• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Own way too early 2014 preseason top 25

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mostly a guess at this point, but oh well

1. Florida State- the threat of losing a lot of good juniors to the NFL looms, but this threat exists with a lot of teams below them too.
2. Oklahoma- this I feel is a risky ranking, but if Oklahoma can play like they did their last two games, and Trevor Knight has truly found his footing in college football, they will be challengers for the national championship.
3. Auburn- I think Tre Mason is gone, he's a junior running back coming off a big year, these days he has to declare. With that being said there's a lot returning for Auburn, I just wonder how long this offense is attainable, will defenses start to figure it out, like Oregon after 2010?
4. UCLA- yes I'm very high on the Bruins for this next year, I think Hundley is in for a big year, plus Myles Jack is a very good playmaker for them, UCLA is going to be tough to contend with in the Pac-12
5. Oregon- Mariota was slowed by an injury late in the year when Oregon was downed twice, hopefully for Oregon that excuse is actually what slowed them down, I do think some of the Pac-12 is figuring them out, plus the losses on defense are a concern.
6. Alabama- Alabama figures to always be up at the top, but they did lose their leaders on defense and offense, who will replace McCarron? these days a good quarterback is key, how the new QB plays will determine Alabama's season.
7. Stanford- Stanford's tough defense will lose a lot of starters, but David Shaw is recruiting very well. If Hogan is more consistent this could be a good year for Stanford.
8. Michigan State- Michigan State is a dangerous team now that they have found a quarterback to pair with their tough defense, big question here is how do they replace the offensive linemen they lose?
9. Ohio State- Ohio State returns Miller which is very important, plus its another year under Urban Meyer so the offense should be very good despite the loss of Carlos Hyde, big question here is how will the defense be fixed? They still haven't fired their defensive coordinator, who might be the worst coordinator of any of these teams in my top 10.
10. Baylor- Baylor really had a breakthrough year this year, finally winning the Big 12 and making a BCS bowl, though they faded down the stretch, the listless bowl performance really took a lot of shine off a good year.
11. Arizona State- The front 7 will encounter some losses on this team, but other than that they return most everyone, after a very strong season, despite the awful bowl performance.
12. Nebraska- the strong ending over Georgia and the fact that Pelini has yet to have a meltdown, shows that maybe 2014 will be his year. Their QBs got a lot of experience when Martinez was hurt this year so this will pay dividends now, Abdullah is a great running back who I think is set for a great year, and the defense might finally be close to what you expect from a Nebraska defense.
13. Georgia- this might be a bit high, but Georgia was riddled with injuries this year, usually these injury plagued teams see a huge step up in performance the following year.
14. LSU- Once again LSU is already seeing a mass exodus of players to the draft, with this happening it looks like LSU will be around 15th for most of the year again.
15. Washington- I'm a big believer in Petersen obviously, sure he's a new head coach this year but he inherits a very talented team, even though he must replace Price.
16. Wisconsin- the Wisconsin offense will be rolling again, especially with the surprise return of Melvin Gordon which is huge for the Badgers, only question is how will they replace the lost defensive starters?
17. Notre Dame- Notre Dame's defense took a big hit with some of their best players on that side declaring, offensive line will lose their best guy too, but they get Everett Golston back assuming all goes well academically, which is huge.
18. Duke- yes Duke, they aren't going to lose a lot of players from this team that just came off probably the most successful season in their football history. I'm surprised no one's ranking them, yes they're Duke but Cutcliffe is still the coach.
19. Kansas State- last season didn't look so good when they opened it up with a loss to a FCS school, turned out it was perhaps the best FCS team ever fielded that beat them, and Kansas State recovered to have a good year, now with a lot of starters back Snyder could work his magic again.
20. Missouri- they're coming off a very successful season in which they made the SEC championship and won the Cotton bowl, now we'll see how they build on it, Maty Mauk will replaces James Franklin just fine, but Henry Josey has declared for the draft and some offensive linemen are gone, 3 of their best defensive playmakers are gone too, those playmakers are going to be tough to replace, but Missouri should still be solid.
21. South Carolina- with the loss of Connor Shaw and a lot of good players on defense including Clowney of course, this seems to be one of the weaker South Carolina teams in a while, we'll see what Spurrier has in store.
22. Texas Tech- a lot of stock in the bowl performance in this one, but I think Texas Tech could have a nice breakthrough year.
23. Iowa- this team finally found some players on offense this past year and returned towards the upper part of the big 10, with a lot of starters back the momentum should continue.
24. USC- they ended the season very strong, there's a lot of talent in place, so they really could finish a lot higher than this.
25. Boise State- I can get my hopes up can't I?

just missed the cut.

Clemson- Boyd, Watkins, Bryant, and a lot of other great players all gone, this is a rebuilding year.
Texas- from the previous stop Strong made it looks like he'll need a year to get his system into place, so we'll see on this one.
Arizona- a lot of starters back from a team that had some promising performances last year, but Carey is a huge loss(based on the assumption he's leaving).
Pitt- I think Paul Chryst can have some success this year with a lot of starters back
Oklahoma State- A lot of talented players gone and Florida State in the opener could really set the season off on the wrong foot.
Marshall- They might end up being the best non power 5 team, lets just hope Boise State returns back to normal.
Utah State- they aren't going away, Keeton returning from injury will be huge.
Mississippi- A solid year should be in store for them, I think a breakthrough year will happen the year after.
Virginia Tech- Logan Thomas being gone could be a positive, he was talented but could never put it all together, yet Virginia Tech had to pretty much keep him in just in case he does.
BYU- they lose Van Noy, but do still bring a lot of guys back.
Texas A&M- Johnny Manziel and Mike Evans both being gone will downgrade the offense no matter what, Sumlin will at least decently replace them, hopefully the defense can't get much worse.

