• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Money to burn?

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Nelson Cruz will be one of Amaros targets for our next right fielder,I decided to make a comparison with Cruz and Ruf. With a 162 game average this is what I came up with: Home runs; Ruf (32),Cruz (27.) runs: Ruf (76,) Cruz (81). Rbis Ruf (76),Cruz (99.) Doubles: Ruf (25) Cruz (34) Triples: Ruf (2) and Cruz (2). BA; Ruf .257 and Cruz (.268).Slugging; Ruf (.489) and Cruz (.495). OPS: Ruf (838) and cruz (823). OPS+ Ruf (128) and Cruz (114). Ruf has an on base percentage of (.348 ) Cruz has an OBP of (327) Rufs stats aginst right handed pitching are way above Those of Cruz. Cruz bats only (.247) against right handed pitching,plus his on base percentage drops to (.295). Cruz is 33 yrs old,Ruf is 27 yrs old. Ruf is improving in the field,and Cruz is starting to decline. There is no doubt in my mind that Ruf can Drive in a 100 runs or more in a full season with people getting on base in front of him. Also,I believe that his average will improve. That being said,There is no way that it makes sense to give a 3 year contract worth 40 to 45 million or more to Cruz,when we can play Darin Ruf in right field as a regular. Ruf would cost us less than a million per year.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ruf may be a flash in the pan or he could be a decent producer. Who knows. Saying there is "no doubt" that Ruf can drive in 100 runs is not even close to being factual. I like Ruf. I hope he continues to produce. But, let's not get ridiculous here. I HOPE he produces 100 RBI.

What I do know is that Cruz blows, can't get on base, sucks when he isn't in Arlington, and isn't very good defensively.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruf may be a flash in the pan or he could be a decent producer. Who knows. Saying there is "no doubt" that Ruf can drive in 100 runs is not even close to being factual. I like Ruf. I hope he continues to produce. But, let's not get ridiculous here. I HOPE he produces 100 RBI.

What I do know is that Cruz blows, can't get on base, sucks when he isn't in Arlington, and isn't very good defensively.

Thanks to Amaro,Ruf will never get enough at bats to drive in 100 runs. Ruf will be a bench player. As far as platooning him to use against lefties, forget it! Ruf hits right handed pitching better. The other outfield option would be Choo, at least he has a good on base percentage. But Choo is looking for big bucks. But then again, since when did that stop Amaro?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't judge Ruf too much on RBIs anyway. He's one of the few guys on the team that will take a walk so he's never going to drive in a ton of runs, which is not a bad thing. The Phillies teams recently have had way too many "RBI guys" and not enough men on base for anyone to drive in.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't judge Ruf too much on RBIs anyway. He's one of the few guys on the team that will take a walk so he's never going to drive in a ton of runs, which is not a bad thing. The Phillies teams recently have had way too many "RBI guys" and not enough men on base for anyone to drive in.

Which is why Revere is important. I think Ruf will improve greatly if he's in one place for a full season. He could hit 30 homers next year. Maybe even cut down on his Ks.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Revere needs to learn how to take a pitch and get his OBP up.