette boombox. He is taking stabs at the "would be aces down the middle" service returns on his backhand side. He is doing it all. Just needs more practice to get the hang of the frame. I say stick with this stick.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, this just in. And its mind baffling. Roger's new frame appears to be exactly like the one he experimented with back in mid 2013 (from two separate pics available on google images), and none of them have any PWS?! For the racket unsavvy crowd here that means the racquet head does not have the weighted and extra thickened parts at the 3 o'clock and the 9 o'clock positions to stabilize the racquet on impact with the ball..... And its the open string pattern 16 X 19 which can add more power as well as spin. So the closest frame that Wilson already has in their lineup seems to be the Blade 98 (16 X 19). But I have a gut feeling this is NOT a regular Blade 98.

I want Nadal on the other side of the net after Fed has perfected and blended this frame in with his game. Now Nadal will only have a 2 sqin advantage over Fed.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, this just in. And its mind baffling. Roger's new frame appears to be exactly like the one he experimented with back in mid 2013 (from two separate pics available on google images), and none of them have any PWS?! For the racket unsavvy crowd here that means the racquet head does not have the weighted and extra thickened parts at the 3 o'clock and the 9 o'clock positions to stabilize the racquet on impact with the ball..... And its the open string pattern 16 X 19 which can add more power as well as spin. So the closest frame that Wilson already has in their lineup seems to be the Blade 98 (16 X 19). But I have a gut feeling this is NOT a regular Blade 98.

I want Nadal on the other side of the net after Fed has perfected and blended this frame in with his game. Now Nadal will only have a 2 sqin advantage over Fed.

Hmm...maybe they have weights hidden in there or sumpin'.

I've been using the Wilson nCode nPro for years. They had one for a flatter grip and the one for the extreme western grip I use. It has been great - super control and spin exaggeration. Love it.

The new racquet most like it is the Wilson "Juice." I gotta say I strongly approve of the name.

WJP-1.jpg

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Juice theater, I would actually have to pick up a blade in my hand at a retail store to see about the PWS. Sometimes it could be camouflaged real good so it is not apparent from casual pic.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on the new racquet is that they must modify the larger frame in such a manner that it plays and feels somewhat like Fed's old racquet (90 sqin). At the same time he would be getting the benefits of a larger head and more power and spin. The beam is not flat like his previous racquet and is somewhat rounded and thicker than 17 or 18 mm. I have tried racquets with round beam and it felt completely alien when I hit with it. Also a jump from 90 to 98 felt funny in my hand (without any custom mods) last time I demoed different frames. So I think Wilson has done really a fab job with his prototype. As far as the PWS goes all it does is add weight to those spots and that can be duplicated by lead tape in equal amounts in those positions.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are Wilson racquets out this year with an "L" in the name for longer. The head is larger but only because it's a little longer and not any wider. The reviews on Tennis Warehouse are good but they didn't seem to think much of the longer part.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As per the forum feedback in Talk tennis threads.
oudins blacked out wilson [Archive] - Talk Tennis

The new Blades after 2010 don't have PWS. Maybe Wilson camouflaged it and incorporated it within the design so it doesn't stand out prominently, or maybe Wilson is using different technology to stabilize the frame. So my bet is that Fed's new stick may not have PWS. It looks very simple frame. Maybe its just a pro Staff (all graphite or 80-20 graphite-kevlar) designed differently. Now Wilson even has the whole Pro Staff lineup back and available in 90, 95 sqin frames.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are Wilson racquets out this year with an "L" in the name for longer. The head is larger but only because it's a little longer and not any wider. The reviews on Tennis Warehouse are good but they didn't seem to think much of the longer part.

As far as I know most pros play with the standard 27in long frames unless they are too short (like Chang) or need the extra length like Amanda COutzer.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Fed vs Kavcic I am liking what Fed is doing with his BH. I think his one handed BH was a liability with a 90sqin against the rockets and the spin bombs launched in that BH quadrant by his foes before, but now he is sending them back with interest and making a statement that, that may not be a go-to spot anymore for lesser folks than Nadal. He is hitting BH winners ala Gasquet or Wawrinka in rallies.

Note, the larger headsize is more forgiving and should have less mis-hits from Fed from both wings, but the biggest difference the racquet can bring in his game could be equalizing his lack of perfect timing on setting up the one handed BH shot - due to him getting old and not moving as fast as in his prime - and the larger headsize could enable him to get the ball inside a larger sweetspot and over the net to make the opponent hit another shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
23 shot rally from Fed with him winning the point shows that he is defending better too with this racquet. One of the things that Djoko and Nadal do is defend well even when they are on their backfoot in rallies and get back to a winning shot.