• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Nebraska @ Fresno State -- Game 3

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DP - EL gives us the first threat at PR since 2011 with ameer.

I'm going to keep saying this he needs package plays on offense.

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did this game make you feel better, worse or the same about the up coming miami game?

aqwk68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still a bit concerned. While we had some good plays, we also had a lot of inconsistent play. TA still needs to work on his short throws and for the life of me, I can't figure out why he doesn't take the dump out to the backs more often. Seems like he's always trying for the big play. The defense will face it's first real challenge against Miami in my opinion so we'll see how they do. I'm optimistic they will do well, but I would like to see a bit more pressure on the qb. I think if we come out an establish the tone we will be fine, if we come out on ours heels, we'll I think we will be in trouble.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did this game make you feel better, worse or the same about the up coming miami game?

I feel 'a little' better about the Miami game.

It's not so much 'this game' because I'm still concerned about how Nebraska plays up-front on both sides of the ball. Particularly the O-line being self destructive. They're just not crisp. The Miami game will expose that more than any game they've played thus far. Additionally Nebraska gets the heads-in-the-clouds syndrome after wins like this.

What makes me feel a 'little better' is how FAU blasted Tulsa (50-21). FAU's 2 losses were on the road by similar margins to Nebraska (7-55) and Alabama (0-41).

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

The Miami game is where we're gonna start to figure out how this season should go for us. This will be the first time we see 4-star talent and speed.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still a bit concerned. While we had some good plays, we also had a lot of inconsistent play. TA still needs to work on his short throws and for the life of me, I can't figure out why he doesn't take the dump out to the backs more often. Seems like he's always trying for the big play. The defense will face it's first real challenge against Miami in my opinion so we'll see how they do. I'm optimistic they will do well, but I would like to see a bit more pressure on the qb. I think if we come out an establish the tone we will be fine, if we come out on ours heels, we'll I think we will be in trouble.

I'm not so sure Beck trusts that his O-line isn't going to shoot itself in the foot on a long drive.

Also, the mark of a good team is big plays. The old Osborne teams of the 90's made a lot of big plays.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do throw a ton of deep balls.

But it's obvious those are dialed up by Beck up in the booth.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel really comfortable with Tommy throwing down field though. Actually every time he drops back I feel like something good is about to happen.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Louisville losing @ Virginia yesterday makes things even more confusing. Virginia's loss was at home to UCLA who struggled with Texas yesterday.

Like any Pelini team from week to week, Nebraska needs to prevent beating itself.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus Newby and Lane Hovey impressed me. DPE did what I thought he could do. Cethan Carter caught a TD pass. Offensive line might not be as good as I thought they were in week 1.

Marcus Newby seemed to cause a lot of havoc on the pass rush.

Lane Hovey never, ever heard anything about him or of him.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hovey ran great routes.

Separated himself from defenders, had great hands and acceleration after the catch.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marcus Newby and Lane Hovey impressed me. DPE did what I thought he could do. Cethan Carter caught a TD pass. Offensive line might not be as good as I thought they were in week 1.

Marcus Newby seemed to cause a lot of havoc on the pass rush.

Lane Hovey never, ever heard anything about him or of him.

I have the feeling that we won't see Lane Hovey against Miami, which would be crazy since he catches the ball pretty well and runs good routes.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no game review thread, so just coming in to catch up with you guys.

Our O-line needs work. I just don't get it, where are the holes for our rushing attack? This was Fresno state, how did we not get more yardage, you take away Ameer's 57yd TD, Cross's 62 yd TD and a 27yd run by Armstrong and you are left with: 39 carries for 134 yards (3.4 avg.) That's not good at all and won't cut it against Miami.

Armstrong - still needs to work on his check downs. As aqwk68 said above, hit the damn back out of the backfield. I was yelling at the screen multiple times for him to throw out to the flat to Newby or Abdullah. Guys were wide open out there and instead he'd force a throw to someone not open. Also, was watching out WR routes a little more during this game and there were multiple times where they just didn't make sense. I wish I could give exact plays, but I remember multiple plays were 3 WRs were running vertical routes and the other 2 routes were shorter sideline routes. Where is the crossing route under the vertical routes? Where are any crossing routes in our offense? Teams run that against our man to man all the time, yet I hardly ever see that from Beck.

Defensively, great to see #4 back out there. man might not get a ton of tackles but just having him out there made a huge difference to the other guys. Also, Fresno was playing really dirty, I thought for sure he was going to re-injure that knee with the way they kept diving at it. Also great to see the young/new guys get some playing time, Keels, Kalu and others all being out there, should help down the road. Multiple people made the mistake on that 66yd QB keeper, the main one to me was Keels (at least I think that's who was on that end at the time). He committed to early to the RB who wasn't even running to his side, if he would have given the QB a "give" read, that play probably would have been TFL or a short gain.

ST - nothing to say, played a lot better. I said it in the other thread, I don't really blame Santos for that batting, ok maybe a little for the fact he hit it at all, but I just don't think he knew it was a punt.

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^i agree, BUT

I don't think you can say "if you take away ameers big run and Tommy's big run"

Cause it's becoming clearly obvious that their big runs are going to happen once or twice a game

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^i agree, BUT

I don't think you can say "if you take away ameers big run and Tommy's big run"

Cause it's becoming clearly obvious that their big runs are going to happen once or twice a game

Not sure they will happen every game, but Fresno was selling out and leaving themselves open to the big play. If they don't play the way they do, we might not get the big play, but we also are more effective on the shorter plays. Good discussion about that on 1620 this morning.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but are those big runs going to happen? big runs can be 3 things, awesome blocking by our o-line / a breakdown by the defense / an awesome play by the RB. based on our crappy o-line play against both McNeese and this Fresno game, I'd say it's either of the last two. a few times it would be Ameer making a play, but I think a breakdown on defense is more likely just because of how the run has been bottled up with the exception of the few big plays.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The long runs are a result of the O-Line. Period. Hell, that run Hulk had the hole was so big that my fat ass could have gained some yards. As someone mentioned, Fresno sold out to stop the run. When a defense does that you cannot expect to churn out 5+ YPC on every play. You can expect to pop a few long ones on occasion.

Was the o-line play stellar? Hardly. But they did an adequate job over all.