• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My thoughts on the draft

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The success of this draft will be determined by whether anyone drafted after the second round can make a meaningful contribution.
And i think anyone who says they know who will is blowing smoke.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deerpath dave doesn't like the opinions of anyone who doesn't fellate the Eagles.

The Poster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always love when one of you guys says you 'watched tape' on a player. What the hell is that? A few YouTube highlight clips? You are mocking educated position coaches and scouts who spent hundreds of hours watching real game tape (and know what to look for). You can often see more about a player watching what he does on plays where the ball is nowhere near him.

You are spot on with this...I have a friend who played college ball and a couple of seasons back in the day with Bill Arnsberger and the Dolphins. He shared with me one day the proper techniques for blocking. Everything from where your feet had to be in relation to the person being blocked as well as you hands, body, head, shoulders. It was very involved. I realized I can watch tape but I am going to miss a lot of things that the pros are looking at as well.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My long and boring Draft Grade.

RD 1. In this situation I had thought we could take Perriman or trade down, collect some extra picks and still land either Agholor or D.Smith in the late first. It's obvious that Agholor is a perfect fit on this team: on the field he is extremely versatile -- he can play inside, outside and on ST as an explosive return man. He run pro routes with ease, has great hands, makes big plays, AND blocks. Off the field he is the prototypical Chip Kelly culture player -- high football IQ, intense work ethic, leader type, team-first player, "growth-minded". I completely understand them staying put at #20 and taking the guy who fits best into their scheme and culture. Grade: A

RD 2. The guy almost all of us have been banging the drum for in the 2nd round. Rey and I both had us trading up a little bit in the 2nd round to grab Eric Rowe in our Mocks. Perfect fit as a press-man corner in our scheme, who can also play Safety. Height/Weight/Speed athletic beast to boot. Once again, a Chip Kelly culture guy. Great trade up deal that saved our 4th round pick. Grade: A+

RD 3. Where my happiness turned into disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I like Jordan Hicks. I think he can develop into a very sound ILB who can make big plays at times. He's got good (not great) length at 6'1 with 32 inch arms. At 236lbs, he still has the frame to grow and I think he will get up to around 240-245lbs in the NFL in the future. While he's not an elite athlete, he is still possess pretty good athleticism. He is an extremely intelligent kid on and off the field. On the Field his football IQ is similar to DeMeco Ryans -- they both can make the calls, align their teammates and QB the defense. They're leader type players with tremendous work ethic and that rubs off on their teammates. He's not a great talent in the way I view Mychal Kendricks and Kiko though. Hicks has dealt with injuries in the past as well, and that is definitely another concern -- though the Eagles doctors felt more than fine with Hicks, and I have to trust their judgment… for now. My biggest problem, to me, is that Mychal Kendricks is a VERY good player who has gotten better and better every single year. The kid is a playmaker and makes some really good plays for us -- he's becoming more consistent. In my eyes, he's a future stud! Why everyone is in such a rush to trade him, baffles me 100%. With Kiko, Kendricks, an extended DeMeco Ryans, Brad Jones, Naaje Goode…and despite Hicks being a nice 3rd round prospect, why are we drafting him? I would've understood if we didn't get Kiko -- before that happened we all wanted another ILB like Eric Kendricks, Denzel Perryman, etc. The only thing I see is, that the coaching staff is content with walking away from Mychal Kendricks, and this is the point I do not understand for the life of me. I've been very understanding of every single move Chip has made this off-season, but if the plan is to move without Kendricks I simply can not fathom that. Is it similar to the Jeremy Maclin situation -- where we really like a player, but can't meet eye to eye with his contract demands? Kendricks doesn't strike me as a Djax type punk, so I don't see us wanting to move away from him because of anything like that. Due to this, the overall grade I give in this round is D+…..Maybe a C- since I agree Hicks is a nice 3rd round prospect at the position.

RD 4. With the board being as depleted as it was, especially at OL, and since we decided to pick an ILB in the 3rd -- I completely understand and like the fact we traded our 4th rounder for a future 3rd. Very smart draft strategy as you can find much better talent in the 3rd than you can in the 4th. It's also more important since we will be without a 2nd next year. Overall grade: A

RD 6. JaCorey Sheppard is looking like a very good value in the 6th round. I like this kids game and he has a chance to outplay his draft positioning a good deal. Very nice pick and it's obvious we needed to add at least 2 DBs in this draft. Another Chip Kelly culture guy…noticing the theme here? Grade A-

RD 6. Randall Evans is a solid pick in the 6th round. He has experience at Safety, outside CB and slot CB. Has nice upside that could turn out to be a contributor in the future. We needed a lot of DB competition and this will help that. Good kid as well. Grade B-

