• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My 53 Man Roster

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense

QB - Andy Dalton
QB - AJ McCarron

RB - Jeremy Hill
RB - Gio Bernard
RB - Rex Burkhead
RB - James Wilder (tough choice here as I like Peerman, but I think Wilder is a better runner and a pretty good special teams player, especially with his speed and toughness)

FB - Ryan Hewitt

TE - Tyler Eifert
TE - Tyler Kroft
TE - CJ Uzomah

WR - AJ Green
WR - Marvin Jones
WR - Mo Sanu
WR - Greg Little
WR - Mario Alford
WR - Brandon Tate (this was hard because I don't care for him, but Krumerow can still be on practice squad - and the rest of the crop just sucks)

T - Andrew Whitworth
T - Andre Smith
T - Jake Fisher
T/G - Eric Winston
G - Clint Boling
G - Kevin Zeitler
G - Dan France
G - Trey Hopkins
C - Russell Bodine
C - TJ Johnson

Defense

DE - Carlos Dunlap
DE - Michael Johnson
DE - Will Clarke
DE/DT - Wallace Gilberry
DT - Geno Atkins
DT - Domata Peko (only because I know he is not going anywhere)
DT - Pat Sims
DT - Marcus Hardison
DT/DE - DeShaun Williams

LB - AJ Hawk
LB - Emmanuel Lamur
LB - Rey Maualuga
LB - PJ Dawson
LB - Vincent Rey
LB - Chris Carter

CB - Adam Jones
CB - Leon Hall
CB - Dre Kirkpatrick
CB - Darqueze Dennard
CB - Josh Shaw

S - Reggie Nelson
S - George Iloka
S - Shawn Williams
S - Derron Smith

LS - Clark Harris
P - Kevin Huber
K - Mike Nugent

Starting on Injured List:

LB Vontaze Burfict
LB Sean Porter
OT Cedric Ogbuehi

Practice Squad:

QB Keith Wenning
RB Terrell Watson
WR Tim Krumerow
TE Matt Lengel
C Jake Smith
OT Matthew O'Donnell
S Floyd Raven
CB Troy Hill
K Tom Obarski

Big Name Cuts for Bengals:

RB Cedric Peerman (special teams captain)
OT Tanner Hawkinson (5th round pick)
LB Marquis Flowers (6th round pick)
DE Margus Hunt (2nd round pick)
DT Devon Still (2nd round pick)
DT Brandon Thompson (3rd round pick)

Any one these guys could stick around if the Bengals are brave enough to finally cut Tate and just risk using Adam Jones, Mario Alford, Rex Burkhead or Gio Bernard as returners.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peerman is not getting cut.

I agree on Hunt, Still and Thompson...... Maybe Thompson stays, we'll see. But if the three of them are cut that will be the icing on the crappy careers of three high draft picks.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they would cut Sims before Still or Thompson

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree that Thompson gets the nod over Sims.

I also could see them going light at WR, and maybe even keeping another DT/DE (Hunt, maybe?). Not because I like him, but because they may not part with a DE until they can see that MJ is 100%. Have to remember he hasn't played yet, and could miss a game or two.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you might be overly aggressive with the cuts. Marv and Mike won't be. They have "their guys"

at least you know Tate is the teflon man though. nothing sticks to him, he's a preseason champ.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you might be overly aggressive with the cuts. Marv and Mike won't be. They have "their guys"

at least you know Tate is the teflon man though. nothing sticks to him, he's a preseason champ.
Don't forget Peko. One of the worst rated DT's in the NFL, per PFF, over the past few years.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peko and Tate will make the roster. We need to watch the waiver wire for cuts at WR and C. Definitely the worst position groups on this team. We will do neither of course.

Giving up on Margus Hunt already huh? Gee whiz never saw that coming. He'll probably go to the Patriots and become the next JJ Watt.

Just kidding. He blows.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peerman is not getting cut.

I agree on Hunt, Still and Thompson...... Maybe Thompson stays, we'll see. But if the three of them are cut that will be the icing on the crappy careers of three high draft picks.

I have to think Peerman or Tate is getting cut. You take your pick. If they keep Peerman, they let go of Tate, if they keep Tate on a really weak WR core, then they let Peerman go.

Wilder is a good special teams player too with more speed and more physicality than Peerman. Not sure about the smarts, but when you are making decisions on the last few spots on the roster, does it really make that much of a difference? You may as well go with a guy who has the most upside.

Plus, I don't think Wilder would stick on the practice squad, as I think someone would pick him up with his size, speed and strength.

This was my 53 man anyways, part realistic, part wishful thinking. I really don't think I am that far off though.

They may decide to go with cutting DeShaun Williams, and keep one of Thompson or Still instead. I could see Still because he is finally starting to get to that breathing room where he is not having to worry about his daughter and can rededicate himself to football. Although that is a gamble. I guess they would just have to hope he is that guy.

A few notables are going to have to get cut from that defensive line unfortunately.

Hunt was in the backfield all night last night, but it was against backups. He is strong, just not sure he is a good DE, and while I really wanted him coming into the year we drafted him, I just don't see any progression, maybe even regression.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they keep 5 WR's, 8 OLs, and then go really heavy on defense. Tate or Little won't make it. Peerman will be kept over Wilder. They will likely keep 10 or 11 DL players.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks good overall Crash however...

