• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Salary Cap Challenge Playoff Game 4

Which team is better?

• TEAM SEVEN

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • TEAM EIGHT

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay good analogy but if they won it with 2 guys that hit 20HR why not a team that 5 that are hitting 20+ HRS, has a equally as good pitching and 2 great closers. Rosenthal is leading the league in saves.

Yes guys get on base then someone drives them home. I hear this over and over. I rather have the guys who drive home the runs then the guys who get on base. 4 bases is more then 1 base, I thought. Once again I respect everyone's opinion and obviously I am the minority in this but I prefer power hitters compared to playing small ball.

Theres a few reasons teams don't just sign all the best home run hitters, one your defense would probably not be good and two you cant count on guys to hit home runs all the time, players are streaky. Small ball with a couple HR hitters is a much better way to play.

You want a reason? Leadoff hitter walks, steals 2nd advances to third on a groundout to 2nd. Scores on a Sac Fly to center. Well looky there you scored a run without a hit, you need to be able to score when guys aren't hitting home runs. And to be honest it's not like your team has a roster full of Henry Aaron's. If you are only counting on home runs to score you probably ain't gonna win much.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck sake people can't someone have a different opinion then you.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck sake people can't someone have a different opinion then you.

Sorry, it's not a matter of opinion. But chicks dig the long ball so... :suds:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ritz I can use the Tigers as a example. Played long ball last year still won with it.

Tigers had more stolen bases by May than all of last year. Lead in doubles/hits and AVG. in AL.

two different syles, still works. Just seems to be better small ball.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real question is the likelihood of events and the favorability of sequencing.

You are more likely to get a favorable run-scoring sequence (moreover, a multiple run-scoring sequence) if your guys are prone to get on base with limited power. Home runs are obviously the most valuable hits, but they are also less likely than singles, and the value of two singles is not so far from one home run as you might thing. That's the benefit of guys who hit for average and draw walks. They are prone to more likely if less favorable events. But if enough of those more likely but less favorable events happen, then more value has been added overall.

This is why Joey Votto is always a good hitter, even when he's not going well. He has an extremely sustainable skill. So his events, individually on average, are not as valuable as a Chris Carter's, but they happen sufficiently more often to make Votto the much better hitter.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need more votes...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66