• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Movies That Are 10 Out of 10

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's your definition of Indie?

------------------

And Omar... heh. Again dude, 'I don't like' isn't equivalent to 'objectively bad.'

Take your rating of NCFOM.

I TOTALLY get people not liking it. It took me about three days after watching it in the theater to decide if I liked or hated it.

No matter what decision i made, it's STILL not an objectively bad movie. Not even close.

Or take that same year's, 'There Will Be Blood.'

I couldn't stand that pretentious pile of crap. Hated the ending with a white hot passion. It's still a fucking TERRIFIC movie in a whole lot of ways (cinematography, editing, sound, music,)

So if someone asks me I'll tell them my opinion, but I'd certainly never give it a 1 or 2 out of five. That's just silly.

Uwe Boll makes 1 out of five movies.
I never said it was. No movie, in my opinion, can be said to be "objectively bad." That's ridiculous. Personal evaluation of a movie is what interests me, but, well, I am an individual. I don't care whether others liked/didn't like a movie, so far as, if they did, great for them. That doesn't mean I can't rag on people for having different tastes than mine for fun.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, as a friend...

If you care ANYTHING for your reputation here, just walk away.

Just walk away...
I remember the first time I openly came out as an "anti-Godfather." My friend, who I had just told the news, looked at the ground, and muttered confusedly, almost in a whisper: "Doesn't... like... The Godfather?"

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing a movie named that is set in the Middle East triggered a memory of a fantastic Iranian movie that is definitely a 5 for me, "A Separation".

That's the father from The Night Of, right? He was a great, great, underrated actor in that series. I'll have to check that movie out.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would add Jackie Brown to this list. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. And Dogma. I love all the Kevin Smith movies. Except maybe for Jersey Girl and Gilgi, but I meant the main ones. And I don't think Fear and Loathing was mentioned enough.

Hall of Very Good...

Half Baked
Super Troopers
Yellow Submarine
Friday
History of the World Part 1
Robin Hood, Men in Tights
Sixth Sense
Beetlejuice
Any Given Sunday
Major League

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said it was. No movie, in my opinion, can be said to be "objectively bad." That's ridiculous. Personal evaluation of a movie is what interests me, but, well, I am an individual. I don't care whether others liked/didn't like a movie, so far as, if they did, great for them. That doesn't mean I can't rag on people for having different tastes than mine for fun.

So then under what OBJECTIVE criteria are you going to seriously rate something like The Godfather as a 2 out of five?

Again, I totally GET not liking a movie out of personal preference. I thought 'Deer Hunter' was overwrought and jingoistic, but I still can't seriously rate it a 1 or 2 out of five. AGAIN, it still is a well made, well shot, well edited movie.

I think that's the push-back you're getting, not so much that you dare to disagree on 'The Godfather,' it's just the rating you give it.

And of COURSE a movie can be said to be objectively bad. I gave the example of Uwe Boll. Continuity errors, unmotivated character shifts, oh just google Uwe Boll, and have fun.

A movie with a boom mic in a shot is objectively a BAD movie.

A movie with sub standard audio quality is an objectively BAD movie.

Now don't get me wrong, it can be FUN to watch those movies in a train-wreck kinda' way. 'Reefer Madness' after a doobie is fun as shit. But you aren't laughing WITH that movie, you're laughing AT that movie. MST3000 is fucking awesome, also laughing AT certain movies.

So, no, not 'ridiculous' that a movie can be objectively bad.

So if you're giving 'The Godfather' the kind of rating that 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes' gets, then yeah, THAT'S ridiculous.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then under what OBJECTIVE criteria are you going to seriously rate something like The Godfather as a 2 out of five?

Again, I totally GET not liking a movie out of personal preference. I thought 'Deer Hunter' was overwrought and jingoistic, but I still can't seriously rate it a 1 or 2 out of five. AGAIN, it still is a well made, well shot, well edited movie.

I think that's the push-back you're getting, not so much that you dare to disagree on 'The Godfather,' it's just the rating you give it.

And of COURSE a movie can be said to be objectively bad. I gave the example of Uwe Boll. Continuity errors, unmotivated character shifts, oh just google Uwe Boll, and have fun.

Now don't get me wrong, it can be FUN to watch those movies in a train-wreck kinda' way. 'Reefer Madness' after a doobie is fun as shit. But you aren't laughing WITH that movie, you're laughing AT that movie. MST3000 is fucking awesome, also laughing AT certain movies.

So if you're giving 'The Godfather' the kind of rating that 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes' gets, then yeah, THAT'S ridiculous.
What I mean by my rating is that personal enjoyment level of The Godfather falls in line with The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Gone Girl, Citizen Kane, As Good As It Gets, Inside Man, Inside Out, etc. I would just as soon watch/recommend those movies as I would The Godfather.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Breakfast Club

Man, I love that movie, but it's a 6.5/10

Hall of Very Good...

Half Baked
Super Troopers
Yellow Submarine
Friday
History of the World Part 1
Robin Hood, Men in Tights
Sixth Sense
Beetlejuice

Any Given Sunday
Major League

Literally, no "10's" on that list of very goods.
Bolded ones get closest.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not objective. It's subjective. It's my opinion of the movie.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I mean by my rating is that personal enjoyment level of The Godfather falls in line with The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Gone Girl, Citizen Kane, As Good As It Gets, Inside Man, Inside Out, etc. I would just as soon watch/recommend those movies as I would The Godfather.

