• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New NHL Realignment

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No divisions, four conferences. Top four teams in each conference make the playoffs. First two rounds are divisional match ups.

Conference A
Ducks
Avs
Kings
Sharks
Flames
Oilers
Coyotes
Canucks

Conference B
Blackhawks
Stars
Wild
Blues
Blue Jackets
Red Wings
Predators
Jets

Conference C
Bruins
Panthers
Senators
Maple Leafs
Sabres
Canadiens
Lightning

Conference D
Hurricanes
Islanders
Flyers
Capitals
Devils
Rangers
Penguins

Every team will play a home and home so fans will finally be able to see each team live each year. The rest of the games will be played in Conference.

Thoughts (I have a hunch they will be overwhelmingly negative ;) ).

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% fail.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and also, doesn't help Western Conference teams at all with the travel... have to play *MORE* Eastern teams (home-and-home with each), right?

I think Dave posted something about the Kings before/after matchups+travel and it didn't look better at all...

I don't really get it.. plus the whole thing where two teams from the same division/conference can (maybe? TBD?) meet each other in the SCF... just has :L written all over it.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe this move is for the East Coast Bias. Show case the east coast teams and shit on the west coast teams. I bet the NHL would love to see 2 east coast teams fight for the cup every year.

I hope I'm wrong, and this move really does make the league better.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, tell me again, what is wrong with the current format? If anything, just swap Jets for either Nashville or Columbus. Leave Detroit in West.:hdn:

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought that they would wait for Phoenix to relocate in a year or two before they made any realignment plans official.

I doubt they will let two East or two West teams match up in the finals. I bet they take the winner of the West and Central confrences and the winners of the two East confrences and match them up in the 3rd round. It would just be stupid if they didn't... although the NHL is known for embrassing the idiodic.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's already much harder to make the playoffs in the West.....now they've just added 1 more team to make it even harder. 16 teams in the West.....14 in the East. Wow Bettman.....just wow.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's already much harder to make the playoffs in the West.....now they've just added 1 more team to make it even harder. 16 teams in the West.....14 in the East. Wow Bettman.....just wow.

A big "WTF!" to the bolded. Can it be any more obvious what the intentions are? To make it easier for the East coast teams to make it to the Finals. Less competition = better chances of making playoffs. Simple as that. I can't imagine any of the GMs in the 8 team conferences being happy.

I like that each team plays each team. That's about the only thing I like.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A big "WTF!" to the bolded. Can it be any more obvious what the intentions are? To make it easier for the East coast teams to make it to the Finals. Less competition = better chances of making playoffs. Simple as that. I can't imagine any of the GMs in the 8 team conferences being happy.

I like that each team plays each team. That's about the only thing I like.

Here's what I wrote on the NHL Main board:

They should stick with 4 Divisions, but they should have an equal amount of teams in each Conference. Make it so that the top two teams from each Division is guaranteed a playoff spot and then the next best 4 teams (regardless of division) make it in. Move Columbus or Nashville to the East (sorry Detroit fans ).

I agree, I like that we'll see each team twice a year.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The schedule isn't even balanced within the conference for the Sharks (8 teams).

total games - (home/away vs other 22 teams) = 38

38 / 7 = unbalanced schedule within the conference

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The schedule isn't even balanced within the conference for the Sharks (8 teams).

total games - (home/away vs other 22 teams) = 38

38 / 7 = unbalanced schedule within the conference

This is all being done for revinue purposes. The conferences won't be unbalanced for long. Expect two expansion teams in the near future. One in the Toronto/Hamilton area and another probably in Seattle. I also expect the Coyotes to move to Quebec after this season so the Sharks will be in one of the 7 team conferences for next year.

I'm holding off judgement until I actually see it in action though.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think there will be expansion? With so many teams claiming financial hardship (NYI, NJD, STL, PHO possibly FLA) I would be surprised to see two more teams.

I would like to see the Coyotes move to Quebec. The Quebec/Montreal rivalry is great. It is similar to the Alabama/Auburn rivalry in college football.

If I am not mistaken Seattle would need a stadium before they get a team and the people up there were not exactly open to funding an arena (Supersonics?).

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do you really think there will be expansion? With so many teams claiming financial hardship (NYI, NJD, STL, PHO possibly FLA) I would be surprised to see two more teams.

I would like to see the Coyotes move to Quebec. The Quebec/Montreal rivalry is great. It is similar to the Alabama/Auburn rivalry in college football.

If I am not mistaken Seattle would need a stadium before they get a team and the people up there were not exactly open to funding an arena (Supersonics?).

You can add Dallas to the financially troubled list of teams. Expansion brings in a ton of revinue for existing teams. If two teams are added, expansion fees and everything else included, would mean close to $300m would be split between the current 30 teams over a period of, I believe, 10 years. I'd be willing to bet that the prospects of that revinue swayed some of the votes.

This is pure speculation on my part but it seems odd that the two new conferences that currently make up the Western Conference both have 8 teams where as the East both have 7. To me that's a red flag that Phoenix is on it's way out and Quebec makes the most sence.

