• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ned Rice added to FO. MacPhail brings in another young protege

Frizzle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this earlier today,

MacPhail became team president of the Orioles in 2007, when Rice was being promoted yet again, this time to the analytics department. His hiring seems to be yet another indication of the Phillies' modern new direction. According to a Baltimore Sun articlefrom October 2014 - and John Stolnis and I were just talking about this on TGP Radio so it's extremely validating to see it here in real life - Rice, operating with Dan Duqette, emphasized a blending of old and new school stats and analytics instead of picking one or the other and stubbornly sticking to it regardless of the outcome.

Behind the scenes, Duquette's front office relies on a range of contributors, from old-school scouts who gauge talent by watching players compete to younger executives adept at the statistics-driven approach captured in "Moneyball," the best-selling book and motion picture.

"While the game's going on, behind the scenes, we're trying to make sure we're already ahead, we're OK for the next day," said Ned Rice, another young exec.

And MacPhail himself cited Rice as his personal steward into the realm of analytics after being hired by the Phillies.

"It has always been part of everywhere that I've been. It's obviously become more sophisticated over time. There is a lot of stuff I don't understand. I used to make poor Ned Rice in Baltimore come up and explain everything to me. I would say 'What about this nonsense?' And he would explain to me that I was old and dumb and needed to understand these things."

Anyone unconvinced that the Phillies were all in on the game's newer measuring sticks - and why would you be at this point, with the PHIL supercomputer already built - has to see further proof in MacPhail surrounding himself with the math wizards who helped him initially modernize his own understanding of player evaluation.
Source (Andy MacPhail continues to call former cronies to join him with Phillies)

CLIFFS: Ned Rice 32 to join McPhail and Klentak in front office. Using both old school scouting methods and new school money ball analytics.

With 48 days to go before the start of sprint training. I am glad to see that 2 of the 4 Philly franchises are headed in the right direction. Tho, we might not see a playoff appearance till 2017 for either team.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another smart move in the right direction!