• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

more on scherf

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And i have pointed out many times that I think you want to bug out of the fifth pick simply for the fact that you believe more picks gives us a better chance. AKA the shot gun approach. Sorry if that doesnt sit well with me, BUt IM hoping our new GM is a sniper when it comes to picking talent, and not a spray and pray kind of shooter.

I don't know what more you need to see from GMSM"s history to show that he is in fact a sniper who is probably one of the best in the league at finding talent throughout the draft. That's another reason why I want a trade back, badly. I had always assumed it would be if MM was on the board. But if Wiliiams is there and the offer is awesome I'm cool with that too. But I just don't see any way Williams remains on the board at 5, he is the best player in this draft.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what more you need to see from GMSM"s history to show that he is in fact a sniper who is probably one of the best in the league at finding talent throughout the draft. That's another reason why I want a trade back, badly. I had always assumed it would be if MM was on the board. But if Wiliiams is there and the offer is awesome I'm cool with that too. But I just don't see any way Williams remains on the board at 5, he is the best player in this draft.

I hope SMGM lives up to the billing, but I will simply say this, the Sniper Mentality is never to worry about how many shots you will get but to simply make every shot you take a kill shot. :)

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope SMGM lives up to the billing, but I will simply say this, the Sniper Mentality is never to worry about how many shots you will get but to simply make every shot you take a kill shot. :)
That all sounds great when you only have one target you need to hit. But when you have multiple holes like we do, give me something that is spraying bullets everywhere.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all sounds great when you only have one target you need to hit. But when you have multiple holes like we do, give me something that is spraying bullets everywhere.

well if you are under the impression this is a one year fix and every hole needs to be fixed this year then you are in for a long year again

these civy's shark dont know that you win on the battled field with accuracy not spraying bullets all over the place because you arent hitting everyone without accuracy

if we walk away with the LOS on defense and on offense stable going into next season it will be a huge victory

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well if you are under the impression this is a one year fix and every hole needs to be fixed this year then you are in for a long year again

these civy's shark dont know that you win on the battled field with accuracy not spraying bullets all over the place because you arent hitting everyone without accuracy

if we walk away with the LOS on defense and on offense stable going into next season it will be a huge victory

Skinsdad, you know I have said for months now I think the real issue with the Scherff pick in the eyes of the fan base is, it just wouldnt be satisfying taking an O-lineman with the 5th pick. Its considered a glaring need, but they want the flash pick of a pass rusher or WR.

Its taken a while, but I think scary as it sounds you and I ACTUALLY agree on the direction this team needs to go in.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, dad, that's exactly the impression I'm under. Geez.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skinsdad, you know I have said for months now I think the real issue with the Scherff pick in the eyes of the fan base is, it just wouldnt be satisfying taking an O-lineman with the 5th pick. Its considered a glaring need, but they want the flash pick of a pass rusher or WR.

Its taken a while, but I think scary as it sounds you and I ACTUALLY agree on the direction this team needs to go in.
You Two guys are clearly got it figured out. The rest of us think the OL is just fine.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, dad, that's exactly the impression I'm under. Geez.

then why sound like we have to fill all these holes in one season ? if we get a good player at 5 we will be in good shape

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Two guys are clearly got it figured out. The rest of us think the OL is just fine.

j_y... actually I think you all know the line is a problem. I think the disconnect comes in WHAT you are actually hoping for or expecting from the #5 pick. I get the impression that many of you find it hard if not impossible to think that Scherff could just be the BPA at #5 and the fact that he would fill a serious need goes out the window when placed against the kind of "playmaker" many think we should be taking with the 5th pick. And I wont even get started on the trade down at almost any cost Nazi's.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then why sound like we have to fill all these holes in one season ? if we get a good player at 5 we will be in good shape

Then please explain the mentality that we shouldn't take a WR at 5 because he will be a 3rd string player and we are currently set at WR. Not saying this was your quote but it's the constant argument I hear for taking Scherff at 5 or for not taking one of the WRs.. That makes no sense since we are all in agreement that this is more than a one year fix. So what is the urgency in finding an immediate starter if it won't really change our immediate future at the possible expense of passing over better players?

Again I'm not saying this is your position, I probably should have quoted Shark, but your quote lead to my follow up post.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then please explain the mentality that we shouldn't take a WR at 5 because he will be a 3rd string player and we are currently set at WR. Not saying this was your quote but it's the constant argument I hear for taking Scherff at 5 or for not taking one of the WRs.. That makes no sense since we are all in agreement that this is more than a one year fix. So what is the urgency in finding an immediate starter if it won't really change our immediate future at the possible expense of passing over better players?

Again I'm not saying this is your position, I probably should have quoted Shark, but your quote lead to my follow up post.

I dont know how many times we can point out. A rebuilding team should never assume that it has the luxury to ignore current needs for the chance to fill a possible future need. Taking a WR right now at 5 would be like saying, hey i know I need to put GAS in the car to get where IM going, but they have this sweet spare tire I expect to need next year.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know how many times we can point out. A rebuilding team should never assume that it has the luxury to ignore current needs for the chance to fill a possible future need. Taking a WR right now at 5 would be like saying, hey i know I need to put GAS in the car to get where IM going, but they have this sweet spare tire I expect to need next year.

I'm not looking for a spare tire, I'm looking for a new engine that will help the car perform way better down the road (get it?) where you want a tank of gas to get you where you want to go TODAY.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How about.....um...we need to see if we have a Qb on the roster that can lead the team in the future instead of NEEDING a Qb next year...Why not put the best Oline possible in front of him to make sure he has every chance at success????

