• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Mock Draft

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Pre-Senior Bowl, Combine, way too early edition

1st round (17th overall) - David DeCastro (Guard) Stanford

The Bengals have never taken an Offensive Guard in the first round but then again they had never taken a Cornerback in the first round prior to '06 before taking Joseph. No need to get into the analysis of the position. Bobbie Williams is 100 years old with a broken right ankle and Nate Livings is Nate Livings. They are both free agents.

Since 2001, there has only been one guard taken higher than 17th overall (Leonard Davis in '01 by the Cowboys with the 2nd overall pick). DeCastro can be an immediate starter at Right Guard with ideally Bobbie Williams brought back on a one-year, backup/mentor deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8I56-rnbZ8

1st round (21st overall) - David Wilson (Running Back) Virginia Tech

Benson is gone. The Bengals are finally able to get a back with a second gear for the first time since they had a young Corey Dillon. David Wilson is a bit of a surprise here but has 4.45 speed and his contact balance is a sight to behold. I know that Safety and Cornerback are glaring needs but I would argue that Running Back is right there as well. Face it...Marvin Lewis is going to want to "pound that rock" and while Wilson doesn't have the mass you might see out of an AFC North back, he rarely goes down after first contact. He also would have the ability to make people miss in the backfield if for, heaven forbid, they bring Livings back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bO123KOEM

2nd round (53rd overall) - Trumaine "Tru" Johnson (Cornerback) Montana

He posses the size (6'2") the Bengals traditionally like in their Corners. He also has reported attitude and character questions...which makes Mike Brown's redeeming wand throb. Cornerback is a need with Clements getting older and Hall coming off of the achilles injury. Also, Jennings and Pacman are Free Agents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twoBOATPVdw

3rd round (84th overall) - Winston Guy (Safety) Kentucky

I'm sure you wanted this position addressed in the draft prior to the 84th pick but it is what it is. Long term thinking would have the Bengals transition Clements to SS after next year if Hall returns to form along with the further development of draft pick(s) at the Cornerback position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DoBTerDesY

4th round (116th overall) - Da'John Harris (Defensive Tackle) USC

Pat Sims is a free agent. Going to need someone to plug in for depth and that rotation that was a major part of the success on D this past season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCUayKv7mac

5th round - Shaun Prater (Cornerback) Iowa

Another CB to add to the mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJAKRzcTaOg

5th round (part of Chad trade) - Jake Trantin (Linebacker) William and Mary

Depth and Special Teamer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkJq5MBXwQ

6th round - Jake Bequette (Defensive End) Arkansas

Frostee and Fanene are both free agents. Geathers is getting older. Need depth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRgSXwSpdI8

7th round - Marcel Jones (Offensive Tackle) Nebraska

Long shot but might stick (or whomever gets drafted at OT) due to Anthony Collins and impending departure.

Other needs not addressed (#2 WR, another OG) should be addressed in Free Agency. Take it for what it's worth considering we are still three months away from the actual draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we take a RB in the first it better be Miller. He has a gear Wilson can't touch reportedly.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Miller over Wilson in every aspect. Speed, power, elusivness. IMO Miller is a far superior back and if we take Wilson at 21 I'll be majorly pissed.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who? CBS, Walter and all the ones I've seen have Miller over Wilson. Wilson also isn't a very good inside runner and doesn't shed tackles really well. Again Miller all day.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't remember. I know nfldraftcountdown does. Scouts Inc has them in a virtual tie.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what we do Wilson is a bad fit.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also read that Wilson posted a 4.29 40-time at Va Tech his freshman year and ran track.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Miller or Wilson are worthy of a first round pick. If we go offense, I'd just assume pick up another receiver and a lineman.

People question Miller's strength and Wilson's explosion.... Neither have a ton of experience out of the backfield as pass receivers or blockers. I wouldn't be angry if we picked one of the two, but I wouldn't be enthusiastic either.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer a RB in the 2nd or 3rd personally I agree.reports also came out after that and said those times were wrong. More recent reports have come out saying Miller ran a sub 4.3 40 this year.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't trust any report about a college player's 40-time. Same way you can't listen to their reported height. I'll bet money neither of them runs a sub-4.3 40 time at the combine or pro day. No way.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trust any report about a college player's 40-time. Same way you can't listen to their reported height. I'll bet money neither of them runs a sub-4.3 40 time at the combine or pro day. No way.

Very true..... Those home town stop watches have been known to lie. It will be interesting to see the times coming from the combine.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have too look OL first in F/A and then in the draft if you can't get it fixed in F/A.

Protecting Dalton and opening up holes for WHOEVER the RB is should be the priority. Unless you have the second coming of Barry Sanders back there, if the OL doesn't fix its guard play, it won't be pretty for Dalton or the RB.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was just reading the the Bengals spent a lot of time talking to Boise St RB Doug Martin at Senior Bowl practice separate from the rest of the players.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think either Miller or Wilson is a reach at 21. Miller is having shoulder surgery and may not be able to participate in some workouts. Wilson I think could very well be there in the 2nd. Regardless, I dont see that big of a drop off between say Wilson at 21 to Chris Polk in the 2nd or even the Rb from Boise in the 3rd. Only RB that I'd target in one is Richardson and he'll be gone for sure.

Love the DeCastro pick...If we did wind up with the draft you have I'd be good with it.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading the the Bengals spent a lot of time talking to Boise St RB Doug Martin at Senior Bowl practice separate from the rest of the players.

hearing that the furthest he would drop is to you guys in the 2nd round, if you get him there congrats because he's a good un.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller and Wilson are both exceptional runners. Wilson is a bit faster and better between the tackles because he doesn't go down easily and slips and breaks tackles better than just about anyone this year. Miller is quicker and more explosive and better out on the edge. Wilson gets too turned when he tries to go outside and can lose yards. It is something he will have to be coached out of. Miller is not nearly as good up the middle and can slip tackles but is not as physical of a runner and gets pushed back a lot.

Both are stretches at 21.

You are welcome.

I watch more ACC football than just about anyone on this board.