The "Are You Kidding Me?" List of teams that people are ranking in preseason polls that shouldn't be ranked.

Florida- they're actually showing up in preseason top 25s believe it or not, the team that went 4-8, got blown out by Vandy, lost to Georgia Southern, and couldn't stop from blocking guys on their own team. Not only that but the best players on the defensive side have all declared for the NFL draft.

North Carolina- Yes they pulled together and had a strong ending to the 2013 season, and they return a lot of starters, but they still finished the season with 6 losses, the wait and see approach should be used.

UCF- they had a strong year sure, but their two best players have declared for the draft already, from a team that was a few plays away from at least 5 losses.

Louisville- I haven't seen this one much at least, but we don't even know who's coaching them yet, plus they enter a new conference, teams that enter a new conference usually struggle their first year there.

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it but Boise State doesn't deserve any mention in the Top 25 until they start playing Boise State football again.

This year Boise State really disappointed.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU should be around 20-25. Offense will be better and the defense will big a lot bigger which is nice because they were stupidly undersized last year but it's going to be a struggle replacing up to 9 starters on that side of the ball if Bradford goes pro.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for not putting TAMU in there and giving me yet another fit of rage.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, way too soon for polls, but both the SEC and PAC12 will be dog fights for the title next year. Each conference is loaded with talent. It will be interesting to see how UCLA does with Hundley coming back (Heisman favortie, maybe), what will USC and Washington do with new coaches? How will Georgia and Bama do with a new QB? Man, the CFB season is far too short. I'd love to see regular season games played through December, followed almost immediately by the bowl games.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my prediction but some else's prediction for a new bowl game in 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, way too soon for polls, but both the SEC and PAC12 will be dog fights for the title next year. Each conference is loaded with talent. It will be interesting to see how UCLA does with Hundley coming back (Heisman favortie, maybe), what will USC and Washington do with new coaches? How will Georgia and Bama do with a new QB? Man, the CFB season is far too short. I'd love to see regular season games played through December, followed almost immediately by the bowl games.
I think Mason will have a good season at Georgia. Hasn't he been in that system for 3 or 4 years now. He just needs a little more field experience.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im super high on Iowas season next year. Mostly because the schedule is laughable. OOC is UNI, ISU, Ball State and Pitt ( at Pitt ). That should at worst be 3-1 but likely 4-0 with all Iowa will be returning. Then we open league play with Indiana, Maryland, Illinois, NW, Purdue and Minnesota before closing at home with Wisky and Nebraska. There is a chance Iowa could be 10-0 and not even be any better than they were this year with that schedule. After that getting the 2 best teams on our schedule at home is anyones guess.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im super high on Iowas season next year. Mostly because the schedule is laughable. OOC is UNI, ISU, Ball State and Pitt ( at Pitt ). That should at worst be 3-1 but likely 4-0 with all Iowa will be returning. Then we open league play with Indiana, Maryland, Illinois, NW, Purdue and Minnesota before closing at home with Wisky and Nebraska. There is a chance Iowa could be 10-0 and not even be any better than they were this year with that schedule. After that getting the 2 best teams on our schedule at home is anyones guess.

See what Michigan State did this year with a easy cross over games.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See what Michigan State did this year with a easy cross over games.

Exactly. Actually a case can be made for Wisconsin being a preseason top 2 or 3 type team for the exact same reason IMO. Badgers miss MSU, OSU, Michigan and PSU and get Nebraska at home. The only tough roadie for Bucky is in Iowa City. Wisky should be 11-1 at worst next year. I have them 12-0.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful..... last year at this time I (and most Huskers) were talking about how easy our schedule would be in '13. Then we fell on our faces a bit.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful..... last year at this time I (and most Huskers) were talking about how easy our schedule would be in '13. Then we fell on our faces a bit.

For sure. Im not saying Iowa will be 10-0 but there is a chance. I think its more likely we end up 9-3,10-2 type of deal but you cant ask for much better of a schedule if you want to start dreaming big.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. Im not saying Iowa will be 10-0 but there is a chance. I think its more likely we end up 9-3,10-2 type of deal but you cant ask for much better of a schedule if you want to start dreaming big.
I get ya. I can certainly see it too. Just reminds me a lot of Camp Husker at this time last year.

Also, I want revenge! :suds:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Actually a case can be made for Wisconsin being a preseason top 2 or 3 type team for the exact same reason IMO. Badgers miss MSU, OSU, Michigan and PSU and get Nebraska at home. The only tough roadie for Bucky is in Iowa City. Wisky should be 11-1 at worst next year. I have them 12-0.

Will they have any PAC refs in any of their games this year?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about the quarterback. Got one? If you do, and he has some experience, you got a shot at a good year. If you don't, you don't.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't laugh at that OOC too much sir

UNI is a strong FCS team

Iowa State just hired Mangino as OC

Ball State kept Pete Lembo there, they blew out Virginia at Virginia last year, obviously a bit of a different between Virginia and Iowa though LOL, my point is they can play with the big boys.

Pitt is the most challenging, they will for sure lose Aaron Donald, but they have a lot of Paul Chryst's players in there now.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about the quarterback. Got one? If you do, and he has some experience, you got a shot at a good year. If you don't, you don't.

yes it really is in this college football sir, teams replacing QBs are rated lower in my poll

only one I have replacing one in the top 10 is Alabama I believe, Alabama could still win 10 games with a mediocre or crappy quarterback