I don't want to speak in absolutes but Tate and Peerman are virtual locks to make the team. Brandon Thompson is highly underrated so I don't think he is going anywhere. I can see Still getting the axe or floated out there as trade bait. They are still high on Hunt so I would be shocked if he goes. I would replace those for that I have staying replaced on the waiver wire with:

Greg Little - Burkhead's ability to play WR will make him expendable.
James Wilder - see Peerman
TJ Johnson - I assume he has practice squad eligibility left. Boling can backup at Center
Chris Carter - I hate this one because he stood out but usually against lesser competition. He is limited as a situational third down pass rusher. Dunlap and Johnson aren't coming off the field in those situations so where does he fit in? Perhaps Flowers' injury last night is worse than we know and Carter sticks with Flowers on IR?

Some talented guys are going to be available, that's for sure.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they keep 5 WR's, 8 OLs, and then go really heavy on defense. Tate or Little won't make it. Peerman will be kept over Wilder. They will likely keep 10 or 11 DL players.

No way do they go with 8 OL, and 10 DL is an outside chance at best, but 11, no way in heck man. It would weaken the roster too much in case of injury at OL.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to think Peerman or Tate is getting cut. You take your pick. If they keep Peerman, they let go of Tate, if they keep Tate on a really weak WR core, then they let Peerman go.

Wilder is a good special teams player too with more speed and more physicality than Peerman. Not sure about the smarts, but when you are making decisions on the last few spots on the roster, does it really make that much of a difference? You may as well go with a guy who has the most upside.

Plus, I don't think Wilder would stick on the practice squad, as I think someone would pick him up with his size, speed and strength.

This was my 53 man anyways, part realistic, part wishful thinking. I really don't think I am that far off though.

They may decide to go with cutting DeShaun Williams, and keep one of Thompson or Still instead. I could see Still because he is finally starting to get to that breathing room where he is not having to worry about his daughter and can rededicate himself to football. Although that is a gamble. I guess they would just have to hope he is that guy.

A few notables are going to have to get cut from that defensive line unfortunately.

Hunt was in the backfield all night last night, but it was against backups. He is strong, just not sure he is a good DE, and while I really wanted him coming into the year we drafted him, I just don't see any progression, maybe even regression.

Tate and Peerman can't be compared..... Peerman has very high value to special teams. Tate's only value is that he is the only experienced kick returner and he's a reliable punt returner. Kick returners have become less important in the modern NFL. That said, I think they both make it.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also don't understand why so many of our fans undervalue special teams..... I don't believe it's true that any good athlete can be good at it. I think some guys excel..... Peerman, Skuta when he was here, Reggie Myles..... Those guys were good players and they served a role. What's the point in keeping Wilder around? He's probably not as good at special teams as Peerman and neither of them are going to get any meaningful carries this year. Hill still has two more years under contract after this year, Bernard and Bulkhead both have one more year after this. Wilder will never get significant carries here. Cut him.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way do they go with 8 OL, and 10 DL is an outside chance at best, but 11, no way in heck man. It would weaken the roster too much in case of injury at OL.
You know that you can immediately bring a guy up from the practice squad right? You don't cut a Brandon Thompson just to keep an crappy extra OL when all of our backups are so versatile. Hopkins, France and Johnson are all practice squad eligible. You keep the most talented player. France, Johnson, Hopkins are likely inactive on gameday anyways.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know that you can immediately bring a guy up from the practice squad right? You don't cut a Brandon Thompson just to keep an crappy extra OL when all of our backups are so versatile. Hopkins, France and Johnson are all practice squad eligible. You keep the most talented player. France, Johnson, Hopkins are likely inactive on gameday anyways.

Still not going to happen. Just leaves them too vulnerable during a game.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this..... The active roster is 53 players. Of the 53 you have to choose 48 (is this right?) for Sunday. And then you get a number of other guys for the practice squad. The real issue is that the guys you put on the PS have to clear waivers. So the art of putting together the final 53 is to protect your assets (guys that won't clear waivers) even if that means an imbalance. If injuries occur and you need to bring a guy up and cut a guy from the active roster, than you'll have to do it. But for now, we have at least 5 spots (the inactives) to hide talent.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does it? Please tell me how........I'll wait.....

They're basically counting on Eric Winston and Jake Fisher to bounce between 4 out of 5 positions as the backups. Whether that is a good idea or not remains to be seen.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're basically counting on Eric Winston and Jake Fisher to bounce between 4 out of 5 positions as the backups. Whether that is a good idea or not remains to be seen.

Nah, if Bodine were to go down they would move Boling inside, Whit to OG and Fisher to LT. If an OG goes down, Whit moves inside and Fisher goes to LT. If an OT goes down Fisher takes over. Our line is versatile enough they only need 8. Plus they can bring up one of the practice squad guys the next week

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, if Bodine were to go down they would move Boling inside, Whit to OG and Fisher to LT. If an OG goes down, Whit moves inside and Fisher goes to LT. If an OT goes down Fisher takes over. Our line is versatile enough they only need 8. Plus they can bring up one of the practice squad guys the next week

Oh I'm not arguing that they only need 8. I think they cut the right guys. They can certainly slide guys around in the event of injury. Just seems like they are putting a lot of faith in a journeyman RT and a rookie in the event that we lose multiple guys. Tits McGee could break his foot at any moment, and Zeitler is usually good for 2-3 missed games with an injury.