See, I can get this.
If you just don't like it, you just don't like it.
I'm that way with a lot of movies other people rate highly.
I don't see anything wrong with it.
Just an opinion.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4 movies that have been mentioned as 10s that didn't age well, imo, are Forrest Gump, Silence of the Lambs, Jurassic Park and Goodfellas. Sooo many movies and TV shows have copied the ideas that these four push and they just dont have the same bite anymore. Im not sure the nostalgia push that Gump was pushing in the first place was even that original to begin with and Gump probably wouldn't make my top 5 Hanks movies. Jurassic Park is probably not even something Id watch if it was on TV.

Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs have been copied to death, too, but they still stand up as 10/10 movies. I actually appreciate the minimalism in Reservoir Dogs compared to QT's later works. Jackie Brown is probably QTs other great minimal work. Its a grower and not one that comes off as good the first time you watch it. I think Id still have it in 9/10 territory.

Shawshank still holds up. I like the idea of Office Space being 10/10. Full blown comedies rarely deserve it but I can see about 1 a decade or so being a 10/10. There's Something About Mary is probably the other comedy from the past 20 years that could be close to that designation. Back to the Future and Princess Bridge are also both 10/10 imo.

2001: A Space Odyssey and Aliens are probably both 10/10. Movies like Departed and Gladiator are close. For me Gladiator is like an alt Count of Monte Cristo but with really good fight scenes. I think Id say its a 10/10 still. Batman Begins and Spiderman 2 are very very firmly in a 8/10 or 9/10 area, though. No Country For Old Men is a 10/10 but the whole 'you never see it comin' scene really threw a lot of people off I think.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a 10/10. Gran Torino? Maybe. I like that movie a lot. In Cold Blood is probably a 9/10 but Capote is a 10/10

Last edited:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4 movies that have been mentioned as 10s that didn't age well, imo, are Forrest Gump, Silence of the Lambs, Jurassic Park and Goodfellas. Sooo many movies and TV shows have copied the ideas that these four push and they just dont have the same bite anymore. Im not sure the nostalgia push that Gump was pushing in the first place was even that original to begin with and Gump probably wouldn't make my top 5 Hanks movies. Jurassic Park is probably not even something Id watch if it was on TV.

Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs have been copied to death, too, but they still stand up as 10/10 movies. I actually appreciate the minimalism in Reservoir Dogs compared to QT's later works. Jackie Brown is probably QTs other great minimal work. Its a grower and not one that comes off as good the first time you watch it. I think Id still have it in 9/10 territory.

Shawshank still holds up. I like the idea of Office Space being 10/10. Full blown comedies rarely deserve it but I can see about 1 a decade or so being a 10/10. There's Something About Mary is probably the other comedy from the past 20 years that could be close to that designation. Back to the Future and Princess Bridge are also both 10/10 imo.

2001: A Space Odyssey and Aliens are probably both 10/10. Movies like Departed and Gladiator are close. For me Gladiator is like an alt Count of Monte Cristo but with really good fight scenes. I think Id say its a 10/10 still. Batman Begins and Spiderman 2 are very very firmly in a 8/10 or 9/10 area, though. No Country For Old Men is a 10/10 but the whole 'you never see it comin' scene really threw a lot of people off I think.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a 10/10. Gran Torino? Maybe. I like that movie a lot. In Cold Blood is probably a 9/10 but Capote is a 10/10
Capote is a good movie, but I'd only go 4/5. I like 25th Hour and Boogie Nights better (still both 4/5) so far as PSH movies go (and I might be forgetting some of his work).

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Along the lines of this thread, I find it more interesting to note movies that are 4.5/5, i.e. near misses, as I only have seven movies I consider perfect 5's. I made this list on another forum a month ago or so. Here's my list of all 4.5/5 movies I've seen (and remember, I love rating movies. I do it after finishing each film):

4.5/5
The Prestige
Prisoners
Shotgun Stories
99 Homes
Spider-Man
The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Unbreakable
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Blood Diamond
Shutter Island
Django Unchained
Eye in the Sky
Gladiator
American Gangster
This is the End
Pineapple Express
Captain Phillips
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
Se7en
Reservoir Dogs
Inglourious Basterds
The Revenant
The Hateful Eight
Moneyball
About Schmidt
Looper
The Hunger Games
Insomnia
The Aviator

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, good to know. No point in discussing WHY then.
Well, no, we can discuss why I did/did not like a film. Just know that it will be different to each viewer. Like I could give reasons I dislike the first Godfather, but I don't think anyone would like me to go into detail...

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, just reread this gibberish. Still waking up I guess

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Movies I left the theater and thought "wow that was worth what I paid" is a pretty short list comparatively. Here are the first that come to mind...

Silence of the Lambs
Jaws (was only 12 and went through 3 showings before someone agreed to be our guardian)
The God Father I and II
Good Will Hunting (actually can't believe not mentioned yet)
Outlaw Joesy Whales
Forest Gump
The Other Guys (may lack in artistic value, but I laugh my ass off every time I see it)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capote is a good movie, but I'd only go 4/5. I like 25th Hour and Boogie Nights better (still both 4/5) so far as PSH movies go (and I might be forgetting some of his work).
I can't say Ive seen either one. Synecdoche New York and Capote are the two movies he really carried on his back that I've seen. Capote is definitely the better movie of the two.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Other Guys (may lack in artistic value, but I laugh my ass off every time I see it)
Top 3 Will Ferrell movie with Anchorman and Talladega Nights. I think its great

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the father from The Night Of, right? He was a great, great, underrated actor in that series. I'll have to check that movie out.

Yep, same guy.
I thought it was the best movie of the year that year, in any language (although it was the year "The Artist" won, not exactly a strong year as I recall).