• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Offseason Hopes For The Mets

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the offseason is upon on and I think this will be the year that Sandy finally makes that big splash with us to acquire a big outfield bat. Many names like Rios, Stanton, Kemp, Ethier, CarGo, Ellsbury, Choo, Beltran have all come up with the Mets being interested in. 5 of them being trade candidates and the other 3 as free agent candidates. The Mets 2014 draft pick is in the top 10 so it is protected if they do pursue and sign some of these free agents, they would just forfeit a supplimental 2nd round pick.

With Harvey out for the season due to Tommy John surgery, expect guys like Montero, DeGrom, Familia, Sydergaard to compete for a spot in the rotation out of training camp. Though Noah is tearing it up in the minors, I don't expect him to make the rotation till about June, much like Wheeler did last year. So the rotation will look like, Niese, Wheeler, Gee(if re-signed) Mejia most likely, and then a free agent. Some names that come to mind are Burnett, Arroyo, Josh Johnson, Garza, Tanaka(though I don't see us dishing out the money to talk to him, but would be nice)

I see them mostly trying to trade for a guy like Kemp or CarGo and then adding Choo/Ellsbury for the outfield while having Eric Young Jr platoon with Lagares and that will work. Add in a SP like Garza or Burnett for the front of the rotation, but they will most likely add a back-end guy like Johnson or Arroyo and i'm content with that.

Trades I see happening are Murphy/Parnell/Montero for Matt Kemp. Also another name being thrown around is Brandon Phillips, not sure what they would want for us but him to replace Murphy at 2nd would be nice and fill a big void in our lineup. Another trade I can see happening is Flores, Nimmo, Davis, Cecchini and another player for CarGo. Then have Duda/Satin platoon at 1st. Go into next year with a lineup of.

SS-Tejada
2B-Phillips
3B-Wright
CF-Kemp/CarGo
RF-Ellsbury/Choo
C-TDA
1B-Duda/Satin
LF-Young/Lagares

And this team is not that far off from competing. With a staff of Niese, Wheeler, Arroyo/Johnson, Gee, Mejia they can definitely win some games and keep us in contention.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now wake up from your dream. No way does any of this come close to happening. The Wilpon's have no money to spend on that many FA's, so look for us once again to be disappointed with a 10 to 15 game under .500 season in 2014.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wilpons finances are reportedly in order and with roughly $60 million in dead money coming off the books they will have plenty of money to spend. With money to burn and a stockpile of young arms to deal the Mets could absolutely make a splash in the offseason.

I think signing an OF and trading for one is a must. The infield we could get away with not tampering too much. Adding Flores to the mix gives us some nice depth, SS being the one weak spot (I still haven't lost faith in Tejada).

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now wake up from your dream. No way does any of this come close to happening. The Wilpon's have no money to spend on that many FA's, so look for us once again to be disappointed with a 10 to 15 game under .500 season in 2014.

Can't I just stay in my dream world? And they do have money, they just wont spend it. They're not committed to making this a winning ball club again.

The Wilpons finances are reportedly in order and with roughly $60 million in dead money coming off the books they will have plenty of money to spend. With money to burn and a stockpile of young arms to deal the Mets could absolutely make a splash in the offseason.

I think signing an OF and trading for one is a must. The infield we could get away with not tampering too much. Adding Flores to the mix gives us some nice depth, SS being the one weak spot (I still haven't lost faith in Tejada).

Something will come, I honestly think Bourn would have been a Met last year had it not been for the unprotected pick. They will talk to Ellsbury and Choo this offseason now that our pick is protected. Sure they will call LA and Colorado about their OF'ers as well.