RD 7. Know nothing about this kid yet but he monster size at 6'9 302lbs and real solid athletic numbers with a 4.89 40, 35 1/2 inch vertical and 10'02 broad jump -- all which are crazy for a man his size. We're deep at DL but this kid is a physical specimen, why not take a flier. 7th round is the biggest crapshoot anyway. Grade B

If we snagged a nice OL prospect in the 3rd this draft would've been absolutely fantastic. The fact we overloaded the ILB position probably means Kendricks is a goner at some point -- which is very upsetting. I like the rest of the draft and I like the talent/potential and character of the kids we drafted. I think it's important to notice the type of quality players we're drafting. I said this last year as well. For future mocks, any player with character concerns should be completely erased off our board.

Overall Grade: B

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deerpath dave doesn't like the opinions of anyone who doesn't fellate the Eagles.

Lol. I don't hate the opinions, just the attitude that some have that think they are smarter. Like we should be "grading" how they did? 1 day after they did it? Really? Its so ludicrous! By taking this smarter than thou attitude your missing a real good opportunity to understand this team, coach and GM better.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I don't hate the opinions, just the attitude that some have that think they are smarter. Like we should be "grading" how they did? 1 day after they did it? Really? Its so ludicrous! By taking this smarter than thou attitude your missing a real good opportunity to understand this team, coach and GM better.

But who thinks they are smarter? I don't see anyone proclaiming that or even acting like that. It looks to me as though some of us just have strong opinions. It makes for good discussions.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But who thinks they are smarter? I don't see anyone proclaiming that or even acting like that. It looks to me as though some of us just have strong opinions. It makes for good discussions.

The whole idea of "Grading" a draft is like a teacher does to a student, or a coach does to a player. Yet here we are as the novices grading the experts? Not to mention also that its not at all accurate to grade a draft for several years.

Funk

All The Football
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People pissing and moaning all the time doesn't make for good discussions, just tiresome reading.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B4L:
Nice job grading. Your total points were 600, and dividing by 7 = 85, which is a solid B.
My stance on this is that chip was not drafting for need, but BPA. So, since ILB was deficient in the past, he added much needed depth. His issue with Kendricks (who we all love) is size; injuries; and may want more $$ than he's worth to Chip, so he's planning for the future if MK leaves and Demeco gets hurt, or doesn't have much left; injury to Kiko; and be in a position to have Kiko and Hicks hopefully for a long time.
I am impressed with the character of all these picks.
I give them a solid A. And, with the UDA's, I predict that 2 of the OL will make the team, and upgrade the depth.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part of sports is having an opinion. Right wrong on indifferent. Nobody knows anyone's background on a message board. I could be AL Bundy who scored 4td's in one game in high school or I could be a former NFL scout, or just some schmoo who loves the game of football and has been following all his life. We just don't know. A lot of us have been posting for a long time together. Sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong about draft picks. I enjoy reading everyone's opinion. We have a lot of strong opinion people here that is what makes this so great. However, have an opinion, just following the team blindly to me is not real exciting.

I don't think this was a particularly good draft after the first two picks, which I clearly liked. That is my opinion. I hope Chip is right, I really do, I would love to say nothing more than I was wrong. Trading completely out of rounds, not drafting for over 100 picks usually spells bad drafts. I like what they got in round 6, but lets face it, you are going to find many more Marvin McNutts than Jason Kelce in round 6. I just don't think they got enough help in this draft. I don't count UDFA in my draft grades either. Its about who you draft, how you draft.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O Ye of little faith, Taz. Haven't some of us learned from Howie and Andy, not to draft for need? You need to draft the BPA, especially in areas of need, not the other way around. Nate Allen v.s Earl Thomas, who we know was the perfect pick, but Reid wanted to "throw more fastballs", in Graham. Danny Watkins, because he was a man v.s boys @ Baylor, because he was 26 years old v.s 20 year old opponents. Jacquin (sp) Jarrett? And on, and on. Daniel Neo'Nesheim, etc. Off the top of my head, there are many. many others like these examples. I'm sure Rey, Wings, and B4L can rattle off many others.
Jordan Hicks was by far the BPA on the Eagles' board, so they didn't pass him up to take a lesser rated OL. If Kendricks gets traded, and Demeco doesn't hold up physically, we would not have very good replacements, hence Hicks.
In addition to the picks, we got many undrafted free agents, and I believe that several will make the team. Is Chip doing a makeover? You bet he is.

I give Chip an A-, and will upgrade to an A+, if we get La'el Collins.

Keep the faith, until proven otherwise.