So we need a wr next year?? oh...Next year there will be no stud wr's so we better pounce now???

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
j_y... actually I think you all know the line is a problem. I think the disconnect comes in WHAT you are actually hoping for or expecting from the #5 pick. I get the impression that many of you find it hard if not impossible to think that Scherff could just be the BPA at #5 and the fact that he would fill a serious need goes out the window when placed against the kind of "playmaker" many think we should be taking with the 5th pick. And I wont even get started on the trade down at almost any cost Nazi's.

Shark, I've maintained all along that if scot deems scherff the BPA at 5, I'm fine with it. But if he doesn't and picks a WR , or OLB, I'm ok with that also. I don't doubt that scherff may be the best OL in the draft. But I also beleive there are other very qualified OL in this draft that will be available to us, so we don't need to reach if Scot doesn't beleive that scherff is the BPA at 5. I think it is more important to draft the best player that has the best chance of making an impact for us for years to come as this is not a one year deal (contrary to what dad thinks I beleive). As for drafting a guard in the top 5, all I will say is it is highly unorthodox. And there is probably a very sound reason for that. Teams don't take interior linemen that high. Want to take a guess as to why?

Does that clear up my position? I recognize that you beleive he is a top 5 pick. I'm fine with that, I don't feel the need to critize you for your opinion as it may be right. But it may also be wrong. Just like mine.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about.....um...we need to see if we have a Qb on the roster that can lead the team in the future instead of NEEDING a Qb next year...Why not put the best Oline possible in front of him to make sure he has every chance at success????

So we need a wr next year?? oh...Next year there will be no stud wr's so we better pounce now???
So you beleive all of rg3s issues were the result of a poor OL? Sorry, but he could have had the hogs as his OL last year and he would have still stunk. His issues are that he doesn't throw the ball soon enough and he can't read a defense. He has never had to throw to receivers before they make their cuts, his receivers in college were wide open because the defense was chasing him around.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

my philosophy has been out there for years build the LOS up 1st then move there

you take a good player no matter what position they play and dont have your hands tied by some certain unwritten rule about where a position should be picked

i dont buy that SM is a BPA only type no matter what he says because every GM says that . I have never heard a GM say i will reach for needs and what i cant believe is the simpleton press corp follows that like the pied piper leading rats to their death .

i am willing to bet he uses a little of both and lets the situation dictate who he picks

he may trade down if he feels he can still get his guy i am not sure there will be a trade there at all

he may decide he can get an o/lineman later maybe 2 or he may say o/line is my biggest issue and i need them early and often

trading back is a gamble in of itself . you could miss the guy you are targeting . you could pass on the next great player in favor of a couple of lesser ones
Shark, I've maintained all along that if scot deems scherff the BPA at 5, I'm fine with it. But if he doesn't and picks a WR , or OLB, I'm ok with that also. I don't doubt that scherff may be the best OL in the draft. But I also beleive there are other very qualified OL in this draft that will be available to us, so we don't need to reach if Scot doesn't beleive that scherff is the BPA at 5. I think it is more important to draft the best player that has the best chance of making an impact for us for years to come as this is not a one year deal (contrary to what dad thinks I beleive). As for drafting a guard in the top 5, all I will say is it is highly unorthodox. And there is probably a very sound reason for that. Teams don't take interior linemen that high. Want to take a guess as to why?

Does that clear up my position? I recognize that you beleive he is a top 5 pick. I'm fine with that, I don't feel the need to critize you for your opinion as it may be right. But it may also be wrong. Just like mine.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scherf would hardly be a reach . its never a reach to take a good o/lineman if you need one . now we can get one later for sure but it would be a step or 2 down in talent depending on when its picked up

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amen to that. This idea that people on this forum need to convince others here about the correct draft philosophy is amusing. None of us need to convince the others about anything - we are not the ones making the draft picks. I am 100% with you regarding SM & will give him the benefit of the doubt for at least 2 years.

I will be laughing & smiling if I read any posts on this forum a few days after the draft that even hint that SM is an idiot, made the completely wrong picks, etc. We don't have the expertise nor the access that any of these guys have regarding these future NFL players. For now - trust the fact that the picks made by the Redskins next week will be good ones until proven otherwise.

HTTR

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my philosophy has been out there for years build the LOS up 1st then move there

you take a good player no matter what position they play and dont have your hands tied by some certain unwritten rule about where a position should be picked

i dont buy that SM is a BPA only type no matter what he says because every GM says that . I have never heard a GM say i will reach for needs and what i cant believe is the simpleton press corp follows that like the pied piper leading rats to their death .

i am willing to bet he uses a little of both and lets the situation dictate who he picks

he may trade down if he feels he can still get his guy i am not sure there will be a trade there at all

he may decide he can get an o/lineman later maybe 2 or he may say o/line is my biggest issue and i need them early and often

trading back is a gamble in of itself . you could miss the guy you are targeting . you could pass on the next great player in favor of a couple of lesser ones

So if the goal is to take a good player no matter what position he plays, then why not Collins at 5? We need safeties and he is the best at his position.
As for if Scherff is a reach or not, you may not think so, but your not making the pick. That's scots decision. And my bet is that if he doesn't see him as a top 5 pick, he won't take him. Also, you are in the minority with that opinion. I bet less than 20% of the experts believe scheff is a top 5 pick. So I'm baffled as to why you take such offense when someone opines that he isn't worth it with the 5th pick?