• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Money Grab Series - Canucks host the Senators "Outdoors"

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this game on Sunday is rife with greed, bad PR and a terrible set up. An outdoor game that the NHL already said they will probably close the roof with the first sign of any moisture. Its a set up of, yes this is correct, the 1915 Stanley Cup Final rematch. They are ACTUALLY billing it as that. 2 teams that have ZERO rivalry. I would rather have had the Leafs in for this one. Its on at 1 and I will most likely not be able to see it live.

oh and there are thousands of tickets still available. for the average of $150 per ticket.

did you know they are putting white foam around the arena to simulate snow so it looks better on TV.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke this is, and both teams aren't playing worth shit either which makes it a million times worse - the whole Outdoor game thing has been a money grab - it should be two games max - Winter Classic and the Heritage Classic(a game that isn't Canucks/Senators)

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke this is, and both teams aren't playing worth shit either which makes it a million times worse - the whole Outdoor game thing has been a money grab - it should be two games max - Winter Classic and the Heritage Classic(a game that isn't Canucks/Senators)

and no alumni game either. I guess because the Senators dont have enough alumni players lol the 94 canucks team is here and there is really nothing they are doing with them.

friend of mine for the canucks and ran into Gillis in the elevator, Gillis was pissed (few people in the elevator) and one asked him hows it going and he went on a rant about the PR of this club, this outdoor games issues and the season in general, he is NOT in a good mood lol and he should not be.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and no alumni game either. I guess because the Senators dont have enough alumni players lol the 94 canucks team is here and there is really nothing they are doing with them.

friend of mine for the canucks and ran into Gillis in the elevator, Gillis was pissed (few people in the elevator) and one asked him hows it going and he went on a rant about the PR of this club, this outdoor games issues and the season in general, he is NOT in a good mood lol and he should not be.

And Gillis is responsible for some of that lol

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

620-gillis-mike-thumb-620xauto-296802.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did anyone see him last night in the arena. wow he looks terrible even worse than that picture. his pressure is immense and he has no idea how to fix this.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the story that accompanies that pic, Matty (dated May 9, 2013). So here we are 10 months later and I don't see significant changes to the team.

Canucks GM Mike Gillis admits team needs retooling | Stanley Cup 2013 | CBC Sports

He cant manage a team, he is showing signs that he may not even be a good president, everything seems to be crumbling around him and he has no answers to anything. hell even the media are feeling sorry for this team. that CANT be good lol

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently the no alumni game thing was because the organizers didn't feel there was enough time due to other bookings. Why have it on this date then? :scratch:

This is kind of a joke of an "outdoor" game.

All the ticket availability of an outdoor game without the actual, you know, fun and tradition of being outdoors!!! YAY.

Such a cash grab that appears to be backfiring because Vancouverites are refusing to pay high prices to watch a game between two random NHL teams on poor ice while doing so from poor sight lines.

Garbage.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Btw, nhl dictated pricing on this 100%
There was an opportunity to have cheap tickets in the upper bowl at least, to allow families that can't otherwise afford an NHL ticket to see the game.
But no, almighty greed took over. I'm glad it's backfiring, and wish that it had at all of them this year.
Absolutely cashgrab to make up for the lost season.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, nhl dictated pricing on this 100%
There was an opportunity to have cheap tickets in the upper bowl at least, to allow families that can't otherwise afford an NHL ticket to see the game.
But no, almighty greed took over. I'm glad it's backfiring, and wish that it had at all of them this year.
Absolutely cashgrab to make up for the lost season.

All these outdoor games doesn't sit well with me.

Yoda forbid how the shit will hit the fan if a superstar blows out his knee, or achilles, on some the rutted, shitty ice these guys play on in the outdoor games.

:lame:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these outdoor games doesn't sit well with me.

Yoda forbid how the shit will hit the fan if a superstar blows out his knee, or achilles, on some the rutted, shitty ice these guys play on in the outdoor games.

:lame:

Maybe it's just me being sour but I think if all but a handfull of players got major injuries in an outdoor game, they would continue. In fact I think an injury to one particular player is the only way these garbage gangs end.

I was listening to NHL radio a couple months ago before the first outdoor game of the year. The two hosts were taking about how great the outdoor games are and were taking about everything but the game. A third person asked about the games themselves and the two hosts said they are slow and sloppy BUT the atmosphere!!!!! The game is a distant second to a circus in events like these and I hate it.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me being sour but I think if all but a handfull of players got major injuries in an outdoor game, they would continue. In fact I think an injury to one particular player is the only way these garbage gangs end.

I was listening to NHL radio a couple months ago before the first outdoor game of the year. The two hosts were taking about how great the outdoor games are and were taking about everything but the game. A third person asked about the games themselves and the two hosts said they are slow and sloppy BUT the atmosphere!!!!! The game is a distant second to a circus in events like these and I hate it.

Agreed.

And I apologize for the grammatical outdoor game I laid down in the previous post. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that note, I think Penguins fans have to be a little wary of the outdoor game tonight.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if its a good or a bad thing but the nhl is intent on keeping the roof open and wouldnt u know it, snow is in the weather forecast for vancouver tomorrow

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And btw its expected to turn to rain

And the way the retractable fabric roof opens and closes is kinda like a folding umbrella ... So ... They cant close the roof with the weight of snow on it without risk of tearing the fabric to shreds

So yah

This could end up being very very very bad

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this game on Sunday is rife with greed, bad PR and a terrible set up. An outdoor game that the NHL already said they will probably close the roof with the first sign of any moisture. Its a set up of, yes this is correct, the 1915 Stanley Cup Final rematch. They are ACTUALLY billing it as that. 2 teams that have ZERO rivalry. I would rather have had the Leafs in for this one. Its on at 1 and I will most likely not be able to see it live.

oh and there are thousands of tickets still available. for the average of $150 per ticket.

did you know they are putting white foam around the arena to simulate snow so it looks better on TV.

:L

The team's been around for 20 years. They can't find 20 guys to play? Tugnutt lives in Ottawa for crying out loud. That's the hard part. Finding the goalie.

And btw its expected to turn to rain

And the way the retractable fabric roof opens and closes is kinda like a folding umbrella ... So ... They cant close the roof with the weight of snow on it without risk of tearing the fabric to shreds

So yah

This could end up being very very very bad

I have a friend that usually works the control room in DC for Redskins games and he is there. He has already posted on facebook twice that "it's not my fault".

Not exactly sure what he's referring to. He did the Yankee Stadium game too. He did not enjoy that either.

C'mon NHL. These games were a novelty. And when you do six a year, the novelty is gone. Cut it out.

You want Novelty, let's have two games between the Stanley cup finalists in each team's Captain's junior or college rink. Make it a festival. Charge 50 bucks to get in, have a tailgate atmosphere with big screens everywhere. Yeah, seats are limited, but outside will be one HELL of a party. THAT'S a winter classic.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the NHL have a local blackout rule if it's not a sellout?

Do you think anybody is going to be in the stands with a paper bag over their head?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: