• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My official Week 7 thread

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yawnnnnn... Today, it's like I'm finally waking up from watching an all-day marathon. I just remember watching a crazy football week in which 5 of the Top 8 teams went down, Hail-Mary's were being answered, and Katy Perry drove everyone nuts on Gameday.

Sigh... It seemed like it only happened last week.

My dark side: "It WAS last week, you twit! And don't you have something to do?"

Huh?... Oh, right, this thread! The Top 10 games of this week in football is next!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 games of Week 7

Look. Let's all admit one thing here: We're all still hung-over from last week, and we're still not sure if this week will be quieter. With that forecast laid in stone, let's turn to...

The Top 10 Games of College Football 2014 (Week 7 Edition)!

(All times are Eastern)
10. USC @ Arizona [10:30, ESPN2] (If anybody was paying attention, it was a great week last week in the state of Arizona. The Wildcats stopped Oregon, and the Sun Devils took advantage of the worst secondary play in PAC-12 history to knock out USC. Now the pollsters all think Arizona will take out a demoralized Trojans team... which means [of course] Southern Cal will not only beat Arizona, but beat them badly. 'Cause once again, it's easy to get success but hard to keep it).

9. Duke @ Georgia Tech [12:30, ESPN3/Gameplan] (Sneaking into the rankings this week is a Yellow Jackets team that got an always-gratifying win over Miami... something Duke couldn't do. Problem is, Duke has had 2 weeks to prep for this one, and that ALWAYS spell bad news for a option-run team like Georgia Tech. But the Jackets are ranked for the first time in 3 years, and they don't want to let go of that...)

8. Texas vs. Oklahoma {in Dallas} [12:00, ABC] (This game is an example of how good and bad upsets can be. The good is TCU's program-making win in the Big 12 against a conference kingpin like Oklahoma. But here's the bad: Now the Sooners are down to #11 as they face a 2-3 team that's struggling offensively in a game that this year [at least] will have more bark than bite. Sorry.)

7. Louisville @ Clemson [3:30, ESPNU] (My pick for sleeper game of the week. Louisville is 5-1 but unranked in their first year in the ACC, and Clemson wants to put the Cardinals in their place and return to their national ranking).

6. Alabama @ Arkansas [6:00, ESPN] (Arkansas is 0-2 in the SEC, but let's be honest: They haven't been overly bad this year... at least not yet. As for Alabama, the doubts are starting to creep in again around Saban and the kids from Tuscaloosa. Not good...)

5. Georgia @ Missouri [12:00, CBS] (Pretty sneaky, CBS. And a sweet move, as now we get a big SEC doubleheader. And Part 1 is Georgia trying to avenge last year's embarrassing 41-26 loss in Athens to Missouri that eventually gave Missouri the SEC East. As for the Tigers, they're still fighting a image issue despite beating South Carolina. But Marty Mauk can change that if he gets this big win).

4. Ole Miss @ Texas A&M [9:00, ESPN] (And now it's time to play the game that's been around since the 1950's: "Put up or Shut up!" This is the game in which up-and-coming teams try to prove they're legit by winning hard games right after scoring one of the biggest wins in school history.
Ole Miss Rebels, it's your turn! The luck of Katy Perry, good Bo Wallace, and an awesome interception late gave you a win over Alabama. Now you face the Aggies at home, where Kenny Hill and Josh Reynolds wants their national title shot back. Ole Miss, "PUT UP OR SHUT UP!")

3. Oregon @ UCLA [3:30, FOX] (You can throw me the QB's [Mariota vs. Hundley] and the coaches and the bounce-back storylines, but this one's VERY easy to describe. Here goes: "Loser no make 4-team playoff", OK? Now go spread the word).

2. TCU @ Baylor [3:30, ABC but ESPN2 in some markets] (TCU Horned Frogs, it's time for you to "PUT UP OR SHUT UP!" Your win over Oklahoma was glorious, but Bryce Petty wants not just the Heisman but a national title. And for the first time in 109 meetings between you two dating back to the SWC, you 2 teams are ranked. Wait... Now that I think about it, Baylor's offense didn't look well against Texas [even though the defense did].
You know what? This game will have playoff implications, so Baylor, YOU'LL play our "Put up or Shut up" game too!)

And finally, at 3:30 on CBS...

The NCAA proudly presents... Our Main Event!

#2 vs. #3! Mississippi State's never been this high up, but Auburn has. Auburn hasen't been tested, but the Bulldogs have. And Auburn's offense is smoking hot, but the game's in Starkville. Something has to give...

Ahem... Now my picks for "Best mid-major" and "Best potential bust" games of the week!

Best mid-major game: Middle Tennessee @ Marshall (Marshall is 5-0, but they're not ranked for one big reason: They've haven't had a big opponent. Now here comes the battle-tested Blue Raiders, who wants the C-USA East all to themselves. Let's hope Marshall takes care of business; otherwise East Carolina will stay in the driver's seat for a Big 6 bowl).
Game with the best chance to be a bust: Michigan State @ Purdue (This is the first time in a little while that Purdue has a spotlight game in the Big 10. Sorry, but this will be no contest: The Spartans now have a chance to get into the 4-team playoff, and they don't want to lose it).
Honorable mentions for the Top 10: Northwestern at Minnesota, Penn State at Michigan, LSU at Florida, North Carolina at Notre Dame, and Washington at California.

And I'm done! My pick-em segment is next, and here's hoping I do better than last time.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predictions for Week 7

I'll be blunt and honest with you guys: I stunk last week in picking games. Yes I nailed TCU beating the Sooners, but other than that I went 9-8 in Top 25 picks. So as I give you this week's picks for Top 25 games, remember that I'm human, just like you.

(1) Florida State 44 @ Syracuse 11
(2) Auburn 33 @ (T-3) Mississippi State 23
(T-3) Ole Miss 27 @ (14) Texas A&M 30
(9) TCU 21 @ (5) Baylor 37
North Carolina 20 @ (6) Notre Dame 24
(7) Alabama 39 @ Arkansas 24
(8) Michigan State 42 @ Purdue 13
USC 34 @ (10) Arizona 30
Texas 10 vs. (11) Oklahoma 40
(12) Oregon 39 @ (18) UCLA 43
(13) Georgia 23 @ (23) Missouri 20 in OT
(16) Oklahoma State 30 @ Kansas 21
(19) East Carolina 41 @ South Florida 19
Duke 24 @ (22) Georgia Tech 27 in OT
Washington State 24 @ (25) Stanford 28

And it looks like I'm done... at least for now! The best games of the week will come onto here as they happen. But for now, the floor is all yours...

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry about being human. It takes guts to put all your picks out there. I know some people act like they know it all but I don't know many getting rich off of betting on the games. Keep up the posts. Some like reading them.

brin3535

moose twit!
Hoopla Cash
$ 955.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is garbage. Almost as bad as Mizzou this year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red River Rivalry

Texas Longhorns vs. Oklahoma Sooners - Recap - October 11, 2014 - ESPN

West Virginia: "Oh... THAT'S why you're listening to us. Never mind..."

But seriously folks, we got YET ANOTHER great game in this series that Oklahoma hung on to win. And a little encouragement to Texas: Yes this game was frustrating for you, but you had 482 yards against a good team. Don't stop your offensive game plan; it's working. Just keep plugging away.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke vs Georgia Tech

Duke Blue Devils vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - Recap - October 11, 2014 - ESPN

Okay, I thought that Duke would hang around for the whole game, but the Jackets would clinch it late. Turns out the extra week for Duke to prepare for the triple-option was the difference, so sorry Blue Devils. Looks like you still got this season under control.

As for Georgia Tech, good luck against North Carolina next week. 'Cause from the looks of things at South Bend, the Tar Heels will be pissed off one way or the other.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon vs. UCLA

Oregon Ducks vs. UCLA Bruins - Recap - October 11, 2014 - ESPN

Me to my dark side after seeing this game: "Ummmm... Suggestions? Well, running away from the Bruins, obviously."

Dark side: "Yeah, I'm thinking running away, too. The Bruins outgained the Ducks, but STILL got bushwhacked? And reviving Mariota's Heisman chances? Yeah, let's run away."

Me: "How far should we run away from UCLA?"

Dark side: "Considering what you said about them in preseason, pretty far."

Me: "And how soon should we run away?"

Dark side: "Uhhh, now!" And with that, both of us ran away from the Bruins while Oregon celebrates a season-saving win.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Carolina vs. Notre Dame

North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish - Recap - October 11, 2014 - ESPN

So far, this game that went final just minutes earlier is our "Best surprise game of the week"... Wait, no it isn't, because I NAILED this game being closer than everyone thought it would me! :yahoo:

Ahem... But seriously folks, now Notre Dame and Florida State is on a collision course for next week! Visit this thread tomorrow; I'll have a BIG announcement concerning this game.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn vs. Mississippi State

Auburn Tigers vs. Mississippi State Bulldogs - Box Score - October 11, 2014 - ESPN

This game had just gone final, and :omg: is Mississippi State on a roll! Every single time we thought Auburn would get back into the game, WHAM! The Bulldogs punch them right in the face. So don't be surprised if Miss. State ends up on the cover of the next Sports Illustrated.

As for the pollsters that compile the AP Top 25, I have one of them with me for a special interview! Thank you for stopping by.

AP Voter: "Thank you for having me."

Me: "Now be honest with me, sir. Did ANYONE that make up the AP Top 25 saw Mississippi State coming? From unranked to possibly the new #1 team in the nation tomorrow? What are your thoughts?"

AP Voter: "No f--king idea."

Me: "Well, there you have it folks. Expect the Bulldogs to dominate CFB talk until November 15th when they visit Alabama... or October 25th, depending on what Kentucky does."