• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's Sign A Cuban!!!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what was different about his 2011 campaign than his other years. I would also like to know what his injury history is - since he's missed a lot of games. I like the signing - and I wouldn't be surprised if he's penciled into the rotation in the OF (especially with a MLB contract).

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. May not make the big club out of spring, but may be ready if needed which is more than I can say about anybody else we currently have in the minors.
Yeah I like the depth this option gives the M's for the OF.

And honestly I am interested to see how some of these backup position spots could play out. Lot of competition for the 25 man roster.
First base righty: Montero, Sanchez and Dae Ho Lee
Utility INF: Chris Taylor, Sardinas, Moreira
OF: A little different but a lot of guys with MLB experience or cups of coffee on the 40-man.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a one year deal is interesting. Wondering why they would go a couple years at that low salary.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. May not make the big club out of spring, but may be ready if needed which is more than I can say about anybody else we currently have in the minors.

Agree 100%. There was zero OF depth in the system the last few years. Jack figured he could just move all his INFs there. Hopefully with this kid and Powell we have some guys that can potentially roam CF if Martin doesn't work out. Having a defensive CF at Safeco is a must, even if it means sacrificing some offense.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a one year deal is interesting. Wondering why they would go a couple years at that low salary.

Just speculating -

If the Mariners aren't entirely sure he can make the team, the one year deal only costs them $500,000 this year if he doesn't make the cut. It also gives him a chance to cut bait and run if they send him down - while also giving him a prove it year to make a statement. He's play 1 game over the last 2 years, so there could be concern about a drop off of skills.

The one year deal is a win-win for everyone. Seattle gets a young, proven foreign player, but can get out if he tanks - while he gets a chance to show he still has "it" with the promise of the big payday he may have been looking at had he played in 2014/15.

Again, just speculation.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just speculating -

If the Mariners aren't entirely sure he can make the team, the one year deal only costs them $500,000 this year if he doesn't make the cut. It also gives him a chance to cut bait and run if they send him down - while also giving him a prove it year to make a statement. He's play 1 game over the last 2 years, so there could be concern about a drop off of skills.

The one year deal is a win-win for everyone. Seattle gets a young, proven foreign player, but can get out if he tanks - while he gets a chance to show he still has "it" with the promise of the big payday he may have been looking at had he played in 2014/15.

Again, just speculation.

I agree with what you are saying, but the one obvious risk with the one year deal is if this guy becomes the next A.J. Pollock it will cost them a lot more to retain him since he will be a free agent. I find it odd that they would take a one year flyer on a guy, but they seem to be blue-light shopping at this point like always.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what you are saying, but the one obvious risk with the one year deal is if this guy becomes the next A.J. Pollock it will cost them a lot more to retain him since he will be a free agent. I find it odd that they would take a one year flyer on a guy, but they seem to be blue-light shopping at this point like always.

There's also the consideration that the market wasn't where the player thought it would be - and was unwilling to sign a long term deal at such a low cost.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also the consideration that the market wasn't where the player thought it would be - and was unwilling to sign a long term deal at such a low cost.

Agreed. He may be betting on himself and that is okay as well.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PEORIA, Ariz. — The Mariners should have another outfielder added to their workouts in the next few days.

Free agent outfielder Guillermo Heredia was in the clubhouse on Saturday morning in workout gear and preparing to take the mandatory physical.

Heredia, 25, reached an agreement with the Mariners earlier in the week on a Major League contract with a signing bonus of $500,000. But until Heredia passes the physical and some other documentation is finalized, the club will not announce the deal and he won’t participate in team workouts.

“I would assume in the next two or three days he’ll be in uniform and ready to roll,” manager Scott Servais said. “I’ve not met him yet.”

Heredia defected from Cuba in January of 2015 and was declared a free agent in July. He has played in one official game in the past two seasons. He sat out all of 2015 because of the defection and played in just one game for Matanzas of the Cuban National Series (CNS) in 2014 after being suspended. Rumors of a possible failed defection were reported to be the reasoning for the suspension.

Since the defection, Heredia has been working out in Miami. General manager Jerry Dipoto watched a showcase for MLB teams in Boca Raton during general managers meetings in November.

Heredia played 1,400 career games in the CNS (Cuba’s professional league) from 2009 to 2014. He was a career .285 hitter with a .376 on-base percentage.

Questions about Heredia’s ability to hit big league pitching are a reason he remained unsigned for so long. The Mariners like his ability to control the strike zone and get on base. He drew 141 walks and struck out 143 times in his CNS career.

Defense and speed are Heredia’s biggest assets. He’s considered an exceptional defensive center fielder with plus speed to run down balls in the outfield. He was the recipient of multiple defensive awards equivalent to the Gold Glove in Cuba.

“He’s a speed-defense first,” Servais said. “He’s a plus defender. There was some switch hitting, but I don’t know if he’s still doing it. I don’t know a ton about the player. I know our scouting is really high on him. I believe that Jerry has seen him in a workout setting. We’ll just have to see how it plays out.”

Because of his time away from baseball, the Mariners aren’t going to rush Heredia this spring or even this season. He’ll start the season with either Class AAA Tacoma or Class AA Jackson.

“It’s a lot to put on a player,” Servais said. “This is his dream to get an opportunity like this, to get in a major league clubhouse, get around Robbie Cano and our team. I’m not looking for a high expectation level right out of the chute. It takes a while for people to get comfortable. I think we need to have realistic expectations in this camp for him. And he probably hasn’t played competitive ball for a while either.”

Since Heredia will be added to the 40-man roster, the Mariners would have to open a spot for him. The corresponding move will likely be catcher Jesus Sucre placed on the 60-day disabled list. Sucre is out for the season after suffering a broken leg and undergoing surgery to repair torn ligaments in his ankle following a slide during winter ball in Venezuela.