So when the Eagles took Agholor in round 1 they didn't draft for need? How about when they traded up to get Rowe in round 2, not a need. Teams draft for needs all the time and when they don't they use the BPA line. And the other thing is teams may take a player in a position that is not a perceived need but the drafted player is usually better than the player they are replacing. You can't tell me Hicks is better than Alonzo, Mufusa or Kendricks because he isn't.
Some of the best drafting teams in history fill their needs in the draft. In fact if you are not filling needs in the draft tell me how then you are filling them? Free Agency we all saw how that worked out in 2011. ILB was not a need.

Let me ask you this, lets say Mathis decides not to report and at this point the way Kelly is talking about him that is a very good possibility, who starts at LG? How about Mathis does report but one of the starters get hurt, who is replacing them? David Molk who is just happy to be there? An UDFA from Nebraska-Kearney

Come on now, they signed Brad Jones, they traded for Alonzo, they are getting back Mufusa and they have Kendricks, that is the strongest ILB corp on football and then you add a 3rd round pick to boot to it. Overkill

Now if they do get La'el Collins then that changes the whole outlook and I do think they have a very good chance to get him (if he is cleared of any wrong doing). They had him in for a visit, they are a winning team with a dynamic offense, that likes to run the ball and they can offer him a chance to start right away at G.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the first two rounds I really didn't care too much for the rest of the picks except for the dbs. Really didn't like the 3rd rounder, not with some offensive lineman available. Obviously they didn't like them. B- for me with a chance to improve of course.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All we know is what Chip says...right? You either believe him or not.
How do we know that Agholor was not their highest player @ #20?
And Hicks @ #84? We don't. All I know is that I trust in Chip until he proves me wrong.That's it.
Oh, and UDFA's ARE a part of the draft process.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone want to bet that none of the CB's are given a true shot at S? It's one of the biggest excuses for safety given, and never happens.

Once again, I think Chip's original plan went to hell in a hand basket. he is not getting what he wants in the NFL. But he moved around and did well. All we can really judge it by is potential from what we see at this point. The real grade will be given 2 years from now. I have not been a fan of drafting a WR in the 1st, but thought it was definitely needed this year and a perfect year to do it. As far as some fell - I wish we could have traded up and gotten Kevin white instead. I would have gone after that harder than MM. But I still love the player we came away with. Overall a B. Potential for a B+ but not likely to fall below a C+. Safe draft.

On another note - which do you see as playing the outside, and which the slot between our new WR and Matthews given 2 years?

sidenote: I think the Tebow pickup is the dumbest pickup given his history and the quality of coaches that gave him legitimate tries (belichick in particular). But nothing wrong with kicking the tires. I just hope he is also as smart as belichick and kicks him to the curb if he doesn't see what he needs to see - instead of keeping him around and trying to force something that isn't there. Will tell a bit about CK. I doubt that Bradford and sanchez both get hurt tho regardless.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the guy wondering about moving Kendricks to S...:doh:

Yep. Its what good Defensive Coordinators do is find ways to put their best 11 on the field. Fact is Kendricks is bigger, faster and more agile than every Safety the Eagles have. Seems a shame to leave him on the sideline. Call it what you will, a 5 LB set, single Safety, whatever.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

or a guy grading a girl that walks by... it's just that person's opinion. I think your taking the 'smarter than anyone else' WAY out of proportion. Grading is merely a means of boiling it down to something simple and measureable. And we all have different measurables. I don't see it nearly as 'elitist' as your making it out to be.

Further, I do not think that grading it means that we cannot ALSO use the evidence of what the coach did to make conclusions about what he values and try to learn who he is. Because you do one, doesn't mean you cannot do the other. I don't see the missed opportunity.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or a guy grading a girl that walks by... it's just that person's opinion. I think your taking the 'smarter than anyone else' WAY out of proportion. Grading is merely a means of boiling it down to something simple and measureable. And we all have different measurables. I don't see it nearly as 'elitist' as your making it out to be.

Further, I do not think that grading it means that we cannot ALSO use the evidence of what the coach did to make conclusions about what he values and try to learn who he is. Because you do one, doesn't mean you cannot do the other. I don't see the missed opportunity.

Fair enough.

Susky

Better late than never
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do get some amusement out of the folks who get all up in arms when the team doesn't select the player(s) that seemed like a perfect fit. (And also the professional talking heads who pick apart every nuance of the draft.)

I certainly had some favorites in the draft, and while it's disappointing when they don't get selected by my team, I'm not going to get upset and go into doom-and-gloom mode. I've also learned that what you think is a great choice early on might not shake out like you expected. Face it...it's a crap shoot. And like with a lot of things in this league, it's rarely as good or as bad as you think it is. I'm more than happy to see how it works on the field. (And then I can piss and moan about missed opportunities...LOL.)