• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's Pursued Russell Martin?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners reportedly made a strong push for Martin

How adamant are the Mariners about finding some right-handed bats to augment their offense? Adamant enough that they might have been willing to shake up their seemingly secure catching spot.
According to a source, the Mariners, surprisingly, were among the finalists who pushed hard for Russell Martin, who eventually agreed to a five-year, $82 million contract with the Blue Jays on Monday.
On the surface, this makes little sense, as the M’s have a very highly regarded young catcher in 23-year-old Mike Zunino. That said, Zunino just finished up his first full Major League season, so he still has quite a bit of growth to accomplish as a Major League hitter (he had a .658 OPS this year). And the free-agent market is thin enough for offense that one could understand the M’s, who have long struggled to lure sluggers to Safeco Field, leaving no stone unturned in their quest for bats. Martin, after all, had an adjusted OPS+ 36 points better than league average in ‘14.
It’s possible the M’s envisioned a scenario in which they would have signed Martin and then taken advantage of a weak catching market to move Zunino, but that is purely speculation.
Anyway, in the end, Martin will be in Toronto, so it doesn’t matter. But this does give some insight into just how hard the Mariners — a team that ranked last in the Majors in weighted runs created and OPS from the right-hand side against both right-handers and lefties — are pushing to improve offensively. They have been linked to free agents Nelson Cruz and Hanley Ramirez, and trade targets such as Matt Kemp and Justin Upton are also possibilities.
– Anthony Castrovince

seattle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost, gee sounds like a Z response. In the spring he will give his usual response we tried but didn't get anyone to sign. Getting really tired of Z

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this all seems so familiar for some reason

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doesn't it though?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it's another "almost" but seeing the deal he signed in Toronto makes me glad we didn't beat that offer.

The Jays paid out the ass for a catcher on the wrong side of 30.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad we didn't sign him, but my amazement is that they have hyped Zunino as the next Bench one year and then 2 months later try and replace him. Also, even how bad offensively Zunino was is that our biggest need? Unless they planned and spending $81M on him and another $100M elsewhere, it just didn't make any sense......which then I shouldn't actually be amazed they tried this I guess.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin's contract, in my opinion, is a reflecction of how much value teams put on a ctacher's ability to handle pitchers. That is where Martin excels.

I don't think Zunino is too far away from being in Martin's calibur for handling pitchers. Meanwhile, Zunino's offense should eclipse Martin's by 2016.

And why the Mariners werre pursueing Martin I haven't a clue. It makes no sense to me at all and I don't even know why they would risk lettting something like that leak out to the media. I can not think of any scenario in which signing Martin makes sense

Last edited by a moderator: