• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Suspends David Wright for Dirty Slide

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013-06-21_David_Wright_sldies_into_Chase_Utley_Angle_2.gif

Oh wait, no they didn't.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit!!!

Wright was a goddamn maniac right there!!! Could kill someone playing that way.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit!!!

Wright was a goddamn maniac right there!!! Could kill someone playing that way.

Mostly likely himself. How many weeks was Wright out after that one?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're an idiot. He clearly did not go in as hard as Utley did on Saturday and also he did not wait until he was already at 2nd base to begin his slide.

Apples and Oranges kid

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're an idiot. He clearly did not go in as hard as Utley did on Saturday and also he did not wait until he was already at 2nd base to begin his slide.

Apples and Oranges kid
A takeout slide is a takeout slide. No one has ever been suspended for it before. There have been countless plays throughout MLB history and several this year. Only now has it warranted a suspension? Please.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A takeout slide is a takeout slide. No one has ever been suspended for it before. There have been countless plays throughout MLB history and several this year. Only now has it warranted a suspension? Please.

I never said it warranted a suspension. I was just fine with no suspension and Harvey drilling a Dodgers between the numbers in the 1st inning and moving on from this after that. A 2 game suspension is a bit much to be honest.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Villain, I don't mean to get into a nit-picky, "THIS is okay...but THAT is not." And I get the point you're trying to make, but I think you needed a better example of a Met player going in hard than that one. The collision on Saturday was appreciably more violent...DUH, a guy got his leg broke.

Baseball seems to have more UN-written rules and interpretations, than actual written ones. This is why I don't really have the stomach for a "this one is worse than that one" argument. And of course, it's always worse when it happens to my player...but in this instance, the reality is that it WAS worse due to the resulting fracture. Yes, it can happen on any collision.

That's why I think this is more a reactive, PR move by baseball to show that they care about player safety. Guys are making beaucoup bucks for themselves and their franchises, and they have a powerful union.

Again, I'm more pissed at MLB for the way they have handled this, both during the game and now that they're in damage control mode, than I am at Utley. I am still utterly baffled by the calls they made and the subsequent explanations of why those were the correct calls, but then - OH WAIT - they weren't the correct calls, at all...???

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The above bolded is false. There is a way to do a takeout slide that gets the job done and isn't done with malice. Also, using MLB history as your crutch doesn't help your argument. They didn't used to wear batting helmets either....are you opposed to those too? Precedent was set on player safety with the Posey injury in 2011. MLB will most likely clean up the language of their rules this off season to protect pivot players.

Regarding the bolded above. It's like saying that sliding foot first is the same as sliding spikes up. You and I BOTH know it's bullshit, you are just pissed because it's your guy who went Ty Cobb on Tejada. Utley doesn't start his slide until he's damn near on the bag. If you are going to brush that aside as "hard nosed baseball", then I will respond that if Harvey ear-holed Utley, it's just "hard nosed baseball", not head hunting.

You can say the slide was hard nosed, but it were Corey Seager that got his knee torn up by a David Wright slide-tackle, we both know you would probably be bitching from the mountain tops about how bush league David Wright is instead of showing a video where he actually slid BEFORE getting to the base.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Villain, I don't mean to get into a nit-picky, "THIS is okay...but THAT is not." And I get the point you're trying to make, but I think you needed a better example of a Met player going in hard than that one. The collision on Saturday was appreciably more violent...DUH, a guy got his leg broke.

Baseball seems to have more UN-written rules and interpretations, than actual written ones. This is why I don't really have the stomach for a "this one is worse than that one" argument. And of course, it's always worse when it happens to my player...but in this instance, the reality is that it WAS worse due to the resulting fracture. Yes, it can happen on any collision.

That's why I think this is more a reactive, PR move by baseball to show that they care about player safety. Guys are making beaucoup bucks for themselves and their franchises, and they have a powerful union.

Again, I'm more pissed at MLB for the way they have handled this, both during the game and now that they're in damage control mode, than I am at Utley. I am still utterly baffled by the calls they made and the subsequent explanations of why those were the correct calls, but then - OH WAIT - they weren't the correct calls, at all...???

I have no dog in the fight and I was blown away by what they called and how they dug their heels in the sand to protect their terrible decisions and rationale.