• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need advice...Virus protection

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Computer security.... my SOPHOS will run out soon - so I'd like your opinions / recommendations as to what you use, or what you would recommend to a technology challenged (this moron) person to get for protection [ add condom joke here].

I posted in the General Sports forum...... and one guy said the experts are here. So....ya have some love in Hooptown, that's for sure.

I don't care if the protection is free or $$$ ... doesn't matter to me... looking for something that works obviously, and EASE OF INSTALL.... shouldn't matter, but on an HP laptop right now if curious.

Thks in advance.

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Computer security.... my SOPHOS will run out soon - so I'd like your opinions / recommendations as to what you use, or what you would recommend to a technology challenged (this moron) person to get for protection [ add condom joke here].

I posted in the General Sports forum...... and one guy said the experts are here. So....ya have some love in Hooptown, that's for sure.

I don't care if the protection is free or $$$ ... doesn't matter to me... looking for something that works obviously, and EASE OF INSTALL.... shouldn't matter, but on an HP laptop right now if curious.

Thks in advance.

What operating system is your HP running?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get the paid Malwarebytes. It's the best value in software.

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are da best.

I'll get back to you for help after I have difficulty downloading tonite or next week :)

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understand that Malwarebytes is best for removing infections and blocking some really nasty hijacks. It is not an anti-virus package however. If you want to drop your Sophos when it expires fine, go to control panel remove programs and uninstall it, then go to Microsoft and download Microsoft's free Windows Security Essentials for AV protection. It works just as good as the other free one without the ads and pestering to buy a full version. If you want a paid program I would go with Norton Internet Security. Anything but McAfee...

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thks, just looked at the pay version drop down.... it's like only $25. Geeze, that's NOTHIN' compared to the aggravation of a virus, etc... Free is nice, but I have no problem at all droppin' coin.... go with the paid version, home use?

I think that would be a good choice.

And just so you don't think I'm just blowing smoke, I am one of the IT Support people at the Manchester NH Police Department. I also worked part time at Staples as an Easy Tech

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understand that Malwarebytes is best for removing infections and blocking some really nasty hijacks. It is not an anti-virus package however. If you want to drop your Sophos when it expires fine, go to control panel remove programs and uninstall it, then go to Microsoft and download Microsoft's free Windows Security Essentials for AV protection. It works just as good as the other free one without the ads and pestering to buy a full version. If you want a paid program I would go with Norton Internet Security. Anything but McAfee...

I use the MSE / MalwareBytes combo too.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Security Essentials or Kaspersky internet security for a paid version, and yes still the paid version of Malwarebyte's anti-malware.

I've used Norton and Kaspersky for years. The latter has had fewer issues, is lighter weight (less resources), less intrusive, and rated among the tops in protection consistently.

Only machine I use Norton on anymore is the free version Comcast customers get for my wife and daughter's computer. What can I say, I'm cheap when it comes to their machines. :whistle:

Oh, and if you didn't know you can get free full norton if you have Comcast you do now. :nod:

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for the input. So...it's not 'anti-virus', just nails the problem AFTER 'infection' :noidea: ? Pretty sure Windows Security Essentials is already on the computer....is that possible? (again, I'm an idiot). I do get some 'Window's Security alerts'.

And with Sophos running out.... will I , or should I 'de-install it' if it's not active? Man, I hate to delete files I'm not SURE are just specific programs.... like ....I could crash my own system if I'm not careful. :doh:

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that would be a good choice.

And just so you don't think I'm just blowing smoke, I am one of the IT Support people at the Manchester NH Police Department. I also worked part time at Staples as an Easy Tech

How can one not trust a Bruins fan :yahoo: Bobby Orr #4 !!!:suds:

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - do you guys in general get annoyed with people like me? I mean, I was in 'Electronic Manufacturing' for over 30 years... Computer Peripherals, Inc., QYX, Decision Data, AM Communications..... as a QA Engineer/Manager/Director..... but actual applications..... AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! The IT guys to people like me were so..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shoot me (as the told me what to do, then let me watch them, then just said....this will take time.... as they are saying.....could ya leave for an hour or two) :)

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the input. So...it's not 'anti-virus', just nails the problem AFTER 'infection' :noidea: ? Pretty sure Windows Security Essentials is already on the computer....is that possible? (again, I'm an idiot). I do get some 'Window's Security alerts'.

And with Sophos running out.... will I , or should I 'de-install it' if it's not active? Man, I hate to delete files I'm not SURE are just specific programs.... like ....I could crash my own system if I'm not careful. :doh:

Well it is possible if it was on before Sophos was installed, but not really smart because 2 AV programs running at the same time make a big hit on system performance. If MSE is installed there will be an icon for it in the start menu. (Looks like a blue fortress with a flag).

Malwarebytes paid version does come with real time protection against PUPs and Trojans but its real strength is removing those that get by most, if not all, AV programs.

You won't remove any files that are essential for Windows if you use control panel remove programs to remove Sophos, the uninstall app will only remove the files necessary for that application, though the uninstall of most apps leave a lot of garbage behind in the registry. You can download Revo Uninstaller to take care of that and use it instead of control panel.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

Make sure to get the free version... :D

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - do you guys in general get annoyed with people like me? I mean, I was in 'Electronic Manufacturing' for over 30 years... Computer Peripherals, Inc., QYX, Decision Data, AM Communications..... as a QA Engineer/Manager/Director..... but actual applications..... AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! The IT guys to people like me were so..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shoot me (as the told me what to do, then let me watch them, then just said....this will take time.... as they are saying.....could ya leave for an hour or two) :)

I used to write software and always thought hardware people were just another part of the process but not as smart as us software people. :D

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, those Windows security alerts are the standard Windows security updates that happen the 2nd Tuesday of every month...

That makes sense, thks.