• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's Draft......

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Divish ‏@RyanDivish 1m1 minute ago

From the Baseball America scouting report on Neidert

CHB21WLVIAEY8R2.png

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Video on Bishop

2015 Draft: Braden Bishop, OF | MLB.com

Ranks as great defensive CF with speed. Bat is said to be slow to develop which actually excites me because all the great bats we draft end up stinking so let's try go the other way.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't look at the draft prospects as closely this season as I have in the past. MLB draft is a crap shoot and most guys drafted fail. I will definitely look closer at our picks the next few days though.

side note: Nationals just drafted Mariano Rivera.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I will do my personal eval on the Mariners first 10 rounds. I also want to give some of my views on the MLB draft.
First of all I think the baseball draft is a complete crap shoot especially for the Mariners, because I believe there is a disconnect between scouting and developing players. What I mean by that is I don't think Seattle puts the majority of the position players they draft in the best position to succeed given their specific skill sets. However I think they do a pretty good job with pitchers.
Personally I think teams should shoot for 3-5 players from the first 10 rounds to be major league contributors within 4-5 seasons, which seems possible with the group Seattle picked. The rest of those guys will likely fail.

For the most part the Mariners went RHP heavy in the first 10 rounds. 3 high school guys and 3 college guys. For the most part I see potential relievers and potential middle to bottom of the rotation guys, at best, which is fine that is kinda what you should expect. Of the group of pitchers Neidert (60th overall) seems to have the highest potential ceiling based on scouting reports. Personally I think he could be very good but I think his delivery could use some help, based on the limited video I saw of him. which would obviously happen if he started pitching for a major league organization or a college.

The other 4 guys drafted are all college position players. The UW guy Braden Bishop (3rd round) is my favorite position guy of the group. If he hits he could be awesome, kinda seems like a Austin Cousino type of player, not sure about the bat but he has all the other tools to be a good CF. Also drafted a monster of a human in the 7th round, Ryan Uhl 6'6" 230 first baseman. As NWAS said earlier hit 29 homers in college,should fit in with the mariners very well, lots of home runs and probably a dick load of K's.

It will be interesting to see how some of these guys play out especially the HS arms. I think the first guy to the bigs will be Andrew Moore RHP from Oregon State.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how some of these guys play out especially the HS arms. I think the first guy to the bigs will be Andrew Moore RHP from Oregon State.

Funny yesterday after drafting him I read a scouting report saying they were shocked by M's taking him so high because he was listed at #167 and it was major reach for a guy who doesn't throw hard. Report sayd he tops out at 95 and throws 91-92 regularly with great movement on hit cut fastballs. Felix throws around 92 most of the time and does real well with that and great movement on cut pitches that cut both ways with great control sounds a lot like Greg Maddux and he did very well w/o throwing 95. Not saying he will be Maddux, but just saying throwing hard is overrated. The guy just after him I believe throws like a 102 and averages a walk per inning. SMH

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny yesterday after drafting him I read a scouting report saying they were shocked by M's taking him so high because he was listed at #167 and it was major reach for a guy who doesn't throw hard. Report sayd he tops out at 95 and throws 91-92 regularly with great movement on hit cut fastballs. Felix throws around 92 most of the time and does real well with that and great movement on cut pitches that cut both ways with great control sounds a lot like Greg Maddux and he did very well w/o throwing 95. Not saying he will be Maddux, but just saying throwing hard is overrated. The guy just after him I believe throws like a 102 and averages a walk per inning. SMH

I read similar stuff about him and honestly I think any player "ranked" in the top 250 shouldn't be considered a reach in any round after the first. I think its funny that these expert analysts critique where players get picked even though they know full well that only 30% of these guys will ever reach the majors and even fewer will be worth a day.
The things that stuck out in my mind about him was that he pitches smart and puts the ball in the strike zone. I'll take a pitcher over a thrower any day. If we start drafting throwers then we are going to need to sign a Crash Davis to turn the Ebby Calvin laloosh's of the world into pitchers. The guy drafted after him sounds a lot like Nuke Laloosh to me.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good recap of the draft picks. Something I wish we could see is the actual scouting reports made by the Mariners scouts.