• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Name the breweries

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name the good breweries of the state that you currently reside. I'll start with Alabama:

• Good People Brewing Company -One of my favorites, I've had just about all they offer and I've drank at their brewery. It is a great place.
  • Avondale Brewing Company
  • Back Forty Beer Company

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. Gotta start with my employer. Sorry for the bias, but the medals speak for themselves.

La Cumbre Brewing Co. 2011 Great American Beer Festival Gold in IPA, Silver in Stout, Gold in American Standard Lager. 2012 World Beer Cup Silver in Barley Wine, Silver in Stout, Bronze in IPA.

Marble Brewing Co. Very nice. Biggest of the craft breweries in the state. State wide bottling distribution as well as draft accounts around Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Sierra Blanca (not to be confused with Sierra Nevada). Biggest brewery in the state, with the most widespread distribution. Roswell Alien Amber is their flagship beer. Not the best, but because of their size, they get mention.

Santa Fe Brewing Co. Nice beers. Nothing overly special, but they are nice.

Chama River. They're a restaurant with a brewery built inside. No distribution to speak of, but they make some great beers. Birthplace of Marble and La Cumbre, as both head brewers got started at Chama River.

Il Vicino Brewery. Another big Micro Brewery, but with fairly limited distribution. They have racked up a ton of medals at both the GABF and WBC, though.

That's about it. There are others, but none worth mentioning in a "name the good breweries" thread.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Oklahoma there are a number of small breweries in the state. Microbrew have really taken off the past 5 years. It's pretty cool to see and experience. Some of the more popular ones that have packaged products available as well as things available on tap.

COOP - COOP Ale Works
Choc - http://www.chocbeer.com/
Marshall - Marshall Brewing
Mustang - Welcome to Mustang Brewing Company - HOME

But, some brewies that have developed their own beer to come in and dine/drink is the Bricktown Brewery, Royal Bravaria, Belle Isle, Coach's...to name a few.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have tried beers from these microbrewries in VA, they all have good beers.

Legend Brewing Company, Richmond
Starr Hill, Crozet -- has a killer Imperial IPA "Double Platinum"
Devil's Backbone, Nelson/Lexington-- a really good IPA and Vienna, has some award winning beers
Roanoke Railhouse, Roanoke
Big Daddy's Brewing, Roanoke -- a local brewpup that does not distribute (yet?). They have a great Nut Brown and APA. Right now, only the locals get to experience their beers which is a fresh as it gets..

there are several others I would like to try...

Wolf Hills, Abingdon -- work in the area (3 hours away)every once in a blue moon, will definitely visit next time I am there.
Blue Mountain, Afton -- has its own Hop farm, heard they have some great beer
James River, Scottsville
Wild Wolf, Nelson

There are also some others, as well as cideries and meaderies in the state that I have not tried. I am typically just a beer guy. ALOT of vineyards in the state as well. The climate here is optimum for grapes and pretty good for hops as well. May have to try and grow me some...

Although I have had a great appreciation for good beer for awhile, I have yet to tour any type of commercial brewery. Recently Sierra Nevada was VERY close to setting up its first East Coast commercial brewery and brewpub right here where I live. We had it, but at the last minute Asheville NC flew them in and swept them right off their feet. It was a little bit disappointing for me. The craft breweries are really starting to take off here in Virginia in the last recent years. Myself, my brother, and some friends are trying to plan a weekend "man" trip to go to some of these places in the Charlottesville area (Blue Mountain, Starr Hill, JR, Wild Wolf, and Devils's Backbone are all within an hour of one another). Coincidently they have some really nice Golf Courses and some OK Skiing in that area too.

Breweries | VA Beer Trail

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have never had a Starr Hill beer that I enjoyed...

Legend is really good
Williamsburg Alewerks is decent
Beach Brewing Co. - Virginia Beach has some very good brews
O'Connor Brewing Co. - Norfolk - Norfolk Canyon Pale Ale is my beer of choice right now, Red Nun Red Ale is great also
Bull & Bones Brewhaus - Blacksburg

those are the ones i've had and liked...ones i've had and are not so big on:
Starr Hill
St George

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have never had a Starr Hill beer that I enjoyed...

