• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: National Championship Game - UNC vs. Villanova

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The inbounder was the shooter. He was never guarded.

Yes...that was my point.

The reason he got lost is that they didn't put a guy on the inbounder.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please watch the replay. He jogged down the court and shot a three. Yes, arcidiacano gave it to him in a good spot and was able to screen off Meeks and Berry but they weren't guarding him in the first place. He literally jogged down the court and shot a three.

He didn't just "jog down". Arcidiacano obviously expected him there trailing the play. It was a nice play and he did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Watch where he runs.

He runs about 3/4 of the court long and also half the court width wise (he starts on one side of the basket and shoots from the other) and he gets there in about 3.5 seconds. That's more than simple jogging.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch where he runs.

He runs about 3/4 of the court long and also half the court width wise (he starts on one side of the basket and shoots from the other) and he gets there in about 3.5 seconds. That's more than simple jogging.

That was a great play they dialed up. Arcidiacono did an awesome job of pushing the ball but he made sure that he was right where he needed to be. Carolina screwed up by not trapping hard, get the ball out of his hands, and let someone else make the big decision. Still, they dialed one up that put Carolina's defenders in a position to make some split second choices and they didn't respond. People are going to bash their defense but it was a case where assertive beat passive. Great play and great execution.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 4.5 seconds you'd have to think a little pressure would run the clock and Villanova throws up a desperation shot. Get to overtime, etc. Instead, Carolina backed off and contained, afraid that Nova would try and get to the rim and maybe draw a foul. Plenty of time to get a good look and shot.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't just "jog down". Arcidiacano obviously expected him there trailing the play. It was a nice play and he did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Watch where he runs.

Semantics. He ran down the court and hit an open three. It's not like he was sprinting down the court and shot an off balanced three on the run. He did what he was supposed to do and hit a clutch shot. Congrats.

Let's give him credit for making the shot, but no need to credit him with getting himself open when it was just a basic play. Archie deserves credit for finding him and screening the defense too.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a breakdown of what happened:

DraftExpress: Breaking Down Kris Jenkins' Buzzer Beater vs North Carolina

Like i said, alot of it was because they chose not to guard the inbounder (prevent the long pass) and then Brice Johnson stayed in the paint (likely fearing the Scottie Reynolds play from 09).

The part that I missed was that Booth was also wide open on the play.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with their premise.

This was was called quite well IMO. Maybe tighter than than almost any game in the tournament, but correct as called by the rulebook.

Frankly the travels they're referring to should've been fouls. The bump caused the travel. So instead, the refs called neither and let it play on.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only was able to see the first half (went to bed) and from what I saw the calls were fairly even and a decently officiated game.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiners and poor losers.

Why would the refs and NCAA favor Villanova?

The NCAA already did UNC a HUGE favor by keeping Villanova out of their region, where the final was in Philadelphia, in a building we consider home, and admitted so point blank. Almost every bracketologist had Villanova as the 2 in the East, yet the NCAA put us in the South.

At best, Villanova is marginally better than UNC, but in Philly, we'd have beat them.

Last edited:

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiners and poor losers.

The NCAA already did UNC a HUGE favor by keeping Villanova out of their region, where the final was in Philadelphia, in a building we consider home, and admitted so point blank. Almost every bracketologist had Villanova as the 2 in the East, yet the NCAA put us in the South.

At best, Villanova is marginally better than UNC, but in Philly, we'd have beat them.

I've seen it all my life jones.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I'm jonesing from college hoops withdrawl...

The Nets are down 35 points to the Pacers in what has to be some of the most uninspired basketball I've ever watched.

Hardly a substitute... :L

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiners and poor losers.

Does this make up for Nova gettinf shamelessly screwed in 2005??

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this make up for Nova gettinf shamelessly screwed in 2005??

Heh. I'm not sure if we could have beat that team, but it was a bad call, yea.

Whoever would have imagined that with all the studs Carolina had, Kyle Lowry was going to be the best player on that floor, by far.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. I'm not sure if we could have beat that team, but it was a bad call, yea.

Whoever would have imagined that with all the studs Carolina had, Kyle Lowry was going to be the best player on that floor, by far.

You did. Lowry hit that contested 3 right after that. It's game over there.