I'm not sure on the Seattle area situation. Seattle is talked about a lot as a possible destination for expansion. It would also fit the needs of the league as they would look for a city who's location fits the geographics for the new Pacific Conference. I'm sure there are other locations. Portland maybe?

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can add Dallas to the financially troubled list of teams. Expansion brings in a ton of revinue for existing teams. If two teams are added, expansion fees and everything else included, would mean close to $300m would be split between the current 30 teams over a period of, I believe, 10 years. I'd be willing to bet that the prospects of that revinue swayed some of the votes.

This is pure speculation on my part but it seems odd that the two new conferences that currently make up the Western Conference both have 8 teams where as the East both have 7. To me that's a red flag that Phoenix is on it's way out and Quebec makes the most sence.

I'm not sure on the Seattle area situation. Seattle is talked about a lot as a possible destination for expansion. It would also fit the needs of the league as they would look for a city who's location fits the geographics for the new Pacific Conference. I'm sure there are other locations. Portland maybe?

Didn't think about that. And I agree that the unbalanced conferences doesn't make any sense.

I don't like the idea of expansion becuase it will dilute the talent pool a little more. I would rather see them contract a couple of teams and see a better product on the ice. I know that will never happen though.

Seattle would be a really tough sell. They are also kind of in Canuck territory. I could see Portland. What about a team in Milwaukee?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't think about that. And I agree that the unbalanced conferences doesn't make any sense.

I don't like the idea of expansion becuase it will dilute the talent pool a little more. I would rather see them contract a couple of teams and see a better product on the ice. I know that will never happen though.

Seattle would be a really tough sell. They are also kind of in Canuck territory. I could see Portland. What about a team in Milwaukee?

The Canucks aren't big at all in Seattle. No one really cares about the NHL there. Now they would if they got a team. Look at how Seattle embraced the Sounders (Major League Soccer team). An NHL team would do just as well so being close to Vancouver isn't a concern. However the arena issue is. I believe Seattle just finished paying off a 15 year bond for the renovation of Key Arena (which was purposefully made terrible for hockey to keep NHL teams away when the NBA was still there). They are still paying taxes on CenturyLink and Safeco Fields. Bottom line is if an arena is going to be built in Seattle the money is going to have to come from private sources and no one seems to be stepping up. As things stand right now I think Portland would be more likely to get a team because they already have an NHL ready rink in the Rose Garden.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is all being done for revinue purposes. The conferences won't be unbalanced for long. Expect two expansion teams in the near future. One in the Toronto/Hamilton area and another probably in Seattle. I also expect the Coyotes to move to Quebec after this season so the Sharks will be in one of the 7 team conferences for next year.

I'm holding off judgement until I actually see it in action though.

The NHL expanding anymore would be TERRIBLE. The current teams arent even making money. Why would they even consider expanding, when they wont even relocate the broke teams?? Dumbest idea ever, even dumber then this stupid 4 conference idea. The talent level in the league is watered down enough without adding MORE teams. I was always hoping instead of relocating teams then would just get rid of the teams that cant make money and shrink the league down.

This setup is retarded beyond words. Oh but every team has the THRILL of having Crosby visit there home rink now! Joy! gag me, id rather have my 4 games of SJ vs Chi or SJ vs Det every year. Travel is now even worse for Western teams.

Im not even gonna get into this, me & my buddy who hosts a sports show on chicago radio had a lenghy discussion bout this, and he hasnt heard of 1 person who likes this idea.

100% pure garbage... All this mostly because Winnipeg didnt fit in there division? Who the fuck cares...

Oh and one final note, with the top 4 teams in each conf making the playoffs, now the top 16 BEST teams will no longer be in the playoffs. On theory you can have a conf with all 8 or 7 teams that should be in playoffs and a conf that absolutely blows and the top 4 teams are sub .500, yet they make the POs and the better teams dont...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL expanding anymore would be TERRIBLE. The current teams arent even making money. Why would they even consider expanding, when they wont even relocate the broke teams?? Dumbest idea ever, even dumber then this stupid 4 conference idea. The talent level in the league is watered down enough without adding MORE teams. I was always hoping instead of relocating teams then would just get rid of the teams that cant make money and shrink the league down.

This setup is retarded beyond words. Oh but every team has the THRILL of having Crosby visit there home rink now! Joy! gag me, id rather have my 4 games of SJ vs Chi or SJ vs Det every year. Travel is now even worse for Western teams.

Im not even gonna get into this, me & my buddy who hosts a sports show on chicago radio had a lenghy discussion bout this, and he hasnt heard of 1 person who likes this idea.

100% pure garbage... All this mostly because Winnipeg didnt fit in there division? Who the fuck cares...

Oh and one final note, with the top 4 teams in each conf making the playoffs, now the top 16 BEST teams will no longer be in the playoffs. On theory you can have a conf with all 8 or 7 teams that should be in playoffs and a conf that absolutely blows and the top 4 teams are sub .500, yet they make the POs and the better teams dont...

For only the 2nd time (first time being the Niemi-Niitty debate with Cmon), you and i are in agreement LikeWall, lol.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like the idea of expansion or not it looks like that's where the league is headed. I'm not saying I like or dislike any of what's proposed, just stating where it appers the league is headed.