Legend is really good
Williamsburg Alewerks is decent
Beach Brewing Co. - Virginia Beach has some very good brews
O'Connor Brewing Co. - Norfolk - Norfolk Canyon Pale Ale is my beer of choice right now, Red Nun Red Ale is great also
Bull & Bones Brewhaus - Blacksburg

those are the ones i've had and liked...ones i've had and are not so big on:
Starr Hill
St George

Starr Hill Mojo Lager is pretty good. Their Double IPA is by far their best beer IMO. Their Christmas beer sucks.."The Gift" I think is what it is called.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll follow wartyone's lead and start with my employer, sorry for the bias, and most of you won't agree, but MillerCoors, like warty said, the medals speak for themselves.

Also in Milwaukee is Lakefront Brewery, they have a fish fry every Friday that you can enter after taking the tour.

Out West there is New Glarus, they have a lot of pretty good brews, but are probably best known for Spotted Cow, however they only distribute in Wisconsin and have no plans to change that I know of.

In Madison there is Capital Brewery, they make a Winter seasonal that is very good called Winter Skal.

In Chippewa Falls there is Leinenkugel's, probably best known for Summer Shandy, but their Big Eddy line is far and away their best beers.

In my hometown of Kenosha, there have been 2 small brewpubs open in the last few months, Rustic Road and Public Craft Brewing Company, RR is ok, but Public has an American Pale Ale that is close to the best APA I have had, but in honesty, that isn't a lot, still a good beer though.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll follow wartyone's lead and start with my employer, sorry for the bias, and most of you won't agree, but MillerCoors, like warty said, the medals speak for themselves.

Also in Milwaukee is Lakefront Brewery, they have a fish fry every Friday that you can enter after taking the tour.

Out West there is New Glarus, they have a lot of pretty good brews, but are probably best known for Spotted Cow, however they only distribute in Wisconsin and have no plans to change that I know of.

In Madison there is Capital Brewery, they make a Winter seasonal that is very good called Winter Skal.

In Chippewa Falls there is Leinenkugel's, probably best known for Summer Shandy, but their Big Eddy line is far and away their best beers.

In my hometown of Kenosha, there have been 2 small brewpubs open in the last few months, Rustic Road and Public Craft Brewing Company, RR is ok, but Public has an American Pale Ale that is close to the best APA I have had, but in honesty, that isn't a lot, still a good beer though.

who makes spotted cow? I had that when I was up ther a few years ago. Good beer.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
who makes spotted cow? I had that when I was up ther a few years ago. Good beer.

New Glarus Brewing, they also make Fat Squirrel, Two Women, Totally Naked, then they also have their seasonal brews. Like I said though they only distribute to Wisconsin. They actually sued a bar owner in NYC a few years back because he came to Wisconsin, bought 2 kegs and went back to NYC and was selling it out of his bar. They weren't trying to be pricks, but they got buttslammed by Illinois back in 2002 I think it was when they distributed to Chicago for a little while. So no more out of state.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweetwater
Atlanta Brewing Company
Terrapin
Copper Creek

All I can think of off the top of my head in GA

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Glarus Brewing, they also make Fat Squirrel, Two Women, Totally Naked, then they also have their seasonal brews. Like I said though they only distribute to Wisconsin. They actually sued a bar owner in NYC a few years back because he came to Wisconsin, bought 2 kegs and went back to NYC and was selling it out of his bar. They weren't trying to be pricks, but they got buttslammed by Illinois back in 2002 I think it was when they distributed to Chicago for a little while. So no more out of state.

As I said before, they have some very nice beers. Been lucky enough that a co-worker has family up there and goes up once or twice a year. I have tried the Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, and my favorite Moon Man. Wish they would go out of state..

hawkeyedan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millstream Brewery, Peace Tree Brewery, there may be others that I either cann't remember or just that I'm not aware of. :think:

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to throw Port City in for Virginia. It's located in Alexandria and my local dive bar has it on tap. Their IPA is actually pretty darn good.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever heard of "The Cannon, Brewpub?"

Not off hand. Do you know where it's at in GA? I'll have to check it out or see if they have any tours if it's any good

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not off hand. Do you know where it's at in GA? I'll have to check it out or see if they have any tours if it's any good

It's in Columbus. I'm in a brewing class, and one of my classmates worked there until she moved up to New York in August.